Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be shocked if they missed, but unless post-production is heavier than expected, I think they’ll both make it.

Hulu will probably rush Nine Perfect Strangers to premiere in time. Other than A Teacher (which isn’t happening), they don’t have anything else going on in Limited. They finished filming in December, so it’s not a stretch that they’d be able to get post-prod out in time, especially with the fact that they do weekly releases.

According to IMDb Pro, Inventing Anna entered post-production just a few days ago. It’ll be tight, but I think Netflix can get it just under the line. For how few are actually nominated, they like to have a decent amount of Limited Series in contention, so I doubt they hold it intentionally, especially because Shonda is so hot off of Bridgerton that I’m sure they’d love to campaign two of her shows side by side. And Julia Garner is That Girl right now.

They’re teetering, but I think if the studios push they’ll happen in time.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Hulu will probably rush Nine Perfect Strangers to premiere in time. Other than A Teacher (which isn’t happening), they don’t have anything else going on in Limited. They finished filming in December, so it’s not a stretch that they’d be able to get post-prod out in time, especially with the fact that they do weekly releases.

I don’t know how voters will feel about two Nicole Kidman mystery thrillers in one Emmy season.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Curious to see if Hulu do any sort of campaign for McCarthy similar to what Apple did for Aniston/Carell in The Morning Show, a “Movie Star Returns to TV”, if you will.

Yes, she’s won Emmys before for Mike & Molly (which I’m pretty sure most people don’t even know that existed outside of its first season) and hosting SNL (kinda counts but not really) and did appear on the 2016 Gilmore revival (which from what I hear was terrible and quickly forgotten about).

So for most people this will be the first time they’ve seen her in a reccurring / scripted role since the OG Gilmore Girls (justice for Samantha Who?). And in that’s interim, she’s became a multiple Oscar nominee and essentially the only 2010s made movie star without the need/reliance of a franchise.

Just feels like something to consider.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I May Destroy You
    The Queen’s Gambit
    Small Axe
    The Underground Railroad
    WandaVision

Feel pretty confident right now in those 5.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

They should expand this field to at least six nominees in both lead acting and series.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

so might as well do it here.

I feel like we have the same-ish ranking lol.

I am very confident in the top 3. <i>The Underground Railroad </i>obviously isn’t locked until we see it but it feels like Mrs. America did this time last year. Its pedigree and topicality feels too hard to ignore.

I have Small Axe and It’s a Sin in the last two slots but I am shaky about them both getting into Series. I think It’s a Sin is looking like it’s an international hit and I think it’s only going to be helped by its rollout across international territories over the next month. It also seems like HBO is running a massive campaign for it (especially for Olly Alexander, Lydia West and Neil Patrick Harris although I think he’s ineligible). Although the A Very English Scandal similarities are very much there.

Small Axe is doing very well so far and I think right now (if we’re talking about shows that have competed at the winter awards) it’s third but my main concern with it is I wonder if its classification by some as motion pictures whether Academy members have actually seen the whole anthology. Or if they’ve only seen the first three (which have more votes per episode than the show as a whole on IMDB). Boyega is safe and I think it’s safe in writing, directing and probably casting but I fear for it in Series. Fingers crossed I’m wrong.

Also I absolutely agree about Wandavision. My only fear really about it is that it could get lots of nominations (well actually it will get lots of nominations) but just miss out on Series and Actress. Olsen is in a similar situation to Lydia West (if she goes lead) in the sense that both have the most acclaimed and buzzed about performances from their shows and will probably get the most votes of the cast but could miss out because of the competition. It’s certainly competitive (nominations wise) in Actress and Series and I agree with the notion that Bettany and Hahn (who even HBO are campaigning for lol) are locked.

And yeah I am also sceptical about Mare of Easttown and <i>Nine Perfect Strangers</i>. I think some of the Emmy favourites among the cast should do well (i.e. Jean Smart) but I am not confident about Winslet or Kidman. I have learnt that even if the shows don’t do well that David E. Kelley and Ryan Murphy can easily get actors nominated so I have Hugh Grant and Donald Sutherland getting in for The Undoing and Michael Shannon getting in for Nine Perfect Strangers and I might slot Regina Hall in. I did have McCarthy but I heard here that she might go lead. She’d be an easy prediction in supporting if she was submitted there imo.

I feel like It’s a Sin is going to be Bodyguard 2.0 where it’s only popular in certain parts of the world.

Well that makes sense considering they are both record breaking British pop cultural phenomenons that are popular in Europe and have Keeley Hawes being very prominent in one hand and not so much in the other half of the show (😰).

In all seriousness I do think that is a possible scenario but what really helps it is its subject matter. Bodyguard was a populist hit (which in some ways was controversial) that came in October and ran out of buzz by the time of the Emmys. It’s a Sin is a show that whilst it is a hit like Bodyguard was internationally and especially in the UK and Europe (although not in the same way), it has more behind it that gives it a greater rooting factor. It’s a Sin is an AIDS drama that has an education value and a sense of topicality because of its exploration of a virus that goes out of control due to denial and a lack of information.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that whilst I understand the <i>Bodyguard </i>comparison, I don’t know whether it and It’s a Sin are comparable. Sure It’s a Sin might not do very well at the Emmys but I think it probably has more in common with the likes of Small Axe and I May Destroy You than it does Bodyguard. That’s not me saying it will do as well as those shows are projected to do at the Emmys (I am bullish about It’s a Sin‘s chances but I don’t see it getting to I May Destroy You‘s level of buzz because IMDY seems almost unstoppable and that it has only a few months to build Emmy buzz). But I think it’s more comparable to those shows in the sense that it’s a socially relevant popular show in Europe and a pop cultural phenomenon in the UK that happens to be a HBO co-productioon which HBO is campaigning for and big celebrities have picked upon to campaign its lead and its creatives behind it (in <i>I May Destroy You</i>’s case that is the same person).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s going to be hard to predict who is the frontrunner for S. Actor. I anticipate Small Axe will submit all their cast in supporting if Boyega wins on Sunday which would make him the one to beat (egregious category fraud by the way) but if they don’t submit Boyega in supporting then who will be the frontrunner? Neil Patrick Harris and Bill Camp deliver great performances but they look like they’re going to be ineligible. Paapa Essiedu looks like he could win the BAFTA but the Emmy? Idk. William Jackson Harper hasn’t been prominent at all in any of the promos for <i>The Underground Railroad</i>?

I guess someone else from The Underground Railroad?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Sériextou
    Topics:

It’s going to be hard to predict who is the frontrunner for S. Actor. I anticipate Small Axe will submit all their cast in supporting if Boyega wins on Sunday which would make him the one to beat (egregious category fraud by the way) but if they don’t submit Boyega in supporting then who will be the frontrunner? Neil Patrick Harris and Bill Camp deliver great performances but they look like they’re going to be ineligible. Paapa Essiedu looks like he could win the BAFTA but the Emmy? Idk. William Jackson Harper hasn’t been prominent at all in any of the promos for <i>The Underground Railroad</i>?

I guess someone else from The Underground Railroad?

Unfortunately, Donald Sutherland, making a single good scene in The Undoing

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

I don’t know how voters will feel about two Nicole Kidman mystery thrillers in one Emmy season.

Well, 9PS as written is neither mysterious nor thrilling.

The only character who is at all memorable or interesting is Nicole’s though so there’s that.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Is Raised by Wolves in this category? If so, than it should be winning Limited Series in my opinion.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Just saw the last Wandavision ep and Elizabeth MUST be nominated

Theres no other way

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Just LOCK Elizabeth Olsen, RIGHT NOW

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

And Wandavision is a lock for the creative arts noms

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Jesus can that Actress category get more competitive? I am already predicting Winslet and Kidman snubs (although Kidman’s chances have been significantly improved by Nine Perfect Strangers missing eligibility). I’m not predicting Olsen and I’m still behind on <i>Wandavision</i> but I feel like she is just getting stronger with each passing episode.

This is assuming Scenes From a Marriage, Oslo (which they didn’t show footage for in HBO’s 2021 trailer even though it finished shooting two months ago!) and The White Lotus miss eligibility.

Limited/Movie Emmy predictions pre Golden Globes  

Limited Series (am feeling weirdly confident that even if the placements of these shows end up being very different on nominations day that these shows are all in the top 10)

1. I May Destroy You (HBO)
    2. The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
    3. The Underground Railroad (Amazon)
    4. Small Axe (Amazon)
    5. It’s a Sin (HBO Max)

6. Wandavision (Disney+)
    7. Inventing Anna (Netflix)
    8. Genius : Aretha (NatGeo)
    9. Mare of Easttown (HBO)
    10. The Undoing (HBO)

TV Movie

1. No Sudden Move (HBO Max)
    2. Sylvie’s Love (Amazon)
    3. Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square (Netflix)
    4. Uncle Frank (Amazon)
    5. Euphoria : Jules (HBO)

Actor

1. Ewan McGregor, Halston
    2. Olly Alexander, It’s a Sin
    3. Hugh Grant, The Undoing
    4. Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird
    5. Paul Bettany, Wandavision

6. Leslie Odom-Jr., Hamilton
    7. Tahar Rahim, The Serpent
    8. Lin Manuel-Miranda, Hamilton
    9. Bryan Cranston, Your Honour
    10. Jeff Daniels, The Comey Rule

Actress

1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Thuso Mbedu, The Underground Railroad
    4. Julia Garner, Inventing Anna
    5. Cynthia Erivo, Genius : Aretha

6. Elizabeth Olsen, Wandavision
    7. Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown
    8. Nicole Kidman, The Undoing
    9. Lydia West, It’s a Sin
    10. Tessa Thompson, Sylvie’s Love

S. Actor

1. John Boyega, Small Axe
    2. Bill Camp, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Donald Sutherland, The Undoing
    4. Thomas Brodie-Sangster, The Queen’s Gambit
    5. Joel Edgerton, The Underground Railroad
    6. Courtney B. Vance, Genius : Aretha

7. Shaun Parkes, Small Axe
    8. Aaron Pierre, The Underground Railroad
    9. Paapa Essiedu, I May Destroy You
    10. Guy Pearce, Mare of Easttown

S. Actress

1. Anna Chlumsky, Inventing Anna
    2. Marielle Heller, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Kathryn Hahn, Wandavision
    4. Jean Smart, Mare of Easttown
    5. Amber Gray, The Underground Railroad
    6. Keeley Hawes, It’s a Sin

7. Lily Rabe, The Underground Railroad
    8. Laverne Cox, Inventing Anna
    9. Weruche Opia, I May Destroy You
    10. Krysta Rodriguez, Halston

Writing

1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    3. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin
    4. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    5. Alistair Siddons and Steve McQueen, Small Axe (“Mangrove”)

6. Bobak Esfarjani and Megan McDonnell, Wandavision (“We Interrupt This Program”)
    7. Shonda Rhimes, Inventing Anna
    8. Jac Shaeffer, Wandavision (“Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”)
    9. Ethan Hawke and Mark Richard, The Good Lord Bird (“Last Words”)
    10. Cameron Squires, Wandavision (“Previously On”)

Directing

1. Steve McQueen, Small Axe
    2. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    3. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    4. Matt Shakman, Wandavision
    5. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    6. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin

7. David Frankel, Inventing Anna
    8. Craig Zobel, Mare of Easttown
    9. Susanne Bier, The Undoing
    10. Tom Shankland, The Serpent (“Episode 1”)

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I think Cynthia Erivo could be win competitive so I would put her in the top 3 right now. Octavia Spencer happened last year for a buzzless and mediocrely received limited series, so Erivo’s chances are high if this is acclaimed and considering the Emmys already embraced Genius. Playing a real person is still awards bait it seems (also looking at Andra Day rising every day). Her release date is even similar to Spencer’s, late March.

With how competitive the field is, there will be major snubs. It will be interesting to see if the Emmys care about Julia Garner, or if they care about Julia Garner in Ozark. Shira Haas proved nobodies can break in even over A listers, so that bolds well for Thuso Mbedu.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.