Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    distain
    Topics:

Congratulations Elizabeth Olsen for your first Emmy nomination.

I think you meant congratulations Elizabeth Olsen on your first Emmy win.

She’s got this, imho. This is absolutely Regina King in Watchmen all over again. Not comparing their respective shows, but Olsen is getting close to undeniable right now. She never has a weak episode. And none of her competition displays anything like the range she is showing.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I would just say the category is very much up in the air. Taylor-Joy, Olsen, and Coel (and maybe even Mbedu) are all contenders and no one is way ahead of the others.

Taylor-Joy was in a cultural phenomenon of a show, has 3 (likely to be acclaimed) movies this year, and will likely win GG and possibly SAG.

Olsen’s buzz is currently skyrocketing, WandaVision is going to be one of the most-watched shows of the year, and she has many emotional/“showy” scenes.

Coel is in the most-acclaimed show of the year, has a good chance at winning the BAFTA, and was nominated at SAG.

All three could win, If I had to guess right now, I would guess Taylor-Joy still has the edge. But who knows what will happen in the next 7 months.

I do feel comfortable in predicting all 3 for nominations at this point.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree Olsen has potential (even if I don’t see it right now) but Regina King in Watchmen again? Chile please.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Will there even be another King in Watchmen-esque performance has for while?

The way she emotes her eyes and this one line reading alone in episode 7 >> careers

King1

Profile picture
    distain
    Topics:

Will there even be another King in Watchmen-esque performance has for while?

The way she emotes her eyes and this one line reading alone in episode 7 >> careers

King1

One episode left of Wandavision and I’m extremely comfortable saying Olsen is as good as King in Watchmen (very different roles that require very different approaches, but I can’t seperate them in terms of value). Each gave the best television performance of their respective years (I’ll be shocked if anyone can top Olsen, simply because her role has so much scope to play that I can’t see in any upcoming contenders), regardless of gender.

And King was by far and away my favorite TV performance of last year, and I was rooting for her to win everything. And before Wandavision, I had no particular interest in or regard for Olsen as an actress, so I’m not even saying this with any particular attachment to her as a fan. She is simply THAT good in this role, so that is why the comparison to King is apt to me,and not an overstatement. And I think she will become the limited series actress favorite and an awards juggernaut going forward.

Profile picture
    distain
    Topics:

Not too much now, she might not even be nominated for having an early air time

I think there will be riots if she isn’t nominated. I think she is a lock for the nomination.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I’d put Olsen behind Coel and ahead of Anya for performance. It could go either way where the tv academy embrace the new direction Marvel has gone in or completely ignore the stars and only give them crafts.

I’m a massive fan of Michaela, but if she had to lose, I’d definitely want it to be to Olsen rather than Taylor-Joy.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There’s no way Bettany and Hahn are being nominated and not Olsen, regardless of how competitive the actress category is.  

Last year Elisabeth Moss missed for <i>The Handmaid’s Tale </i>even though the show got nominated for two other actors above the line (one of whom essentially cameod) and in Series. Bob Odenkirk, Rhea Seehorn and Jonathan Banks missed for Better Call Saul even though the show got nominated in Series and for Giancarlo Esposito (who again many didn’t see as worthy as his co-stars for a nomination for his work this season). Merritt Wever missed for Unbelievable despite being considered by critics and audiences to have delivered the best performance in a show that was nominated in Series and S. Actress. Andrew Scott missed out for Fleabag due to the competitiveness of his category in spite of his character being one of the biggest factors of Fleabag‘s rise in the zeitgeist and getting in later at the winter awards.

I hope Olsen gets in because from what I’ve seen so far she is absolutely EXCELLENT (as she always is, she’s pretty underrated and should already have been nominated at the Oscars for Martha Marcy May Marlene). But it’s not implausible to consider her getting possibly snubbed whilst Bettany and Hahn get nominated when we don’t know how the Academy will respond to Wandavision (i.e. will it be a series nominee or is it just a directing + tech player) and when after Coel and Taylor-Joy, she is facing competition from a 2 time Emmy winner, 2 Academy Award winners, an Academy Award nominee and Tony winner in a baity role and two newcomers from potential series contenders.

It’s a bit like how this year Jean Smart and Kate Winslet could get the same amount of buzz whilst the former gets nominated but the latter gets snubbed due to the competitiveness of her category. Or how Olly Alexander has less acclaim and is less of “the breakout of It’s a Sin” than Lydia West but he’ll likely be top 6 whilst she might struggle to be in the top 10. I guess to cut a long story short, Hahn and Olsen could receive the same amount of nomination votes but Hahn gets nominated in a weaker category whilst Olsen misses in an ultra competitive one. I understand how it may seem illogical at first but it isn’t implausible when we’ve seen these situations play out many times before (Olsen could of course overcome this if Wandavision ends up being a strong player).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I just noticed that if Michaela Coel wins the Emmy for Lead Actress and/or I May Destroy You wins Series it’d ironically be a similar path to Parasite winning Best Director and Best Picture at the Oscars. That obviously doesn’t necessarily mean Michaela Coel will win and  film and television awards aren’t comparable but here’s what I mean:

– Both Parasite and I May Destroy You under-performed at the Globes with the former only winning International feature and the latter getting shut out completely.

– Both had a surge in buzz and visibility amongst the industry and general public during awards season (I May Destroy You is already having this surge as evidenced by the more and more of A listers in Hollywood praising it and how it has surged in registered IMDB votes by 3k since the Globe nominations were announced (it previously stagnated around 7k).

– Both are auteur pieces that were/are the frontrunner for writing awards.

– Both are from creatives who Hollywood are dying to award and whose past projects have been thrust more into the limelight as a result of their current pieces of work (see Snowpiercer surging in popularity during the Oscars season or Chewing Gum surging in popularity right now).

– Both led the critics aggregate by a large margin.

Anya Taylor-Joy is winning the Golden Globe but if Michaela Coel wins CC and SAG then she might have a similar path to a Lead Actress win to the one Bong Joon Ho had to a Directing win at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Last year Elisabeth Moss missed for <i>The Handmaid’s Tale </i>even though the show got nominated for two other actors above the line (one of whom essentially cameod) and in Series.  

Don’t remind us about this! The way they did their own queen, the QUEEN of peak TV, I can’t…

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Not you comparing IMDY/Michaela Coel to Parasite -_- That makes literally no sense. How did Parasite underperform at the Globes? Sure, it didn’t get any acting noms, but no one was expecting it to. And yeah, Bong lost director, but IMDY wasn’t even nominated anywhere. Also, one’s a movie, the other a TV show; one’s competing at the Oscars, the other at the Emmys. They aren’t comparable at all.

I’ve also thought IMDY was going to do much better at the Emmys than, for instance, the Globes. The Emmys actually recognize quality (most of the time), and this whole outrage over IMDY’s Globe snubs will only help it — which I think is what you were trying to get at.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not you comparing IMDY/Michaela Coel to Parasite -_- That makes literally no sense. How did Parasite underperform at the Globes? Sure, it didn’t get any acting noms, but no one was expecting it to. And yeah, Bong lost director, but IMDY wasn’t even nominated anywhere. Also, one’s a movie, the other a TV show; one’s competing at the Oscars, the other at the Emmys. They aren’t comparable at all. I’ve also thought IMDY was going to do much better at the Emmys than, for instance, the Globes. The Emmys actually recognize quality (most of the time), and this whole outrage over IMDY’s Globe snubs will only help it — which I think is what you were trying to get at.

I’m talking more about the momentum behind the two being quite similar rather than them actually being similar word for word (I mentioned it’s a flawed comparison). Of course there are different things helping and hindering them and like I said one is the Oscars and one is the Emmys.

But just like <i>Parasite </i>for example, I May Destroy You wasn’t expected to land at SAG and just like ParasiteI May Destroy You doesn’t need the Globes for Michaela Coel to win (the latter of which I think we’re in similar agreement over).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Don’t remind us about this! The way they did their own queen, the QUEEN of peak TV, I can’t…

She was robbed.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.