Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Will Winslet even get nominated?

Not sure she will (there’s like a 7ish contenders above her right pre-premiere) but include her as a possibility if it becomes a either critical and/or commercial success.

I feel like the Television Academy is fatigued by these A list led murder mysteries that don’t add anything new. Look at how Defending Jacob tanked.

This.

Yep I absolutely agree with this except will Lewis Reeves even be submitted? He was excellent and I know he was TVLine’s performer of the week but he wasn’t even listed as a part of the show’s ensemble win at the Spirits.

Essiedu is someone we need to watch out for. He could maybe even win considering how open that category is if Boyega goes lead.

Looking back at the past decade of Limited winners (2011-present), and 7/10 had (at least) four acting nominations. 2/3 exceptions (Downton S1 and Chernobyl), also won Directing & Writing. The 3rd exception, Behind the Candleabra went 11/15 in wins.

Hesitant if IMDY can win directing right now (ask me again in July) but if it doesn’t, based on history, it would need a 4th acting nom to pull off a Series win. And Reeves would be the most viable nomination outside of the core cast trio

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am also am beginning to become quite sceptical about Tahar Rahim. It’s an excellent performance (although not as strong as the one he delivered in The Mauritanian) and he would be a deserving of the nomination but my god that character has no redeeming features whatsoever. We’ve seen actors win for villainous and psychopathic performances before that is true but those have tended to be in sweeps (see Alexander Skarsgard and Ann Dowd) which isn’t something I see <i>The Serpent </i>as having potential of doing. I guess that doesn’t really affect his chances of a nomination and with that April 2nd air date it does look like Netflix might be angling for Emmy recognition for this show but I don’t know there’s something that feels off about this one.

Not sure she will (there’s like a 7ish contenders above her right pre-premiere) but include her as a possibility if it becomes a either critical and/or commercial success.

I mean she of course could potentially happen (almost no one has seen this show yet) but I don’t think she could happen on her own.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Two virals tweets for the same pictures and some of you think she is easily losing her twitter favorite status for Olsen…

https://twitter.com/Iebsianss/status/1365516801782779907
    https://twitter.com/anyafiles/status/1365497877787783170

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Two virals tweets for the same pictures and some of you think she is easily losing her twitter favorite status for Olsen…

https://twitter.com/Iebsianss/status/1365516801782779907
    https://twitter.com/anyafiles/status/1365497877787783170

The 1-2-3 punch of Emma, New Mutants and Queen’s Gambit really pushed her from indie darling to top star.

You love to see it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You guys do realise how many people Anya Taylor-Joy has/is working with in Hollywood right? This woman could very well win the supporting Oscar next year for any of her three upcoming Oscar contending films lmao.

I honestly don’t see how this isn’t between her and Coel.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Pre-Globe winners Primetime predictions

Limited or Anthology Series

01. I May Destroy You (HBO)
    02. The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
    03. Small Axe (Prime Video)
    04. It’s a Sin (HBO Max)
    05. The Underground Railroad (Prime Video)

06. WandaVision (Disney+)
    07. The Good Lord Bird (Showtime)
    08. Genius: Aretha (NatGeo)
    09. Inventing Anna (Netflix)
    10. Euphoria (HBO)

TV Movie (assuming Elizabeth Is ineligible and Euphoria is a miniseries)

01. Olso (HBO)
    02. Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks (BBC America)
    03. Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square (Netflix)
    04. Black Narcissus (FX)
    05. Wendy Williams: The Movie (Lifetime)

06. Sylvie’s Love (Prime Video)
    07. Uncle Frank (Prime Video)
    08. Death to 2020 (Netflix)

Lead Actor

01. Hugh Grant – The Undoing
    02. Ethan Hawke – The Good Lord Bird
    03. Olly Alexander – It’s a Sin
    04. Paul Bettany – WandaVision
    05. Ewan McGregor – Simply Halston

06. Tahar Rahim – The Serpent
    07. Aaron Pierre – The Underground Railroad
    08. Lin-Manuel Miranda – Hamilton
    09. Leslie Odom, Jr – Hamilton
    10. Andrew Scott – Olso

Lead Actress

01. Anya Taylor-Joy – The Queen’s Gambit
    02. Michaela Coel – I May Destroy You
    03. Elisabeth Olsen – WandaVision
    04. Thomas Mbedu – The Underground Railroad
    05. Julia Garner – Inventing Anna

06. Lydia West – It’s a Sin
    07. Cynthia Erivo – Genius: Aretha
    08. Kate Winslet – Mare of Easttown
    09. Nicole Kidman – The Undoing
    10. Zendaya – Euphoria

Sup. Actor

01. John Boyega – Small Axe
    02. Bill Camp – The Queen’s Gambit
    03. Neil Patrick Harris – It’s a Sun
    04. Papa Essiedu – I May Destry You
    05. Shaun Parkes – Small Axe
    06. Lewis Reeves – I May Destroy You

07. Thomas Brodie-Sangster – The Queen’s Gambit
    08. Callum Scott Howells – It’s a Sin
    09. Courtney B. Vance – Genius: Aretha
    10. Colman Domingo – Euphoria
    11. Joel Edgerton – The Underground Railroad
    12. William Jackson Harper – The Underground Railroad
    13. Glynn Turman – Fargo

Sup. Actress

01. Kathryn Hahn – WandaVision
    02. Marielle Heller – The Queen’s Gambit
    03. Keeley Hawes – It’s a Sin
    04. Amber Gray – The Underground Railroad
    06. Letitia Wright – Small Axe
    06. Weruche Opia – I May Destroy You

07. Anna Chlumsky – Inventing Anna
    08. Hunter Schafer – Euphoria
    09. Laverne Cox – Inventing Anna
    10. Diana Riggs – Black Narcissus

Directing

01. Steve McQueen – Small Axe
    02. Sam Miller and Michaela Coel – I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    03. Scott Frank – The Queen’s Gambit
    04. Sam Miller – I May Destroy You (“Eyes Eyes Eyes”)
    05. Matt Shankman – WandaVision
    06. Barry Jenkins – The Underground Railroad

07. Albert Hughes – The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)
    08. Peter Hoar – It’s a Sun
    09. Susanne Bier – The Undoing
    10. Luca Guadagnino – We Are Who We Are (“right here right now #4”)

Writing

01. Michaela Coel – I May Destroy You
    02. Russell T. Davies – It’s a Sin
    03. Steve McQueen and Alastair Siddons – Small Axe (“Mangrove”, “Alex Wheattle” or “Education”)
    04. Scott Frank – The Queen’s Gambit
    05. Mark Richards and Ethan Hawke – The Good Lord Bird (“Last Words”)
    06. Shonda Rhimes – Inventing Anna

07. Steve McQueen and Courttia Newland – Small Axe (“Lovers Rock” or “Red, White and Blue”)
    08. Jac Shaeffer – WandaVision
    09. Sam Levinson – Euphoria (“Trouble Don’t Always Last”)
    10. Suzan-Lori Parks – Genius: Aretha
    11. Sam Levinson and Hunter Schafer – Euphoria (“**** Anyone Who Isn’t a Sea Blob”)

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Two virals tweets for the same pictures and some of you think she is easily losing her twitter favorite status for Olsen… https://twitter.com/Iebsianss/status/1365516801782779907 https://twitter.com/anyafiles/status/1365497877787783170

I don’t really have knowledge about stan twitter. Can I ask why these tweets are relevant to her Emmys race?

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I don’t really have knowledge about stan twitter. Can I ask why these tweets are relevant to her Emmys race?

Stan account tweets typically get 10k-15k average likes at a max. Both of those are at 100k+, which could indicate that her overall popularity as an actress/celebrity/brand is crossing over to a large general audience.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

08. Death to 2020 (Netflix)

Ineligible.

04. Sam Miller – I May Destroy You (“Eyes Eyes Eyes”)

03. Steve McQueen and Alastair Siddons – Small Axe (“Mangrove”, “Alex Wheattle” or “Education”)

07. Steve McQueen and Courttia Newland – Small Axe (“Lovers Rock” or “Red, White and Blue”)

If I May Destroy You and Small Axe‘s submissions at the Spirits are anything to go by it looks like the former will only submit “Ego Death” for Directing and that the latter will only submit “Mangrove” for Writing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder if Amazon will decide to run Aaron Pierre in lead. That would make the Actor race interesting.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

The initially press release from 2018 to with the announcement of the project, Pierre’s character (Cesar) was the only other non-Mbedu character mentioned, assuming he’ll play a large part.

(per Deadline)

In an alternate timeline, the Underground Railroad, in reality a network of abolitionists, hidden routes, and safe houses that helped enslaved African-Americans escape to freedom in the early to mid-1800s, is an actual railroad complete with engineers, conductors, tracks, and tunnels. Cora, an enslaved Black person in Georgia, joins newcomer Caesar in an effort to ride the subterranean train to freedom.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

According to FlixPatrol’s metrics, It’s a Sin has surged on HBO Max’s viewership rankings in the US going from being outside the top 10 in its first few days to now having stayed at number one since Tuesday.

It looks like it might be a hit.

https://flixpatrol.com/title/its-a-sin

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Now that he’s a Golden Globe winner, I wonder if Amazon will keep Boyega in supporting or bump him up to lead (where he could win as well).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

John Boyega is winning an Emmy. Lead or supporting he’s winning. Both those categories are wide open, he’s in a show that is either getting nominated for series or is in the conversation for it and unless someone comes marching in later on I don’t see him losing. He feels like the Ben Whishaw of this year. He is a British film star whoo wins at the Globes and sweeps his way to the Emmys for an Amazon/BBC co-production.

Nicole Kidman is finished and The Undoing feels like it’s in danger to me. It feels like <i>Big Little Lies </i>s2 and I think Grant and Sutherland are this year’s Dern and Streep (although they obviously were nowhere near as good as either of them were in BLL s2). Ethan Hawke feels like he’s in danger too.

There was no surprise in <i>The Queen’s Gambit</i>’s haul tonight. Anya Taylor-Joy was double nominated and this show was the biggest television event of 2020. The question will be if she can win CC and SAG. If she wins both or either (especially the former) then there’s no stopping her at the Emmys although I am very confident Coel will win the former or that they’ll both tie.

What is probably the most interesting take for me is how much recency bias can help you in this Covid year (hopefully soon to end Covid year). All the winners apart from Ruffalo, O’Hara and Schitt’s were from shows that are eligible for this upcoming Emmy cycle. Whilst I don’t think this means they’re winning anything I think it’s very good for the nomination chances of Wandavision and It’s a Sin.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Now that he’s a Golden Globe winner, I wonder if Amazon will keep Boyega in supporting or bump him up to lead (where he could win as well).

I really dk how to place him, he is the lead on his episode, but there are other 4, and the show is competing as a whole and not as stand alone movies.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.