Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The Queen’s Gambit has to be like the biggest lock of the year alongside Gillian in supporting actress.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

From what I observed, Netflix doesn’t submit every show to Emmys. They are probably guessing it won’t be nominated for anything. Last year Criminal UK was nominated at International Emmys even though it has no difference from The Crown in terms of eligibility.

But then why are they submitting The Liberator, 13 Reasons Why and Jupiter’s Legacy?

The Serpent is a big hit, has great production and two brilliant central performances eligible for open categories. I guess they finally have a series winner after so many years of failing, and they want to concentrate on getting that over the line (not that it needs any additional push). Still, it’s a missed opportunity if that’s the actual reason for not submitting it.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Those acquired, but not co produced, shows seem to be rejected.

Luther was an acquisition by BBC America in its first season (although it later became a BBC America co-production like Doctor Who). Bodyguard and Peaky Blinders were both Netflix too. The Secret Diary of a Call Girl as well.

I do agree that it shouldn’t technically be eligible (although it probably will be for its second season with HBO Max apparently jumping on board) but it appears studios seem to have found a loophole with some of these shows recently. So it could very well be the case with this (although the fact it isn’t on HBO Max’s FYC page is concerning so I do admit I could very well be wrong on this!)

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Got a strange nagging feeling that

Genius: Aretha
    I May Destroy You
    Mare of Easttown
    The Queen’s Gambit
    The Underground Railroad

could be a very plausible lineup…

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Queen’s Gambit has to be like the biggest lock of the year alongside Gillian in supporting actress.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Forgot about that.. I still need to watch it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Got a strange nagging feeling that Genius: Aretha I May Destroy You Mare of Easttown The Queen’s Gambit The Underground Railroad could be a very plausible lineup…

I cannot see Genius getting into series. It came and went without any fanfare or acclaim, had controversy and the main reason it seems to have done well in the past was due to strong in person campaigning. I mean Fargo has been a top Emmy player for its previous three seasons yet we all agree its chances at getting nominated for anything above the line is next to zero.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Got a strange nagging feeling that Genius: Aretha I May Destroy You Mare of Easttown The Queen’s Gambit The Underground Railroad could be a very plausible lineup…

I think Halston is in the mix too. We saw how many nominations Hollywood ended up getting despite it being panned. If Halston is better received it’s a real possibility, imo.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Halston is in the mix too. We saw how many nominations Hollywood ended up getting despite it being panned. If Halston is better received it’s a real possibility, imo.

What helps Halston imo is the fact its a biopic (a bit like Feud). If it’s acclaimed and watch I can totally see it happening.

Although Hollywood had a big Netflix campaign (even then it probably was around 7th in series after missing casting for <i>Normal People</i>), much bigger names in its ensemble, was a semi comedy and was quite accessible towards audiences. <i>Halston </i>looks like it might be great a serious drama and the only recognisable names are Ewan McGregor and Bill Pullman (can Pullman be added to the predictions centre please?)

I think Halston can happen but I don’t think it’s comparable to Hollywood at all.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I have hope for Halston not turning out to be a flop since it is biographical. Narrative choices in Hollywood and Ratched were something…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hollywood was trash. The performances in Ratched are at least deserving and I liked Nixon and Paulson’s chemistry a lot.

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

They did not give a reason but just said it will not be submitted for anything.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Lol
    Rahim out of my predictions
    I’m just gonna put one of the Hamilton dudes and get over it

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At this point both Manuel-Miranda and Odom-Jr. are in lol.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

But then why are they submitting The Liberator, 13 Reasons Why and Jupiter’s Legacy? The Serpent is a big hit, has great production and two brilliant central performances eligible for open categories. I guess they finally have a series winner after so many years of failing, and they want to concentrate on getting that over the line (not that it needs any additional push). Still, it’s a missed opportunity if that’s the actual reason for not submitting it.

I think Tahar Rahim was a bit more popular this Oscar Season than Lindo.

And for Netflix viewers, The Serpent is not just The Queen’s Gambit of the spring

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.