Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

I didn’t watch Them, so I can’t say anything about its quality. But judging by this review and other comments I read, the series will not to be nominated at anything: https://www.vulture.com/amp/article/review-them-amazon-series.html

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My main issue with Letitia Wright is rather do even the people who have seen “Mangrove” find her nomination worthy. I do think it’s a phenomenal performance and one of the best in this category but her nominations haul so far would suggest otherwise.

Small Axe faces the issue where the instalments are being treated as “films”. If you look at the IMDB votes for “Mangrove”, “Lovers Rock” and “Red, White and Blue” they easily outrank “Alex Wheatle” and “Education” and also Small Axe as a general show on IMDB. “Mangrove” is by far the most widely seen instalment yet Wright hasn’t always been along for the ride. The London Film Critics Circle certainly watched and loved Small Axe enough to award Shaun Parkes their supporting actor award, Steve McQueen their director award (even though they gave Nomadland a clear sweep and Frances McDormand a win over Carey Mulligan and Vanessa Kirby) and nominated John Boyega in British Actor over Gary Oldman. They could make room for Essie Davis in Supporting Actress and Bukky Bakray (a newcomer) in British/Irish Actress of the year but not for Letitia Wright. Similarly Small Axe arguably placed as the runner up at the Royal Television Society Awards and Shaun Parkes won over Paul Mescal yet Letitia Wright was nowhere to be seen. The HFPA and Critics Choice cared enough about Small Axe to nominate John Boyega but not her.

Now she did make it in at the Broadcasting Press Guild and they have foreshadowed some surprises at BAFTA before such as Keeley Hawes being nominated and Richard Madden being snubbed. So with that I’m not ready to rule her out completely. However what is also worth baring in mind about the Broadcasting Press Guild is how much name recognition can help a performer there. Matt Smith (who was a household name due to quite literally being an era of “Doctor Who”) made it in twice for The Crown whilst a BAFTA jury snubbed him twice after watching both of the first seasons of the show. Andrea Riseborough made it in for National Treasure and The Witness for the Prosecution but missed at the BAFTAs (in spite of having showy performances in both and in particular the latter). Hayley Atwell made it in over the eventual BAFTA winner!

Small Axe is not strong enough in series for performers who may already be lacking in passion to coattail at the Emmys but it will likely be a strong force at the BAFTAs due to its industry popularity, cultural importance and pedigree (like A Very English Scandal). So if a BAFTA jury upon viewing “Mangrove” decides to leave out Wright (and Malachi Kirby as well) in slots of 6 then I feel quite comfortable in ruling them out from happening at the Emmys. If either make it in at the TV BAFTAs in two weeks then I might slot them into my Emmy predictions.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I didn’t watch Them, so I can’t say anything about its quality. But judging by this review and other comments I read, the series will not to be nominated at anything: https://www.vulture.com/amp/article/review-them-amazon-series.html

Thembeing the absolute disaster that it is, is the best thing to happen for Lovecraft. The amount of criticism I’ve seen that the former is pale imitation the latter without good writing or any Black people being involved is unreal.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

The Underground Railroad trailer.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Ted Lasso

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Barry freakin’ Jenkins. TQG’s main competitor is right here!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

OMG finally something to shake up the competition!

I’ve had Thuso Mbedu and William Jackson Harper in from the start. Unsure what to do with the supporting women.

Could we add Aaron Pierre to the prediction centre?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Seeing great reviews for Romeo & Juliet (Jessie Buckley and Josh O’Connor). Is it eligible anywhere?

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The response on social media is mostly about being tired of another show on slavery/black suffering…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Seeing great reviews for Romeo & Juliet (Jessie Buckley and Josh O’Connor). Is it eligible anywhere?

It’s a PBS-Sky co-production so yes it should be eligible.

My guess is it’s eligible in either TV movie or Variety Special and both Buckley and O’Connor are eligible in the lead acting categories.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

It’s a PBS-Sky co-production so yes it should be eligible. My guess is it’s eligible in either TV movie or Variety Special and both Buckley and O’Connor are eligible in the lead acting categories.

I could definitely see O’Connor get in.

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

The response on social media is mostly about being tired of another show on slavery/black suffering…

Is this for Them or The Underground Railroad?

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

both

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I was talking about TUR. But both yes.

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

both

That quick for The Underground Railroad? I mean if its existing material was bad or contributing to “black suffering” how come it garnered such acclaim and won Pulitzer?

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I must say I agree.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.