Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 6 is now open.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Dear lurking Emmy voters,

FYC: Keeley Hawes

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Just award Ethan Hawke you fools

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Yeah, I think we’re underestimating Cynthia Erivo and Genius. The Academy loves the show.

I hope Coel doesn’t get snubbed. I’d love to see Clayton’s reasoning for not predicting her. He also has I May Destroy You at the bottom.

I’m feeling confident in Olsen, even if the WandaVision doesn’t break in Series, Actor and Supporting Actress. It looks like a Normal People situation and the report that a lot of producers are looking for her because of the show.

I do think we’re getting a lot of weird snubs and shocking nominations like last season because of the field of five.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Yeah, I think we’re underestimating Cynthia Erivo and Genius. The Academy loves the show. 

Do they? I haven’t seen anyone talk about the show since the first season and I think the second one benefited from a weak field.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Michaela won’t get snubbed.

In fact I think she’s top 2 (unless Winslet somehow ends up being undeniably buzzy in the finale of Mare of Easttown) and that the show is 3rd at worst in series. This woman’s name has been dropped by almost everyone in the industry at this point on both sides of the Atlantic. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Bill Hader, Natasha Lyonne, Jane Fonda, Sarah Paulson, Charlize Theron, Daveed Diggs… I mean the list of names who have praised and supported this woman is endless. She’s been on tonnes of magazine covers and she also has a strong narrative. One that will be strengthened further if she ends up winning the Actress BAFTA or I May Destroy You wins the series BAFTA (neither of which are sure things as Billie Piper and Small Axe both do look strong enough to win both awards). If I’m not mistaken wouldn’t she be the first black woman to be nominated for acting, writing and directing in the same year at the Emmys?

The Globes shut out actually did wonders for Coel and the show as it really showed how much passion going for them within the industry before the show managed to buck recent trends and get nominated at SAG (over bigger names with showier performances), PGA and even break through with some of the craftspeople (Costume Designers, Sound Editors) and at the expense of flashier and more expensive productions. The industry WILL make sure Coel gets nominated and HBO knows this (they have been campaigning for the show non stop since the Globes and more than they have for The Undoing, It’s a Sin and Mare of Easttown). Not only because of the passion for the show and Coel’s work but with how the Emmys have been more accepting of auteur shows than other groups, can you imagine the backlash if an auteur driven show (that happens to be one of the most acclaimed and buzzed about this season) about a black woman’s trauma after being raped is snubbed?

I May Destroy You reminds me of The Night Of and Unorthodox in the sense that it’s underestimated due to it lacking an A list quality to it but it’s a show that has a strong rooting factor due to its subject matter and is met with a lot of passion from the industry as a whole. Just last year the actors branch proved how much passion trumps name recognition with the likes of Merritt Wever, Reese Witherspoon, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman and Chris Evans missing out in favour of acclaimed performances from rising stars such as Shira Haas, Paul Mescal and Zendaya.

Coel won’t win over Taylor-Joy but she feels very much in the Haas position.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Do they? I haven’t seen anyone talk about the show since the first season and I think the second one benefited from a weak field.

Absolutely.

Cable/broadcasts were either ratings/commercials flops that no knew existed (Patrick Melrose, Little Women, The Terror, Mosaic, Howard’s End, The Terror, Genius, Alienist) the streamers were forgotten after a week (Looming Tower, Collateral, National Treasure, Alias Grace), the critically darlings were more respected than liked (Twin Peaks, Top of the Lake, Girlfriend Experience) and populist hits were things the Academy had either gotten bored (AHS Cult) or didn’t care for (The Sinner, American Vandel, Waco).

And none of the wasn’t even a preceded for anything from the Winter Awards to come in since Big Littles Lies took up all of the oxygen. (with the exception of Godless which barely scrapped in against the 2017 shows)

In retrospect, it’s really no wonder that Versace, Godless & Black Mirror just managed to run the board that year, purely on the account of being both seen and liked.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Amazon’s Instagram page for The Underground Railroad is up! The feed is very focused around the characters played by Jackson Harper, Mbedu and Pierre.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

IndieWire Actor predictions

Predicted Nominees:

1. Ethan Hawke, “The Good Lord Bird”
    2. Ewan McGregor, “Halston”
    3. Hugh Grant, “The Undoing”
    4. Bryan Cranston, “Your Honor”
    5. Jeff Daniels, “The Comey Rule”

Contenders:

Joel Edgerton, “The Underground Railroad”
    Paul Bettany, “WandaVision”
    Andrew Scott, “Oslo”
    Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Hamilton”
    Leslie Odom Jr., “Hamilton”
    Chris Rock, “Fargo,”
    Nnamdi Asomugha, “Sylvie’s Love”
    Paul Bettany, “Uncle Frank”

In a Perfect World:
    Jude Law, “The Third Day”
    Nick Robinson, “A Teacher”

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

Dear lurking Emmy voters, FYC: Keeley Hawes

I loved Keeley’s performance in It’s a Sin, but my only quibble with her getting a nomination is if she got one and nobody else did. Given the subject matter, it would be a real shame to see the male cast miss out, and potentially the sole nomination go to the character who wasn’t accepting of her son’s sexuality.

FYC:
    Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose"), Kate Winslet, Julianne Nicholson ("Mare of Easttown"), Punam Patel ("Special")

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I have now watched the first 3 ‘episodes’ of Small Axe. If I was just taking Mangrove into consideration, I would be 100% supporting a series and acting nominations. However, I was not a fan of the other 2. Parkes, Kirby and Wright all deserve nominations for Mangrove, I’d be fine with a nomination for Boyega as well, but he doesn’t deserve to win over Parkes

EMMY FYC

The Crown in all categories (inc. Olivia Colman & Gillian Anderson)

I May Destroy You, It’s a Sin, Stateless & The Queens Gambit

Kate Winslet, Keeley Hawes, Shaun Parkes, Marielle Heller, Michaela Coel

Ted Lasso & The Flight Attendant in all categories.

Girls5Eva

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

IndieWire Actor predictions

Predicted Nominees:

Really? People are still predicting this?

FYC Emmys: Ted Lasso (all categories), Wandavision (all categories), The Mandalorian (Best Drama Series), Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest), Maya Erksine (Pen15), Michaela Coel (I May Destroy You), Alan Tudyk (Resident Alien), Antony Starr (The Boys), Daniel Brühl (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), Ethan Hawke (The Good Lord Bird), Invincible (Animated Program)

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Is Glenda Jackson not eligible for her superb performance in Elizabeth is Missing??? She was nominated for a BAFTA award for her performance; it aired on PBS in January 2021 – I noticed she was not on the predictions list for Best Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.