Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s more telling that Halston reviews are still embargo and show premieres Friday.

Netflix seems to be having late embargoes more and more often it appears. Shadow and Bone and The Queen’s Gambit also had late embargoes if I’m not mistaken.

That being said I’m not very confident about Halston receiving critical buzz.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can Rebecca Dayan be added to the predictions centre please (and can Lydia West be moved to supporting)?

https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/rebecca-dayan-halston-elsa-peretti-interview

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/hbo-max-emmy-fyc-events-rose-bowl-drive-in-1234964329/

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Elton John and Olly Alexander / Years & Years just released at cover of Pet Shop Boys “It’s a Sin” for his AIDS Foundation and performed it at the BRIT Awards tonight in London.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just realised considering how Small Axe is a collection of films rather than one with a continuous plot, is it possible that Boyega actually misses the nomination due to voters not getting to see the third instalment (his “film”) on time? Or do his campaigning and Globe/CC wins lock him in?

Profile picture
    tsc
    Topics:

Ava Duvernay talking about The Queen’s Gambit:

A good friend of mine said, “You’ve got to watch this show [The Queen’s Gambit].” I was like, “Girl, I am not watching this white woman play chess. I’m not doing it.” (Laughter.) Like, “God bless you, I’m sure it’s good.” I said, “Is there a romance in it?” She was like, “A little, not really.” I was like, “Is there a mystery?” She’s like, “Not really.” I said, “What is it about?” She’s like, “She’s playing chess.” I’m like, “I’m not doing this with you!” Literally three months later, I watch this thing like [glued to the TV]. I’m emailing [showrunner] Scott Frank, because we had a mutual editor, and [Netflix’s] Peter Friedlander, like, “How did you do it? Can I talk to you? Why am I addicted to this?” Because for so long, we’ve been told this is what you want and nobody wants this and, surely, we’re not even going to give this a try, and now everyone wants to know what they don’t know — they want the familiar and they want the foreign. And I don’t have to make calculations because there’s really no way to do the math. You’ve just got to tell the story and finally, blessedly, we’re in a place where we’re the lucky ones because there’s going to be a place out there that’ll try it with you. It’s a seller’s market.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I just realised considering how Small Axe is a collection of films rather than one with a continuous plot, is it possible that Boyega actually misses the nomination due to voters not getting to see the third instalment (his “film”) on time? Or do his campaigning and Globe/CC wins lock him in?

This is why I’m not predicting it for any other performances, but I think Boyega will still be okay. I’m not convinced he’s totally ironclad for the win for those reasons you detailed, but I think his personal hype augmented by those wins will still get him a spot on the list. He feels like the type of performer with the kind of hype that people will vote for even if they aren’t voting for Small Axe anywhere else (or even if they hadn’t seen it at all).

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is why I’m not predicting it for any other performances, but I think Boyega will still be okay. I’m not convinced he’s totally ironclad for the win for those reasons you detailed, but I think his personal hype augmented by those wins will still get him a spot on the list. He feels like the type of performer with the kind of hype that people will vote for even if they aren’t voting for Small Axe anywhere else (or even if they hadn’t seen it at all).

My argument for Shaun Parkes is that his performance is (a lead one) in the first and most widely seen film and that there is enough passion to be mobilised for him to get nominated (i.e. he’s won almost everything he’s been nominated for, McQueen is actively name-dropping him in interviews and his performance is baity enough under the BAFTA tape system for him to win and end up getting a boost in buzz from it ten days before voting).

I don’t see the actors from Lovers Rock getting in and I’m sceptical about Letitia Wright (for multiple reasons) even though she has a good alphabetical ballot placement.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Ava Duvernay talking about The Queen’s Gambit:

I wonder if this is a white person talking. I bet he/she will be cancelled right away.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Ava DuVernay actually loved the show. She didn’t want to watch but when she did she loved it.

That’s literally what she’s saying

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I wonder if this is a white person talking. I bet he/she will be cancelled right away.

Ohhhh you’re one of those people. Explains a lot of your previous comments.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m so conflicted about Jean Smart’s chances here. I do think she can happen (and I would say she deserves to but I stan this woman too much so I might not be the right person to judge) and she seems to have more passion than say Donald Sutherland has for The Undoing. That and she’s arguably peaking in buzz at the right time. But then again she’s also essentially playing the mum role.

Thoughts?

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’d be predicting her if she wasn’t already so big for Hacks. Double/triple acting nominations seem to be pretty tough at the Emmys, and she’s got an obvious better contender on the comedy side. (Not to say Hacks is better than Mare, but that series is better for her.)

I have a hunch Evan Peters will use his WandaVision hype to push him to be the supporting nominee from Mare.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Has Joyce seen Halston? She’s moved Ewan McGregor down…

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Ohhhh you’re one of those people. Explains a lot of your previous comments.

Come on. There was already race on her head by emphasizing the WHITE girl playing chess. If a white person is saying it, do you think it will not be controversial? Let’s see for example “I don’t want to watch the show because it’s a black girl playing chess.” I’m sure Hollywood will find a way to cancel that person.

The hypocrisy really.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Has Joyce seen Halston? She’s moved Ewan McGregor down…

I don’t know whether she’s seen it, but there was a rumour about some critics discussing how Netflix is lifting the embargo on an upcoming release hours before it drops and that it’s completely understandable (implying that the show is bad). Halston fits the description.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.