Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

And how is ATJ is overrated? Lol. The Queen’s Gambit was her first mainstream hit. ALL her movies are low-key. Lol.

This. Even her Marvel film was a flop.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

I think if Anya Taylor Joy wins over Thuso Mbedu, Kate Winslet or Michaela Coel it’ll be one of those wins that ages really badly. I’m hoping for a Jodie Foster Golden Globe moment where all these other contenders with passion take the lead away from ATJ and someone really random wins lol.

Absolutely not lol

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I get what you’re trying to say but the gap between Watchmen’s 85 (formulated without the acclaimed final few episodes which weren’t sent to critics) and Mrs. America’s 87 can’t really be compared to the disparity between The Queen’s Gambit’s 79 and the 90+ scores of The Underground Railroad/Mangrove/Lovers Rock, or the huge points difference I May Destroy You held over it on the 2020 year-end aggregate list.

Big Little Lies only had a 75 metascore and won over Feud (81), The night Of (90), Fargo (89) and I don’t think anyone complained about its “gap” back then or that its win against those would age badly. In fact it’s one of the most remembered win of the category which TQG will also be if it wins.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Anya was outstanding way before in The VVitch, Emma and Thoroughbreds. She’s not overrated for The Queen’s Gambit and her win will clearly not ages badly. Beth is an incredible character.

Not saying the opposite.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Big Little Lies only had a 75 metascore and won over Feud (81), The night Of (90), Fargo (89) and I don’t think anyone complained about its “gap” back then or that its win against those would age badly. In fact it’s one of the most remembered win of the category which TQG will also be if it wins.

The way you completely ignored or didn’t understand the political angle of the debate. The discussion wasn’t just focused on metascores. It’s the fact that several pieces of black art released in a seminal year are so much more acclaimed than The Queen’s Gambit. Fargo season 3, Feud and even The Night Of simply don’t have a comparable cultural relevance.

Also, Big Little Lies was important to the cultural conversation that year (MeToo), and most people agreed that this gave the show momentum. The Queen’s Gambit simply isn’t important – yes it provided escapism in a bleak year, but that argument doesn’t stack up to awarding it over better shows just because more people watched it.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

It’s only been a day but Halstons release seems to be so completely overshadowed this weekend between the lackluster reviews and a ton of bigger things releasing now too (outside of better shows like TUR and Hacks even on Netflix there’s The Woman in the Window which is the hate watch of the week). I see no reason to think Mcgregor would be that far ahead of Hawke.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

In fact it’s one of the most remembered win of the category which TQG will also be if it wins.

The same would apply to The Underground Railroad — perhaps even more so. I think a lot of people agree that it’s an absolute masterpiece.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The way you completely ignored or didn’t understand the political angle of the debate. The discussion wasn’t just focused on metascores. It’s the fact that several pieces of black art released in a seminal year are so much more acclaimed than The Queen’s Gambit. Fargo season 3, Feud and even The Night Of simply don’t have a comparable cultural relevance. Also, Big Little Lies was important to the cultural conversation that year (MeToo), and most people agreed that this gave the show momentum. The Queen’s Gambit simply isn’t important – yes it provided escapism in a bleak year, but that argument doesn’t stack up to awarding it over better shows just because more people watched it.

You argument was purely about how it was less acclaimed when it’s completely irrelevant in the end. The post you quoted was “Mrs. America was more acclaimed than Watchmen last year “. There was no political angle in this specific debate you are just bringing it in right when it’s another discussion.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

You argument was purely about how it was less acclaimed when it’s completely irrelevant in the end. The post you quoted was “Mrs. America was more acclaimed than Watchmen last year “. There was no political angle in this specific debate you are just bringing it in right when it’s another discussion.

The conversation began with this post by Puck:

“Can we talk about how it’s so disappointing and problematic that The Queen’s Gambit is going to win over I May Destroy You, Small Axe and The Underground Railroad.”

And yes, it is disappointing and problematic.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The same would apply to The Underground Railroad — perhaps even more so. I think a lot of people agree that it’s an absolute masterpiece.

The Underground Railroad more remembered than worldwide phenomenon? Some of you are truly biased.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The Underground Railroad more remembered than worldwide phenomenon? Some of you are truly biased.

I think some of the TUR detractors are biased too. The Queen’s Gambit is not unbeatable! Sure, it’s a worldwide phenomenon. It’s escapist and has little to say, which anyone can digest. I agree that getting people to watch TUR will be much more difficult, especially beyond that first episode. However, I don’t think it’s a done deal for TQG either as some have suggested.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

If The Queen’s Gambit got a 93 on metacritic and The Underground Railroad got a 79 but then started sweeping over TQG, this whole site would say the sweep was purely for cultural or political reasons 💀 it’s the bias for me. People won’t argue against this because it’s indisputable.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I think some of the TUR detractors are biased too. The Queen’s Gambit is not unbeatable! Sure, it’s a worldwide phenomenon. It’s escapist and has little to say, which anyone can digest. I agree that getting people to watch TUR will be much more difficult, especially beyond that first episode. However, I don’t think it’s a done deal for TQG either as some have suggested.

This wasn’t about the quality of each shows or which one would win the Emmy tho. I said that if TQG wins it probably would be one of the most remembered win of the category (at least of the past 10 years), to which you replied that TUR could be even more remembered, which is more than likely not going to be case regardless of if it’s better quality wise.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s only been a day but Halstons release seems to be so completely overshadowed this weekend between the lackluster reviews and a ton of bigger things releasing now too (outside of better shows like TUR and Hacks even on Netflix there’s The Woman in the Window which is the hate watch of the week).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Lol, if we’re going by yesterday’s initial interest / GP buzz, we should all be predicting sweeps for Love, Death + Robots and High School Musical then.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.