Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Some people here know how obsessed I am about The Underground Railroad, but I gotta agree with ReginaIsKing and Wolfali, the buzz is just not there like late breakers such as Chernobyl and When They See Us had. The show is a hard watch and I can easily see a good amount of people/voters dropping it. I actually can see it getting snubbed for Series. Unlikely? Yeah. Impossible? Nah.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

How early along is Lily Rabe’s episode? Want to be predicting Sheila Atim, but the fact that her big episode seems to be later on makes me think she’ll miss out for the reasons gabspss said.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

How early along is Lily Rabe’s episode?

Episode 3

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Halston is fun as hell. Krysta Rodriguez is great and I’d also highlight Kelly Bishop, Rebecca Dayan and Gian Franco Rodriguez.

I know I’m minority but I had with Ewan’s acting the same problem I had with Gary Oldman in Mank. The character is a jerk and is already really hard to connect with him and it doesn’t help that both of them looked like actors playing a character (duh) and I’d say it lacks subtlety. I know it can be a ridiculous argument, but Krysta Rodriguez was able to act very well without imitating the real person.

Besides that, Ewan was great, but in the end I liked Krysta and the supporting cast more.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have a very weird feeling we might be getting a surprise nominee in series.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Queens gambit is great but the lead actress anya is wooden as hell and doesnt deserve to win lead actress

Huh? Isn’t Beth Harmon supposed to be that character until the end when she won and interacted with the old people in Russia.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Watched the first Underground Railroad instalment and my god, this show is beautiful, Thuso Mbedu better get that nod.

One thing i have against is the freaking length, why 1 hour and 10 minutes? There were some parts that could easily been cut, or as JV said earlier, released per week. I’m planning to watch 3 today so better keep it going.

About the buzz thing, i agree with both sides, it’s just no there at the moment but it can be in near future, let’s give it time. I doubt When They See Us peaked the very next day and i know Chernobyl grew over time (again, weekly release is the best thing to a series).

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I have a very weird feeling we might be getting a surprise nominee in series.

I think Halston could happen. Actors love Ryan Murphy and the show will certainly do really well at creative categories. It could take the place from Mare of Easttown .

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think Halston could happen. Actors love Ryan Murphy and the show will certainly do really well at creative categories. It could take the place from Mare of Easttown .

If Hollywood didn’t happen i doubt Halston is going to.
    If anyone could surprise is It’s a Sin, the cast and Russel are campaigning very hard.

And i know no one wants to hear it, but if on the afternoon day of the announcement someone says Genius:Aretha, i won’t be shock

Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

WandaVision missing for Genius (in both Series and Actress) unfortunately feels very realistic.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

If Hollywood didn’t happen i doubt Halston is going to. If anyone could surprise is It’s a Sin, the cast and Russel are campaigning very hard. And i know no one wants to hear it, but if on the afternoon day of the announcement someone says Genius:Aretha, i won’t be shock

If McGregor is really that big of a frontrunner, I think the show could easily coattail from his buzz. Ruffalo and Benedict (Sherlock) were the only ones to win in this category without the show being nominated in Series.

I Know This Much is True was really depressing and I doubt most of the people finished the show, but there was respect for Ruffalo’s performance because he is not just a Marvel star or a two time Oscar nominee but also a guy respected for his political views AND he had the unbeatable card of playing two characters. Halston is really fun and entertaining and speaks with the voters with all the “I’m an artist” stuff.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

If McGregor is really that big of a frontrunner, I think the show could easily coattail from his buzz. Ruffalo and Benedict (Sherlock) were the only ones to win in this category without the show being nominated in Series.

I Know This Much is True was really depressing and I doubt most of the people finished the show, but there was respect for Ruffalo’s performance because he is not just a Marvel star or a two time Oscar nominee but also a guy respected for his political views AND he had the unbeatable card of playing two characters. Halston is really fun and entertaining and speaks with the voters with all the “I’m an artist” stuff.

It can happen i guess, I didn’t seen it yet (right now I’m prioritizing TUR) but it feels like a joy of a show.

If it gets in it will definitely be a surprise tho, because right now i probably have it at 10th or something.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Unlike Ruffalo, McGregor actually lost for his acclaimed ‘dual role’ despite wins at the Globes and Critics Choice with a much bigger show than Ruffalo’s was (Fargo season 3). McGregor doesn’t have an opponent as strong as Ahmed was this time, but it arguably speaks to a lack of urgency to award him in the industry.

I’ve seen the argument that voters will want to award him because he hasn’t received enough awards recognition by the industry over the course of his career so far. That could actually be framed as a negative. While the show surprisingly languishes in the 40s on Metacritic, I’d be hesitant to call him a “big frontrunner”.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It’s a 1:10 watch per episode (apart from episode 7 which for some weird reason has only 19 minutes)

what

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I didn’t really plan to but I ended up watching the whole Halston today.

It’s a fine show with entertaining moments. McGregor was good and so was Rodriguez. As said above, on top of actors usually liking Murphy’s shows, this could really resonate with them thanks to topics like addiction, not controlling your brand/name, the fear of critics etc. It’s definitely MUCH better than Hollywood that they appreciated. The format of 5 episodes that average around 45 minutes was an excellent call as it’s really a quick binge. Most voters who start it will probably end up finishing it instead of dropping it mid way like they do with some other limited series (hello Mrs America). It’s also deserving of production design and costume nominations.

As for Series, I don’t really see it considering the reception from critics (which is really exaggerated as it’s a 65-70is show not 40) and I think something would need to really underperform and be rejected (which is still a possibility for Wandavision) for it to happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.