Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 517 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Margaret Qualley had her big breakthrough year, appeared in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood… and was playing the baity role of Ann Reinking. She also had developed some buzz following the finale (this being a rarity for performers at the Emmys as of late shows you how strong Fosse/Verdon was lol!)

Anyway if there’s a Margret Qualley of this year it will be Krysta Rodriguez (who is playing Liza Minelli in Halston) not Moses Ingram. That being said I really do think Ingram has a strong shot at getting nominated. As hopelesstar mentioned she’s got The Tragedy of Macbeth and the Obi-Wan show coming up. She’s a rising star! She also is inadvertently helped by being in both the premiere and finale of the show playing the same character along with both the Anya Taylor-Joy iteration of Beth and the Isla Johnston one. I can definitely see her making it in with or even over Heller (Heller does remind me a bit of Tim Blake Nelson last year, I do think she can get in but I don’t think she’s second).

I honestly am starting to see no path for Thomas Brodie-Sangster. That category is starting to get very competitive and it doesn’t help that his character isn’t particularly likable. I guess he could still theoretically happen although I’m not confident in him being anything other than a long shot. All I feel safe in saying is he’s ahead of Neil Patrick Harris, Evan Peters, Joshua Caleb Johnson, Glynn Turman, Courtney B. Vance and even possibly Brendan Gleeson.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Just putting it out there, if TQG does overperform acting wise, Isla Johnson will probably reap the benefits. Younger version of a character who has an entire episode to herself (and in this case, the pilot).

It just screams Jovan Adepo.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

If Watchmen and Queen’s Gambit were competing now, who do you think would win?

Should win: Watchmen

Will win: The Queen’s Gambit

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Definitely don’t compare TQG to Chernobyl. They are both going to win 3 other prizes. Both 3…

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

If Watchmen was released for this season i don’t think it would be even top 2.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

if it had gotten a season 2 it would have been in drama right?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I mean… I liked Watchmen more than The Queen’s Gambit. But if it could lose PGA and WGA to Succession then it wouldn’t have beaten TQG.

That loss at ASC…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Hollywood8651
    Topics:

Has it been decided if Bill Camp and Neil Patrick Harris are even eligible? Patrick Harris would still miss out (though his performance was great) but Camp is a different story.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Neil Patrick Harris was great but he isn’t even in the top 15/20 and I say this as someone who thinks It’s a Sin will perform better than people on here anticipate it will. It’s just a one episode guest performance and there isn’t enough passion behind any of the supporting men from that show nor visibility for them to crack through that competitive field.

To answer your question Hollywood8651, Camp is definitely eligible (but only by a hair!) Judging by his participation in HBO Max’s FYC campaign, Harris appears to be too.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Last years limited field was far more competitive than this one so I disagree

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The limited field last year was not more competitive than this year’s…

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I don’t think a Little Fires Everywhere would happen this year so no it’s not less competitive. An acclaimed HBO limited series starring Kate Winslet is not even in the top 5 at the moment in the combined odds.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Which BTW is strange. At this point, I think it’s more likely than both Small Axe and WandaVision, no?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

An acclaimed HBO limited series starring Kate Winslet is not even in the top 5 at the moment in the combined odds.

And that’s on top of it being an audience hit as well.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At this point, I think it’s more likely than both Small Axe and WandaVision, no?

I mean I do have it in my series predictions (over Small Axe and ahead of WandaVision) but it’s not as if it’s implausible for the show to only get Winslet (who is absolutely locked for a nomination) and maybe Smart in above the line. It’s not a lock in series by any means.

It doesn’t (as of yet) appear to have across the board passion (which both Small Axe and WandaVision arguably have more of) and its finale hasn’t aired yet (and considering its air date is May 31st that will quite literally make or break its chances). Judging by the campaigning HBO have been doing so far it doesn’t seem to be their main push (I May Destroy You appears to be more of one).

Small Axe didn’t do so well at the guilds but it also has strong win buzz for John Boyega, strong critical buzz and the headline of record breaking BAFTA nominations (which is something Killing Eve, another show that under-performed at the guilds for its first season had). It’s a show that seems to have a strong sense of passion and Amazon is campaigning for it hard (even as they juggle The Underground Railroad).

Kate Winslet arguably has more buzz and acclaim for her performance than Elizabeth Olsen but on an ensemble level, all three of Olsen, Bettany and Hahn have more buzz and passion than the likes of Smart and Peters. WandaVision has strong buzz for its writing (especially for its 9th installment) and more novelty which is something Mare seems to lack (I do think it’s a worthy writing contender and does add novelty to the whole murder mystery genre but the buzz for it right now feels like it is more performance based). WandaVision also has buzz for its direction which it feels like Mare seems to be a non-factor in when it comes to passion (I do think it can get the 6th slot though).

I guess what I’m trying to say is that whilst Mare can happen in series (and right now I do think it will happen as I have it in 4th), it’s kind of ridiculous to call it a lock (at least until the finale). In fact no more than 3 shows can really be called in this particular series category at this point in time. Regardless of what year it is. Especially when we have 5 other strong contenders and possibly 6 if Halston ends up being acclaimed because it’s a baity tech heavy Ryan Murphy mini series. Mare is a popular show that actors will eat up but recent years have proven that popularity isn’t the sole factor when it comes to your series chances (i.e. Fosse/Verdon was less popular than Sharp Objects and Escape at Dannemoa and it was ahead of that and maybe even When They See Us in series that year). Passion is key. Sure Little Fires Everywhere made it in over Normal People last year but there was also a sense of passion for it because of its depiction of institutional racism in the show’s format and Normal People hadn’t peaked yet in visibility, premiered late and had two unknowns leading the show.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.