Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 506 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 9.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Luca I was going to respond to you in the other thread about TUR.
    That’s why I will always use this season as an example of why weekly releases are better for a show than all drop out.

Compare TUR with Mare, or even The Boys from the same company. Weekly would have give audience more time to find it and not give it up just by seeing the length of the episodes.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oh yeah, I completely agree. Weekly would have been the best way to go for TUR. :/

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’m predicting Mbedu for a nomination until the end, it’s not like anyone watched Genius.

I mean, did anyone really watch Einstein or Picasso?

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I mean, did anyone really watch Einstein or Picasso?

I actually read somewhere that Aretha is the most watched season of Genius.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

I wouldn’t take TUR out for now. We never know what the industry is watching, sometimes it’s different from what people in general are (as evidenced by Fosse/Verdon doing so well despite being probably the least popular miniseries out of the nominees that year). Plus, it’s Barry Jenkins, if Malcolm & Marie had any use it was to show he and Spike Lee are the only Black filmmakers white people know.

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I actually read somewhere that Aretha is the most watched season of Genius.

I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere as well. Erivo is also playing an American icon and Nat Geo is very good at Emmy campaigns.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Plus, it’s Barry Jenkins, if Malcolm & Marie had any use it was to show he and Spike Lee are the only Black filmmakers white people know.

Dead. 💀💀

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I really doubt a weekly release would have brought more viewership for TUR. It’s a niche topic that people are either tired of, or aren’t interested in watching 10 hours of. Y’all didn’t like it when I made a comment about it, but the vast majority of reactions when the trailer dropped were people not interested in watching another program about slaves or black suffering and asking Hollywood to stop produce them.

I don’t like using IMDb, especially for projects about minorities, so I won’t, but its performance on both Letterboxd (that attracts cinephiles and the audience that should be interested in watching a Jenkins project) and TV Time (used by tv stans who watch things regardless of binge release or not and should be the first ones aware of prestige shows coming out) is extremely mediocre. On lb, only 2.4K users watched the series, while they are only 12k on tv time. Again, the users of those apps should have been the first ones interested in watching a project like this and even them weren’t. If even viewers used to niche and prestige projects weren’t inclined to watch this, how was the general public supposed to?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

about slaves or black suffering

Anyone who reduces the show to this has either not watched it or didn’t get it. Literally everyone involved has talked about how, ultimately, this it not what the show is about. Ugh. And don’t get me wrong: I am not referring to you.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I agree with hopelesstar. In fact, I’ve come to the conclusion that a weekly release would be worse. Imagine people waiting for a week just to watch a Ridgeway focused episode where literally nothing happens ? Or the episode 7 with 19 minutes. Backlash would be huge, like it happened with Lovecraft Country and Raised by Wolves.

The Underground Railroad is not something to do well with the general public. It’s very artsy and contemplative. Think about all the Mallick movies or The Lighthouse. I though it would be something like The Handmaid’s Tale, more accessible, like the trailer made us think, but it’s the opposite. It’s a really good show, though.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Yeah hoplesstar just could not be more wrong. This show is ten incredibly dense, intense, visually stunning, emotionally draining episodes of television. To think that the twitter-verse/blogosphere wouldn’t write about each episode weekly and let the buzz grow is super foolish. Would the show become the Queen’s Gambit commercially? No, but it would definitely have lead to way more succesful release. People love obsessing over one episode at a time, and each episode of this show has enough content to write hundreds of essays about. To think that a weekly release wouldn’t have given the show a buzzier or at least longer-lasting moment in the cultural conversation is honestly obtuse to a fairly mind boggling degree. Or at least two at a time, to account for the shorter episodes.

It’s such a gigantic blunder on Amazon’s part that I almost wonder if it was Jenkins that insisted the show be released all at once. For as much of a fan of the series as I am, it is over long, and I think there is some hubris to the project (and the man who made the best movie of the decade on a $1 million budget is very entitled to hubris).

Also, said it before, but the general public really doesn’t matter for the Emmys anymore. Remember when the Boys was Amazon’s biggest commercial hit yet? and we have that at what, 8th in series? and hoping it’ll maybe get in for writing?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, said it before, but the general public really doesn’t matter for the Emmys anymore.

I’d argue they do to an extent. Would The Queen’s Gambit and Mare of Easttown be doing as well as we think they will without the general public? No. I mean even something like I May Destroy You (a show that isn’t very popular amongst the general public) might not have ended up doing as well in momentum if it didn’t attract so much online word of mouth.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I still think Anya Taylor-Joy is winning, but Winslet is making a strong case for herself.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

Why bother? 

💀

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.