Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 505 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

As good as I May Destroy You. But I May Destroy You did not end Kwame’s story in a satisfying way, while It’s Sin does not have a single flaw.

I won’t debate any of the rest of your post because everyone is entitled to an opinion. I wanted to ask what makes the ending to Kwamé’s story in I May Destroy You unsatisfactory in comparison to characters in It’s a Sin like Roscoe for example?

For Your Consideration:

I May Destroy You in all categories
    (especially Michaela Coel in Lead Actress and Writing)

Profile picture
    Dame Mandy Moore
    Topics:

I have watched the first three episodes and they are exactly about that, nothing else. They are telling in great details how Black people lived in three different States: Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Maybe in the end, there is a different subject that emerges, but in those three episodes there is no such theme. And sorry, but anyone who still argues that this was not meant for weekly viewing is not able to think clearly and just enjoy binging himself. I could not watched those three episodes together, they are dense as hell and incredibly and unnecessarily long. I found the show very self-indulgent, snobbish and even superficial. The three different stories/ scenarios that presents about slaves and black suffering in those three episodes have been done many times already and in a much more compelling way. Acting wise, Aaron Pierre and Lilly Rabe are standouts, although, the role of Rabe have been done in that exact way literally more than a 200 times. Thuso Mbedu is not a very good actress (I know that is unpopular opinion), her telenovela’s background is very obvious, she exaggerates emotions and does not sound natural in dialogues at all (there are many Latin telenovelas that have natural acting, but maybe in South Africa the telenovelas, or at least the ones she acted in, are like the so calles telenovelas rosas in Latin America). The character of Chase Dillon (Homer) is the most annoying and detestable character I have ever seen, I cannot stand him. I hope there is a redemption coming or at least an explanation/confirmation that he lacks emotional intelligence. I know that episode 4 is weird and focused on Ridgeway and I cannot bring myself to watch it for more than 5 days, I even watched The Woman in the Window instead, that is how much I adore Adams, but she needs to change agent immediately. This should have been a weekly release and I will repeat that until the end of times. It’s a Sin is far superior than TUR, Small Axe, WandaVision and The Queen’s Gambit. I found slightly better than Mare of Easttown as well. As good as I May Destroy You. But I May Destroy You did not end Kwame’s story in a satisfying way, while It’s Sin does not have a single flaw. It is a masterpiece and critics agree with me, it has the highest critic’s scores among all those shows. God, is has even the highest IDMB score among all those shows. And it is a show about LGBT and Black characters, so this is very impressive. It deserves Emmy glory and I will very upset if does not get it. Finally: Small Axe >>> TUR

Dear Ivo, you took the words right out of my mouth. Your essay couldn’t have been more objective. Your words spoke to me and I’m perplexed by how much I agree with you. You are one of my favorite users here and time is doing great things with you. Please be more active, your wisdom is necessary and extremely urgent.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

GET REAL! Mare of Easttown is the best limited series of the year huns.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

It’s a Sin does have it’s flaws tho, I May Destroy You wise I did find Kwame’s ending a little weird because he was struggling the whole show and i don’t remember if he got closure of something, but in the end he’s just happy with his bf all of the sudden.
    Also, Terry and the situation with the two guys never had any real talk besides that episode? It’s been a while but i remember being a little left off by that.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Ivostoyanov wrote:
    As good as I May Destroy You. But I May Destroy You did not end Kwame’s story in a satisfying way, while It’s Sin does not have a single flaw.

I won’t debate any of the rest of your post because everyone is entitled to an opinion. I wanted to ask what makes the ending to Kwamé’s story in I May Destroy You unsatisfactory in comparison to characters in It’s a Sin like Roscoe for example?

Roscoe chose himself over his sugar daddy and then dedicated his time to be a really great friend, both if his actions were truly believable and very emotional. Kwame ¨cured¨ his trauma and his lust for sex with a magical boyfriend which is very controversial and debatible on his own, but what made it even worst was his last storyline, his attempt to beg the horrible homophobe for forgiveness, yes, what he did with her was not noble, but they were pretty even at the end. To end his story in such a humiliation without any follow up was very disappointing. His story felt unfinished and this a huge and universal criticism towards the show from the fandom and from critics that even the actors have addressed.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Dear Ivo, you took the words right out of my mouth. Your essay couldn’t have been more objective. Your words spoke to me and I’m perplexed by how much I agree with you. You are one of my favorite users here and time is doing great things with you. Please be more active, your wisdom is necessary and extremely urgent.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your words, I will try to be more active.

It’s a Sin does have it’s flaws tho, I May Destroy You wise I did find Kwame’s ending a little weird because he was struggling the whole show and i don’t remember if he got closure of something, but in the end he’s just happy with his bf all of the sudden.
    Also, Terry and the situation with the two guys never had any real talk besides that episode? It’s been a while but i remember being a little left off by that.

It´s a Sin does not have flaws, everything is perfectly wrap up and all characters have closures.

Kwame does not have any closure, he just gets one scene of 10 second on the couch being happy with his boyfriend. Like I said above, this is even worst because his last storyline is with a homophobe that horribly humiliates him and that does not have closure either.

The threesome is discussed after that, it got its closure, but not in a very big way, Terry just mentions that she realized with time what they did to her, but that it took her while to deal with it internally.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Finally caught up with TGLB and I’m on rooting for Hawke to take Actor.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Finally caught up with TGLB and I’m on rooting for Hawke to take Actor.

As you should

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

According to data from the brand, sales are up 631 percent year-over-year, and traffic to Halston.com is up 3,200 percent, the majority from organic search. The brand declined to reveal actual sales figures.

Tiffany & Co. is also seeing “an explosion in interest” for jewelry designed by Halston muse Elsa Peretti, portrayed by Rebecca Dayan in the series, according to industry sources.

The momentum will continue in stores in August, when Neiman Marcus features the Halston x Netflix capsule collection in its store windows just in time for Emmy awards campaigning season. Saks Fifth Avenue is also rolling out the collection online and to 8 doors.

Looks like people are watching Halston.

https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-features/netflix-halston-series-igniting-sales-halston-brand-1234846972/

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

It´s a Sin does not have flaws, everything is perfectly wrap up and all characters have closures.

Jill has no characterization whatsoever except being a good friend, I don’t see how that’s not a major flaw when your only female series regular has no personality.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Jill has no characterization whatsoever except being a good friend, I don’t see how that’s not a major flaw when your only female series regular has no personality.

I actually thought this initially, stopped, and then actually reflected that I saw myself reflected at a certain point in my life.

Jill’s not just a characterisation of a good friend, she’s also a young carer in her twenties. I was one for a time and knew others who were and I actually think the loss of all interests and hyperfocus – for instance, not being interested in a relationship of her own etc – are pretty typical. You can end up terribly insulated and really out of step with what people think a young woman of her age looks like or does. I thought Lydia was excellent in her portrayal. That said, I would have enjoyed a slightly more explicit exploration in to that, but I also think that might have lost focus in the series as a whole.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

ivostoyanov wrote:

Not true, she has personality, she does not have a love-sexual life, which I said in my original review of It´s a Sin that yes, is a little weird, but is not the same thing. She has a very strong personality and we see her life outside of her being a friend. We see her at her job multiple times, we see that she loves to act and to sing, we see her as student and then as a successful theatre actress, we see her with her family. She is an activist as well. Not having huge love interest is also believable, not having a sexual life was the only real problem (especially in the context of the show), but we can always assume that she had and they never showed it to us.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

not having a sexual life was the only real problem (especially in the context of the show), but we can always assume that she had and they never showed it to us.

But that same logic can also be applied to Kwamé. His relationship with the first man who genuinely connected with him emotionally and saw who he truly was (which is a brilliantly executed scene) developed off-screen.

I May Destroy You is fundamentally Arabella’s story, while It’s A Sin presents itself as more of an ensemble piece (although Olly’s character is a soft lead). The issue with Jill’s story is that most of the male characters are afforded deeper exploration, while many of the scenes about her life are framed in relation to another (male) character – even her big scene with Hawes in the final episode is essentially about Olly’s character.

I also disagree with your assessment on Roscoe. I don’t think that character really went anywhere between the first episode and the finale. You say that he “chose himself over his sugar daddy and then dedicated his time to be a really great friend” – we see him ‘choose himself’ over his own family in the first episode, and remain a good friend to the other housemates throughout the show.

For Your Consideration:

I May Destroy You in all categories
    (especially Michaela Coel in Lead Actress and Writing)

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

not having a sexual life was the only real problem (especially in the context of the show), but we can always assume that she had and they never showed it to us.

She’s characterized as a really loyal person, too, so it’s very easy to imagine she’s more of a monogamous-relationship type and her circumstances don’t really allow that. I don’t know that it’s wildly out of step to suggest her having (perhaps?) unrequited feelings for one of those boys either. It happens.

Profile picture
    alexdrake
    Topics:

Has anyone seen Honour with Keeley Hawes? It’s a very powerful drama. I’d be truly pleased to see some recognition.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.