Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Antony Mathews
    Topics:

I May Destroy You won the Peabody Awards!

Emmy FYC: Basically no one because everyone who was my FYC was snubbed. Anyway, I May Destroy You for victory in each category.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Jill has no characterization whatsoever except being a good friend, I don’t see how that’s not a major flaw when your only female series regular has no personality.

She was a girl who was living her regular life as a wannabe actress, who suddenly saw most of her friends get sick and was trying all the way to be there for them and wasn’t able to sometimes. I don’t know what you mean by having no personality. Did you want her to be extremely over the top? I remember one of the scenes that I liked the most of the show is in episode 2 when she wasn’t able to sleep until she completely destroyed the cup. She wasn’t just this one note good friend that you’re portraying her.

Her character and what she does probably relates a lot to a matter of nurture. Throughout the show we were able to see how her parents supported her in all her decisions and that allowed her to be that beautiful light in her friends’ lives. On the other hand, we also saw what bad parenting caused on Ritchie.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t going to say anything because I know you are allowed to have an opinion, but Jill Baxter is one of my favorite characters from any limited series, so I really didn’t take your sentence very well.

FYC Emmys: Hacks, The Handmaid's Tale and The Queen's Gambit for the win!

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Since I decided to write 3 paragraphs about Jill Baxter, why not another post as well: FYC – Lydia West for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series!

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

She was a girl who was living her regular life as a wannabe actress, who suddenly saw most of her friends get sick and was trying all the way to be there for them and wasn’t able to sometimes. I don’t know what you mean by having no personality. Did you want her to be extremely over the top? I remember one of the scenes that I liked the most of the show is in episode 2 when she wasn’t able to sleep until she completely destroyed the cup. She wasn’t just this one note good friend that you’re portraying her.

Her character and what she does probably relates a lot to a matter of nurture. Throughout the show we were able to see how her parents supported her in all her decisions and that allowed her to be that beautiful light in her friends’ lives. On the other hand, we also saw what bad parenting caused on Ritchie.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t going to say anything because I know you are allowed to have an opinion, but Jill Baxter is one of my favorite characters from any limited series, so I really didn’t take your sentence very well.

You’re overdoing depth for a character that doesn’t exist. Her only point of existence in the story is to either smile or walk into a hallway to listen to a phone call about how someone died, and it recycles throughout the show. Even in the end, her only personality trait ends on being a gay’s hag and nothing else. That’s literally her only point of existence in this entire story: to be the one female friend to all these gays and nothing else. His analyzation of her lack of personality is on point. Good for you that you were about to like this characterization of her, but it’s completely understandable as to why others didn’t. It’s also partly the reason why this show is so overrated: people create depth for this show when it’s purely just gays having sex or dying over and over again. If you want to watch the better version of this show that isn’t twinked out by a British gay, Pose is that with far better actors and actresses, and a less generic plot with better characters.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

You’re overdoing depth for a character that doesn’t exist. Her only point of existence in the story is to either smile or walk into a hallway to listen to a phone call about how someone died, and it recycles throughout the show. Even in the end, her only personality trait ends on being a gay’s hag and nothing else. That’s literally her only point of existence in this entire story: to be the one female friend to all these gays and nothing else. His analyzation of her lack of personality is on point. Good for you that you were about to like this characterization of her, but it’s completely understandable as to why others didn’t. It’s also partly the reason why this show is so overrated: people create depth for this show when it’s purely just gays having sex or dying over and over again. If you want to watch the better version of this show that isn’t twinked out by a British gay, Pose is that with far better actors and actresses, and a less generic plot with better characters.

I watched Pose. I agree that there are extremely great characters like Blanca and Elektra, however, the show managed to make me hate every single male gay character. I think I was quite ashamed to be gay after watching Pray Tell, Ricky and Damon lol

My heart breaks by y’all thoughts about It’s a Sin. It was such a difference experience for me than what you’re describing that I really wish anyone could’ve felt the same way I did.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Variety asked 130 industry professionals what their Emmy picks were, and I May Destroy You dominated with a percentage almost triple the second-placed contender across drama/comedy/limited.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/emmys-2021-contenders-picks-i-may-destroy-you-1234999437/

For Your Consideration:

I May Destroy You in all categories
    (especially Michaela Coel in Lead Actress and Writing)

Profile picture
    Tjuz
    Topics:

My heart breaks by y’all thoughts about It’s a Sin. It was such a difference experience for me than what you’re describing that I really wish anyone could’ve felt the same way I did.

Don’t worry, I thought It’s A Sin was great too. I definitely prefer Pose overall, but that doesn’t take away from what this show achieved. Not sure where the intense dislike of some on here comes from, but it’s definitely very well liked in general. Lots of people out there who enjoyed it just as much as us! It’s not one of the best reviewed shows of the year so far for no reason. I’m just glad we’re living in a time where we’re able to get all this fantastic LGBT representation on TV at all. If we’re gonna talk about highly overrated limited series this Emmy cycle, look no further than The Queen’s Gambit. 👀

And if we’re gonna discuss which is the best LGBT show this Emmy cycle, it’s neither. I’m only two episodes into Veneno so far, but just those two episodes alone were already better than any in Pose or It’s A Sin’s latest seasons. And I say that as a big fan of both of those shows and their latest seasons. Highly urge anyone who’s into either of those shows to give it a shot. It’s available on HBO Max in the US, but it was created for ATRESplayer Premium in Spain.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Bridgerton being that high is frightening.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Bridgerton being that high is frightening.

Told you Phoebe’s neck is coming for other necks.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

It’s really nice to see Industry on that list, even if it’s 1.5% lol. Marisa Abela deserves a supporting actress nomination.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

It’s really nice to see Industry on that list, even if it’s 1.5% lol. Marisa Abela deserves a supporting actress nomination.

Such an underrated show

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Variety asked 130 industry professionals what their Emmy picks were, and I May Destroy You dominated with a percentage almost triple the second-placed contender across drama/comedy/limited.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/emmys-2021-contenders-picks-i-may-destroy-you-1234999437/

Not 0.75% saying the ineligible “The Last Dance” 💀

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I thought the character of Jill in It’s a Sin was beautifully depicted. No, she wasn’t a fully formed individual character, but nor did she need to be. She was an amalgam of all of the selfless nurses, carers, friends and allies who were also deeply involved and affected by the traumas of HIV/AIDS in the 80s at a time when stigma, discrimination and misinformation was at a high, and when even serving/treating/associating with HIV+ people would mark them as tainted. At some point early on I also thought “where is her story” but realised the point of her was to be a historical composite, like Emily Watson’s character in Chernobyl, to represent a moment in history rather than an individual. In Jill’s case, it was heartbreaking and illuminating (and showed up Sandra Bernhard’s embarrassing performance in Pose).

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

But that same logic can also be applied to Kwamé. His relationship with the first man who genuinely connected with him emotionally and saw who he truly was (which is a brilliantly executed scene) developed off-screen.

I May Destroy You is fundamentally Arabella’s story, while It’s A Sin presents itself as more of an ensemble piece (although Olly’s character is a soft lead). The issue with Jill’s story is that most of the male characters are afforded deeper exploration, while many of the scenes about her life are framed in relation to another (male) character – even her big scene with Hawes in the final episode is essentially about Olly’s character.

I also disagree with your assessment on Roscoe. I don’t think that character really went anywhere between the first episode and the finale. You say that he “chose himself over his sugar daddy and then dedicated his time to be a really great friend” – we see him ‘choose himself’ over his own family in the first episode, and remain a good friend to the other housemates throughout the show.

It is not the same. Especially the Roscoe example. To choose yourself over your family and then over your sugar daddy is not the same think, it was not a repetition like you making it sound, also, he make amends with his family, even that part of his story had a proper closure. The sexual life of Jill is also not that important, she had other storylines that were properly explored, she also probably had a crash on Ritchie. A

The issue with Kwame is much bigger, his story was left uncomplete, not only the boyfriend, also the overcome of his trauma and the conflict with the homophobe, none of those three storylines was closed properly. It is a major flaw in a gorgeous show that was not Arabella’s story, there is no show without Kwame and Terry, also their stories added to the main subject of the show – the different and complex situations of rape/consent.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I don’t want to sound like a douche, but there are people who still haven’t watched these shows. It’s a Sin has its own thread and this is a predictions thread, not a discussion about the shows.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.