Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 506 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Marvel is doing a Drive-In panel FYC for WV and Falcon apparently.

(https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1403874276109860868)

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Marvel is doing a Drive-In panel FYC for WV

Broski

and Falcon.

Broski

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

People here proclaimed The Underground Railroad as our new frontrunner when the first reviews dropped and I doubt most would stick with that assessment a month later now. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what prompted that.

Just look at what happened with Mrs America and Unorthodox last year. It is ignorant and foolish to think the audience and the buzz that comes with it is completely irrelevant. People bring up Genius’ overperformance for previous seasons as a counter argument but you’d need just one look at the prediction center in those years to see that it holds no weight.

Bringing up The Boys also ignores that its viewership is part of the reason that has helped overcome some of its other obstacles when it comes to awards. Isn’t Cobra Kai expected to take advantage of a weaker field to get in simply because it’s a populous hit? At no point it was claimed that viewership was the be-all and end-all anyway so I really don’t get what the fuss is all about.

Profile picture
    Wolvie13
    Topics:

I still think Anya Taylor-Joy is winning, but Winslet is making a strong case for herself.

totally agree!! I do prefer other performances rather than Kate’s (Coel i.e) but she seems to be the only one capable of getting the crown from ATJ

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

Speaking of TUR, can someone explain why these forums put the former so far ahead of something like Small Axe? Because the only advantage that TUR has over it is the recency bias it seems and I’m not sure if that holds any significant weight when all three of our series winners look to be shows from last year.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Pretty sure all ATJ, Coel and Winslet can win this. It’s a three-way-race in my book.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Speaking of TUR, can someone explain why these forums put the former so far ahead of something like Small Axe? Because the only advantage that TUR has over it is the recency bias it seems and I’m not sure if that holds any significant weight when all three of our series winners look to be shows from last year.

The Emmys are an American awards show, and Small Axe is set in the UK, in a time period and setting that hasn’t really been explored or examined on film in this way before.

However, The Underground Railroad isn’t as accessible as we thought it would be, which definitely makes Small Axe more competitive for a Series nomination. I’d argue that McQueen is as respected as Jenkins is, and the show has already performed relatively well as televised awards (Boyega wins, Series nomination at the globes, record-breaking BAFTA nominations count) while TUR is untested.

Ideally, they would both get in. I don’t like the fact that it’s presented as an either/or scenario.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

Ideally, they would both get in. I don’t like the fact that it’s presented as an either/or scenario.

I think both will get in but I’m not sure which one is stronger. The top 3 is set with TQG, IMDY and MoE imo. I don’t have much confidence in WandaVision. The marvel novelty has already worn off and the critical + audience reception decreased as the show went on. Beyond that there’s really nothing that I think has a shot.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Nominations in one month !

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The last time in series category when there were fall miniseries nominated without any guild nomination (The White Queen, Bonnie & Clyde, Luther S3 and Treme S4) was 2014 when TV movies and miniseries were separated after three years and there weren’t many limited series contenders. If Small Axe gets into series, it will be the first fall miniseries without any guild nomination to achieve that since 2014, just saying.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

The last time in series category when there were fall miniseries nominated without any guild nomination (The White Queen, Bonnie & Clyde, Luther S3 and Treme S4) was 2014 when TV movies and miniseries were separated after three years and there weren’t many limited series contenders. If Small Axe gets into series, it will be the first fall miniseries without any guild nomination to achieve that since 2014, just saying.

It was ineligible at most of them though. And also, the fact that so many film awards embraced the show despite the fact that it’s a made-for-television episodic anthology indicates that it probably is on the radar of relevant industry groups (given that critics/festivals often promote what they think will connect with the industry).

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I just rewatched parts of the Mare finale, and Kate’s reaction shot is still one of the best acted scenes of the year. That gasp… The fact that she shot it at the very beginning and had to stare at an orange X just makes it better.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Small Axe vs Wandavision for the last spot, the other 4 are “safe” IMO

Small Axe did show a strong craft team at BAFTA but Wandavision will probably get some at the Emmys as well. And Marvel is campaigning like crazy. I will suffer with what to choose forever.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

WandaVision is for my more safe than TUR

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

WandaVision is for my more safe than TUR

I don’t think so, The Underground Railroad is a very good show with a premise made for awards that they eat it up.

I have no clue how the TV Academy will react to Marvel.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.