Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 3)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Netflix may also have Mike Flanagan’s Midnight Mass. It’s got a pretty good cast led by Kate Siegel. It finished filming in December, so Netflix likely could have it ready if they wanted to, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they saved it for the usual October horror slot. It is a horror, which could bring it down, but Netflix really doesn’t have any viable contenders outside of The Crown (I’m not buying into Ratched outside a couple acting categories or Bridgerton at all), so it could by default become their second biggest priority. Can’t really count anything out at this point.

I want Mike Flanagan to be an Emmy winner so bad.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I thought it was a limited series?

That info wasn’t on the Wikipedia page so I should’ve done more research but you’re absolutely right.

Ugh. I was hoping he could take advantage of drama being wide open to get his incredibly deserved nominations and wins, but I guess not. Let’s hope Netflix bullies him into continuing it so he can get it here where there’s more room to breathe.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

It’s so weird how Netflix consistently has such a disappointing drama slate. The Crown is obviously going to DOMINATE, but they could easily take up half the series slots if they had anything viable to submit.

I guess Shadow and Bone could end up as a GoT? But that seems like it’ll be more teen-oriented with less of a prestige sheen. Eric Heisserer has been so inconsistent (yay for Arrival, yikes for Bloodshot, eh for Bird Box) that his involvement doesn’t mean much.

Pieces of Her with Lesli Linka Glatter and Toni Collette looks very promising, but they’re only scheduled to start production this month (with no confirmation it’s done so as of now), so who knows if it’ll be ready on time. And it’s based on a book so it could just end up being limited anyway.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I guess Bridgerton and Lovecraft Country are in?

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I guess Bridgerton and Lovecraft Country are in?

Pretty much at least for one big award, the last show(s) to make AFI (and that’s Emmy eligible for the next year) and miss was Jane the Virgin S1 (2014), prior was The American S1 (2013), The Walking Dead S2/3 (2012) and Justified S2 (2011).

Jane had CW bias so that’s explainable, Americans still got an Margo guest win, Justified’s later Emmy eligible 3rd season won for Davies.

The only thing to truly miss this past decade was The Walking Dead.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I don’t see how the Emmys will sleep on Lovecraft Country, i just don’t.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Completely agreed, Victor. After The Mandalorian, Russian Doll, and Watchmen all struck big but stumbled elsewhere, I’m now convinced that the TV Academy is much more friendly to out-there genre content than most other organizations. If Lovecraft Country has been doing this well so far (and does as well as it’s expected to at the Globes), it’ll rack up some pretty nice numbers at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This may be a stretch and it feels weird for me to say this because I am the person who has stuck with the prediction that Gillian Anderson will win all season long but could Anderson be hurt by both Small Axe and It’s a Sin gaining traction and being shows that depict the negative consequences of Margaret Thatcher’s premiership on LGTBQ+ and ethnic communities? I wonder if it may deter voters for voting for Anderson because ofc she plays Thatcher.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Completely agreed, Victor. After The Mandalorian, Russian Doll, and Watchmen all struck big but stumbled elsewhere, I’m now convinced that the TV Academy is much more friendly to out-there genre content than most other organizations. If Lovecraft Country has been doing this well so far (and does as well as it’s expected to at the Globes), it’ll rack up some pretty nice numbers at the Emmys.

Even if it’s shut out at the Globes there will be a path for it on my point of view, i think it’s similar to Watchmen, obviously it won’t have twenty something nominations like it, but it seems such an Emmy show.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I wonder if it may deter voters for voting for Anderson because ofc she plays Thatcher.

Eh, probably not. Anderson plays a humanized version of Thatcher, but not necessarily a (for lack of a better word) romanticized one. I think she’ll be fine.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She doesn’t play a romanticised version of Thatcher but neither did Cate Blanchett with Phyllis Schlafly and whilst the character she was playing wasn’t the sole reason she lost I do think it was a reason.

I am still predicting Anderson to win but I can see a world where she loses because voters can’t stomach voting for Margaret Thatcher (even though they aren’t actually voting for Margaret Thatcher I do think some will feel they are).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Ryan F
    Topics:

I’ve been watching I Hate Suzie and I’m currently on episode 4. Other than the fact that I would consider it more of a comedy than a drama, I feel as though its chances are also better if it were to be submitted as comedy. What do you all think? Is there a slight chance they reverse their decision and submit it in comedy?

(Also, how come it was deemed ineligible at the Golden Globes?)

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I am still predicting Anderson to win but I can see a world where she loses because voters can’t stomach voting for Margaret Thatcher (even though they aren’t actually voting for Margaret Thatcher I do think some will feel they are).

These are the same people who gave the domestic abuser from BLL, Andrew Cuananan, Dee Dee Blanchard, Aunt Lydia, and Donald Trump wins. I don’t think they’ll be putting that much thought into this.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The only person that can take down Anderson is Margulies so we have to see her performance before considering an upset.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I personally consider it a comedy and I guess HBO Max always could resubmit it as comedy if it (likely) flops at the winter awards but considering the amount of comedy contenders HBO Max already has and the lack of drama contenders I think they’ll keep it in Drama.

It’s a shame because unless it sweeps the BAFTAs I find it hard to see Piper get in (and she gave my favourite performance of the year). If it was in comedy it could have been a top 3/4 contender whilst in drama I think it either gets a drama writing nomination and a few half hour techs or nothing. Even though the show and Piper have been praised by members of the Academy online and Netflix essentially signed a deal with Prebble for exclusive content in the future because of the show’s success.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.