Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 3)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m still confident in Matthew, come on man

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I like Gold Stick as an episode but if true, that’ll be their third consecutive writing submission that I find extremely unsatisfying personally.

I wouldn’t necessarily be upset by it being the writing push, but I think there’s definitely better options. Particularly War, an episode that ends the season perfectly, giving great moments to the Elisabeth, Diana, Charles, Thatcher, and Phillip, so it’ll also satisfy the fans of several characters.

I think Goldsticks could be a strong directing submission. The hunting sequence is brilliantly put together and the use of shadows in the Charles and Phillip scene was striking.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

For me it would only be 1 nominee for show
    The way it floods every year at some point, The Good Place getting 2, WWDITS getting 3, meh.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

It’s be hilarious if Menzies misses for is 1st season in lead, nominated for a 2nd season in supporting. Just like Smith.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s be hilarious if Menzies misses for is 1st season in lead, nominated for a 2nd season in supporting. Just like Smith.

It would be even more hilarious if Menzies loses and then the same trend happens with Jonathan Pryce. What does Phillip even have to do in the 2000s for Pryce to have more win worthy material than whomever is coming to play Blair (please be Tennant)?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Lol as if Morgan has chosen his worst written episode ever for Writing

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m just assuming Gold Stick is the submission because that was the only one they showed on the Writing page of the booklet whilst on the directing page they showed both The Balmoral Test and Gold Stick (both of which can’t be submitted as they were both directed by the same director).

I went into this a bit on the Globes thread. We can joke about how they’ve just done this because Anderson is Morgan’s girlfriend haha but considering the end of year critics lists the decision does not surprise me. On some critics lists of performances of the year Anderson only appeared and on some Corrin did (out of TC cast members of course). Then you had people like Reese Witherspoon and Florence Pugh saying they wanted both of them to win showing that the industry wanted to award both performances. They’re trying to avoid a vote-split here but it will be interesting to see if it pays off for them.

I do think if The Crown is winning Drama Series that both Corrin and O’Connor are locked for the wins in their categories.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I don’t even think they’ve done it just to split Anderson and Corrin. For me, it’s clearly about maximisation of wins across the board (as much of this forum liked to pretend otherwise, Colman did not have the heat to win that Globe again let alone the Emmy) and reducing the number of Supporting Actress contenders they had (they have 5 even with Corrin having moved!).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel comfortable ruling Colman out for the win. I know it may seem premature but since Tatiana Maslany’s win each of the winners in this category have been performers with “shocking performances” either through them playing against type or being newcomers in transformative showy roles (apart from Elisabeth Moss whose show swept). As much as I like Colman’s performance Corrin being a young newcomer delivering the definitive depiction of Diana fits this trend more than Colman playing another English Queen.

It’s Corrin vs Aniston imo but I feel confident Corrin will win out in the end like Strong did over Bateman (but who knows!)

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

Every year we overestimate The Crown when it comes to acting nods, let’s be realistic, only olivia, emma, Gillian , helena and josh are getting in. This is the best case scenario, no matter how we try to flip it, Tobias and especially Erin Doherty wont come close to a nomination. What’s more laughable is the idea that emerald fennel could get in. Even with the ones I have mentioned will get in, Olivia Colman could possibly miss. I can see a situation where the winter awards don’t swing in her favour like last season

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I love how when people keep saying The Crown is being overestimated with actors because it didn’t do well this year they’re neglecting to mention this season is the one breaking viewership records, is the only one with a 96% Rotten Tomatoes score, has weak competition and is the first one that critics, audiences and the industry have openly rallied behind.

But sure it is being overestimated with actors because Josh O’Connor missed for a 4 episode arc in the supporting actor category in a competitive year.

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

I feel comfortable ruling Colman out for the win. I know it may seem premature but since Tatiana Maslany’s win each of the winners in this category have been performers with “shocking performances” either through them playing against type or being newcomers in transformative showy roles (apart from Elisabeth Moss whose show swept). As much as I like Colman’s performance Corrin being a young newcomer delivering the definitive depiction of Diana fits this trend more than Colman playing another English Queen. It’s Corrin vs Aniston imo but I feel confident Corrin will win out in the end like Strong did over Bateman (but who knows!)

Yeah Colman will be lucky to get nominated in lead and she can thank a relatively weak year. Corrin while unknown has the buzzier role.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Colman is not getting snubbed but she is not winning for sure.

If the line up ends up being Corrin/Colman/Aniston/Witherspoon/2 others contenders, I have to wonder if it won’t be one of those last two that will ultimately prevail depending on how strong they are.

2018 lead actor had a line up of 6 nominees with 2 pairs of actors from the same show, and ultimately it’s not a member of those pairs that ended up winning. Although you could argue that The Crown and TMS will likely be stronger than This Is Us and Westworld s2 were (tho the latter won supporting actress and TIU had won SAG ensemble a few months prior).

I also think this Corrin placement indicates Ozark won’t return in time as Netflix is planning without Linney in contention.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I am gone from the TV threads for a few days and I just NOW find out that Corrin is competing as a lead?!?! OMG!

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.