Home Forums Television FARGO Season 4 returns this September

FARGO Season 4 returns this September

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Eden
methaddiction
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I don’t think this is dead, without the EW stinker this would have a reception in the 70s. It’s not sweeping, but I don’t see how it’s not a top 5 player. I also think Buckley can win the Globe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

65?

I just wanna sit down and cry. How did this happened?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

OMG.. I can’t do this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Remember when people said I was delusional for not predicting it as a Globe lock a couple of weeks ago? I feel like considering the trend I need to start taking being called delusions on here as a compliment.

I don’t think this is dead, without the EW stinker this would have a reception in the 70s. It’s not sweeping, but I don’t see how it’s not a top 5 player. I also think Buckley can win the Globe.

You think Buckley  (whose work remains unseen here although she is an excellent thespian) can beat Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher, Emma Corrin playing Princess Diana, potential Emmy incumbent Julia Garner or one of the supporting players from perhaps the most hyped about David E.Kelley outing? Big no. I love Buckley but I think (unless we get an undeniable player from The Undoing) that if anyone from a Limited Series is winning the Globe it’s Rose Byrne.

Also I wouldn’t say it’s a top 5 player when A Teacher, The Comey Rule, Mare of Easttown, The Underground Railroad, The Undoing, Impeachment and Black Narcissus are probably going to be up against it at the Emmys. I mean obviously some of these contenders could flop but for now in my eyes it’s provably lucky enough to be in the top 10 at this point.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

I don’t know why but I always thought this and Better Call Saul would get a metascore of 85+, so I’m surprised by the reception to this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

You think Buckley  (whose work remains unseen here although she is an excellent thespian) can beat Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher, Emma Corrin playing Princess Diana, potential Emmy incumbent Julia Garner or one of the supporting players from perhaps the most hyped about David E.Kelley outing?

I sure do. she’s been just outside mainstream recognition in the states for a few years now, has the Kauffman movie that puts her even more on the map this time, and is hyped as the MVP in just about every review. Not saying it will happen, but I sure think it can! Anderson is the biggest competition, I see the globes as being indifferent to Ozark like they are Barry and Veep so I don’t know if Garner can win and who the hell would win from The Undoing? Lily Rabe? I would love it but she doesn’t have her name in the trailer and is featured in it for about 13 seconds.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I sure do. she’s been just outside mainstream recognition in the states for a few years now, has the Kauffman movie that puts her even more on the map this time, and is hyped as the MVP in just about every review. Not saying it will happen, but I sure think it can! Anderson is the biggest competition, I see the globes as being indifferent to Ozark like they are Barry and Veep so I don’t know if Garner can win and who the hell would win from The Undoing? Lily Rabe? I would love it but she doesn’t have her name in the trailer and is featured in it for about 13 seconds.

This is a good point and just to say I absolutely think she deserves to win some sort of an award states side. I am someone who like Renee’s performance in Judy last year but really Jessie gave the best performance by an actress that year by far in Wild Rose.

I think Anderson and Corrin are the frontrunners (unless The Crown flops) because of who they’re playing, the HFPA love for the show and the hype and timing of this season (I think they probably would have had an advantage even if Succession returned on time). With regards to The Undoing well Noma Dumzweni. She has a meaty role if I’m not mistaken, is all over promo for the show as the show’s key supporting performer (or rather I think so considering she’s the only non Kidman female actor to have a speaking role in almost every trailer) and she fits the mould of people like Ben Whishaw winning this award (she is a veteran television actor in the UK and is a Tony winning actor).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

The premiere was slow, but still good. Chris Rock was solid, Jessie Buckley was nice as well, Jason Schwartzman was… okay, I guess. However, the real MVP of this episode was certanly Emyri Crutchfield. Hoping that she doesn’t turn into the Mary Elizabeth Winstead of the season.

Hawley’s direction and the cinematography were good as usual/expected. He will probably submit this episode a la season 3. Not MC yellow material (yet, maybe).

The writing wasn’t sharp as before, I gotta say.

The score was sort of a hit and miss. Also not as good as before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

Solid premiere. We definitely didn’t need two supersized episodes to get to this point in the story, and I think some judicious cutting would’ve greatly improved the pacing. I don’t yet find these characters and the set-up as immediately compelling as previous seasons––especially the second––but I like all of the pieces Hawley has put in motion on the chess board. I think what’s missing this time around, from the jump, is that inciting action (murder/deathly accident from the first seasons) that jolts the characters and the audience with it. They had a few iterations of that here, but nothing as monumental that you know from the start that the ground has shifted under all of the characters’ feet.

I thought Turman was a highlight based on his performance in the back half of the second episode, and I agree Crutchfield was excellent as the audience proxy, not an easy task. The others? So far, fine. Nothing memorable, yet, certainly not on par with the showcases Martin Freeman, Kirsten Dunst, and Jesse Plemons had early on.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Yeah, Glynn Turman was the MVP of the second episode for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Yeah not feeling this season. I would give both episodes a C+ tbh. I’m skipping this season

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I really liked it even though there were slower moments. The cast is solid in my opinion. Wasn’t expecting Ben Whishaw to have such a small role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

Wasn’t expecting Ben Whishaw to have such a small role.

He supposedly has a showcase episode toward the end of the season, per reviewers who got 9 of the 11.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I think the premiere was decent even though it seemed to go in a different direction than previous seasons. It felt dumbed-down, which most recently hurt Westworld’s third season. Since I’m on the topic of doing a different Fargo than usual, I’m bothered the title theme is changed. The previous one, accompanied by the tune, was outstanding. I’m also missing the winter scenery.

Normally, I’d say Rock, Turman and Buckley are easily getting Emmy nominated, but the weaker reception and not having a spring premiere are a disadvantage. It will probably end up depending on how the limited series race is shaped.

Rock has a decent performance, maybe I had a wrong impression of expecting much more. Thurman was terrific, who I believed would have a much smaller role. Buckley is agonizingly terrific. Very curious where her character goes in the next episodes.

Lastly, I haven’t seen Ratched, but I’m pretty sure Buckley is giving a superior performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I liked the first two episodes. I doubt this reaches the level of greatness seasons 1 and 2 did, but I’m sure it’ll still be better than 90% of what’s on TV. They managed to do a lot of world building and fit in a lot of character introduction into the first two episodes, but it never felt overwhelming or difficult to follow. I already love the dynamic between the two families, and the rising tension is already established. I’m sure it’ll only get better as the season progresses.

This is a really, really big ensemble lol. I thought Rock would be the clear lead, but I felt like he had the screen time of a supporting character. He also seems to be playing the Patrick Wilson/Carrie Coon type, in the sense that his character isn’t very showy, which could affect his awards prospects. I thought Buckley was the clear standout. She was phenomenal. Whoever thought to cast her as a homicidal, drug using nurse, with a Minnesota accent, deserves a raise. She’s got crazy range, and handled her wordy dialogue so easily. I’m ready to stan for her awards chances and we’re only through the first two episodes lol. Schwartzman and Turman were also great. Nobody else left much of an impression, though there’s no clear weak link amongst the cast.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.