Home Forums Television FARGO Season 4 returns this September

FARGO Season 4 returns this September

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
David Buchanan
Eden
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

Strategically, I don’t see how Schwartzman makes sense. Not only does he not have a track record with the Globes, but his performance is just fine––nothing more or less. Whishaw, on the other hand, just won a Globe in 2019 in the very category he’d compete in for Fargo and he’s a standout amongst this sprawling ensemble. Yes, he’s had limited material in terms of screen time, but Vanity Fair said he has a standout episode centered on him in the back half of the season, and I think that’ll tell us more about his awards prospects. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but if I were FX I’d push for Whishaw and if the HFPA is watching the season, I think they’d much more likely vote for him than Schwartzman or any other choice, perhaps except Turman.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Denis
    Topics:

That was a terrific episode, I love Timothy Olyphant, he is fantastic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

Yeah, “The Nadir” was outstanding. I know the pace of the season has been an issue for folks and I get the issues with some of the table-setting episodes in the middle of the run, but payoffs like this one and, I’m sure, what’s to come make it so worth the investment of time. Olyphant stood out in this episode and Buckley did her best work in weeks. I have to give kudos to Karen Aldridge for her performance as Zelmare, too––she doesn’t get a lot of screentime, but she’s such fun every time she’s on screen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

I confess that I think this is Fargo’s weakest season so far because of the slow pace and the huge number of characters, which make several of them appear little during many episodes, like Etherilda (and the plot of the nurse played by Jessie Buckley seems almost to belong to another series). That said, episode 8 was excellent, especially in the climax.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I think “East/West” is Fargo at its best and that was refreshing during a subpar season. Maybe because it had a clear focus rather than trying to play with dozens of characters or because, at least for me, it was the first episode this season with a clear narrative and idea.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

I think “East/West” is Fargo at its best…

Agreed! Cinematically beautiful, allegorically rich, with a great anchoring performance from Whishaw; I hope he gets remembered at the Globes and Emmys, even if unlikely. An excellent episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Denis
    Topics:

Another terrific episode and stunningly beautiful.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

Great penultimate episode. I love how they’re finally bringing all of the storylines together, though I wish they had done so sooner. I strangely feel like this season needed both more episodes to work with so many characters, but it also could’ve also done with just 10 instead of 11 if they trimmed some of the fat and condensed some of the plodding middle stretch. Nevertheless, Season 4 is shaping up to be a good outing––great, pending the finale next week. Buckley was excellent in this one and it looks like she’ll be great in the last one, too. I’ll be sad to see it go, especially with the uncertainty with the if and when of a fifth season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

It was definitely not my favorite season of Fargo, but I hope to see nominations for Jessie Buckley and Ben Whishaw.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

It was my first time finishing a season of Fargo. I liked the finale. Overall the season wasn’t amazing but wasn’t bad either. I’ll definitely watch the previous seasons in order.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Buckley was excellent. A review for the rest of the season from me won’t be very nice so I’ll hold back on that.

I hope Buckley pulls through at the Emmys but sadly what I hope gets nominated and what the Academy nominates hardly correlate lol.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David Buchanan
    Topics:

A fine finale, if not a tad predictable, though with Fargo at least events are always a pleasure to watch unfold. The first half was excellent.

I, too, would nominate Buckley and Whishaw. I won’t mind snubs for Rock and Schwartzman, who were good and sometimes great, but certainly not the commanding performances we had in seasons past. Karen Aldridge, Glynn Turman, and Timothy Olyphant were all great, but none had enough to do to warrant bids in these crowded fields.

Overall, a good season that pales in comparison with Fargo’s previous highs, but still held my attention every week unlike a lot of shows on TV in 2020. I think it’ll benefit from a binge rewatch, too, when the gaps in time when we don’t see a character for a week or two won’t feel so large.

I’ll definitely watch the previous seasons in order.

I think that’s the best way to do it. 1 is excellent, 2 is incredible, and I’d put 3 probably on par with or a bit above 4. There’s no bad season of Fargo yet.

A review for the rest of the season from me won’t be very nice so I’ll hold back on that.

Oh, now I’m especially interested!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

It is sad that so few of us are watching this masterpiece of a show here. I think that this season has been as good as 1 and 2, yes, slower in pace than them, but equally captivating. The complain about the so many characters is a mystery to me, all of them were brilliantly written. For example, J. Nicole Brooks was last on the guest actors list, but she had marvelous scenes as Buel Cannon and left a mark. There are almost no other shows that can do such good scenes with so minor character.

I have been commenting the show mostly with the Facebook fandom and people have grown to love the season there with a huge passion.

I agree with the consensus there that Jessie Buckley, Ben Whishaw, Glynn Turman and Jack Huston were the MVP´s. Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman got better with the progression of the season, but neither was a stand out and I hope that the Globes, SAG and Critics Choice won´t go for them just cause they are the leads, I hope that they are paying attention.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

I watched. I just didn’t comment much Bc wasn’t completely thrilled with season. The main problem I had was that there were too many characters. Characters were Great but there Were too many. For example, I would of watched a whole series of Jesse Buckley and she just went nowhere. I wish she had survived even though there wouldn’t be a spinoff.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cobalt Blue
    Topics:

This is the first season of Fargo I struggled to finish.  Ultimately, this story of two mediocre crime families never found that spark to take it to the next level.  The characters were a mixed bag, some quite good, but also some were quite bad.   The casting of Chris Rock was intriguing but, him as the crime boss just did not work out.  Whenever the families crossed paths, there was too heavy a leaning on  monologues ‘back in my day, blah blah blah blah, and that means THIS”.  The deaths of several major characters to completely random events was not satisfying.  Overall,  I found it to be easily the weakest of the four seasons.  Buckley felt like the biggest awards player.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.