Home Forums Television Final Emmys 2020 Predictions for All 23 Primetime Categories

Final Emmys 2020 Predictions for All 23 Primetime Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Eden
William Gillq..
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Over 3,000 people have made their picks in our Gold Derby predictions center. That includes the public, experts, editors, Top 24 from last year and more.

Here is a link to the most recent odds and picks for all 23 Primetime categories:

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/emmy-predictions-odds-categories-schitts-creek/

You’ve got until Sunday at 4:00 PT to change your picks or make them for the first time.

What are your final predictions? Which ones are giving you the most trouble??

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Which ones are giving you the most trouble??

All 4 acting for drama, I am split between Linney/Zendaya, Strong/Bateman, Esposito/Crudup, Garner/Shaw.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

The supporting categories in Drama and Limited Series are giving me the most trouble. But as opposed to many here I’m quite confident in both Linney and Strong. They just feel right.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

All the supporting categories and Lead Actor in a Comedy Series and Lead Actress in a Drama Series.

I’m quite confident on Jeremy Strong also.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Lead Performances in Drama. A Succession split is possible in Actor, and Actress as four possibilities for me.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Drama & Comedy Directing:

With Succession winning casting and editing, I did switch to it in directing, but we just saw last year the drama series winner win casting and editing, only to lose directing in a vote-split to Ozark.  Why would history not repeat itself?  There is a reason why I was predicting series and casting for Succession and directing for Ozark.  The odds ignored the vote-splits that materialized in the category the last two years and this is the first time in that stretch that I am too.  I had editing for Ozark too, but acknowledged that it could lose through vote-splitting.  Hopefully we see unexpected strength for Ozark (cinematography and sound) or Succession (guest) tomorrow.  I also have issues with the Succession directing on merit and showiness, but I suppose that Ozark just won.

I have Ramy in directing, but it is so hard to justify with Ramy not making a series field of eight and with Schitt’s Creek being the series winner.  Freaking David Lynch for series/casting-snubbed Twin Peaks did not really come close to winning over the relevant series winner in directing a couple of years ago.  But the directors have clearly gone in a different direction this year by acknowledging both Ramy and The Great, plus Modern Family.  Maybe this just a slam dunk for Schitt’s Creek, since they had to go so far down the line to find nominees?

But I do not see how it can be a slam dunk when directors clearly has enough standards that they are yet to award Last Week Tonight, even though it is so far ahead of all other variety shows in a general sense, even Saturday Night Live.  So they do sidestep their favourites if there is just nothing there directorially.  The other thing is that it is basically only Ramy and Schitt’s Creek that I am considering.  I question passion for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel among directors, seeing as how it has lost DGA three times now and only won the Emmy when Atlanta was vote-splitting.  Then again, the Creative Arts showed us repeatedly that the Emmys are very capable this year of defaulting to things after having moved on from them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Right now I’m still ruminating on:
    1. Limited Series Supporting Actor : Yahya-Abdul Mateen II (who is from the limited series predicted winner, but has to overcome a vote split) vs Jim Parsons (who is an Emmy favorite, but isn’t from a nominated series, plays an unlikeable character and is a white person in a category full of POC)
    2. Drama Supporting Actor : I’m pretty sure the Succession guys won’t take it due to vote-splitting(also have a feeling that people are underestimating Braun by calling him a non-factor here). Crudup seems the safest choice, but both Esposito and Wright could take this.
    3. Comedy Supporting Actor : Shalhoub vs Levy. Normally I would’ve said Levy, but I’m already predicting O’Hara and Eugene and if feels off for Schitt’s to win more than 2 out of 4 acting nominations. Shalhoub is also helped by his SAG victory.
    4. Comedy Supporting Actress : Orji vs Borstein. Each supporting actress this decade has won twice in a row, which really seems like a trend. That makes me think that Borstein won’t get a third Emmy this year, but I’m not extremely confident in that. Orji has all the Insecure hype behind her and is the only POC in her category.
    5. Drama Actor : Strong vs Cox vs Bateman. Hardest one for me right now. Bateman can really win due to vote-split(especially since that’s what happened at GD this week), but I really feel like everyone will vote for one of the two Succession guys.
    Can’t really say whether Strong is likelier than Cox or vice-versa. Going by what happened last year with Comer and Oh, I’m leaning towards Strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Stuck on the following five acting categories:

Crudup/Culkin/Esposito

Levy/Youssef

Borstein/Carden/Murphy

Mescal/Jackman/Ruffalo

Aduba/Smart

And also Comedy Directing. Drama Actress can go six ways, so I’m just sticking with Zendaya.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Mescal/Jackman/Ruffalo

there are a lot of categories this year that are impossible to predict, but this is absolutely not one of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

I’m going with:
    Succession, Schitts Creek
    Strong (whom I adore and maybe it’s wishful thinking), Linney, Garner (whom I love), and Crudup (who’s the best thing about this show), and Succession twice, even though I have a feeling about that Fire Pink episode.
    O’Hara, Eugene Levy, Tony Shalhoub, and my personal I-don’t-care-if-she-loses-I’m-predicting-her Annie for acting; then, Maisel for directing and Schitts Creek for writing. I don’t buy Schitts Creek in directing. Fleabag had a very distinctive style. This one feels like if it was captured by accident. Visually it’s kinda bland.
    For limited: Watchmen all around, with Aduba supporting actress. I’m torn in supporting actor. Gossett, Jr. is your typical Emmy winner in the category but that actor playing him as a young man just feels right.
    And same as with Annie, I’m sticking with Mescal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Aduba or Smart and Snook or HBC those are the two that are bugging me the most now I’ve thought about it again.

HBC leading both the audience and critics metacrtic polls is significant (funny how Olivia Colman led over Laura Linney in the audience one).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I’m convinced people are voting for Olivia because they like her as a person if we’re going off performance she shouldn’t be leading any poll.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m convinced people are voting for Olivia because they like her as a person if we’re going off performance she shouldn’t be leading any poll.

This is true although just to say I vaguely remember you saying when The Crown came out on the season 3 thread that Olivia already deserves to win the Emmy after 3 episodes…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

This is true although just to say I vaguely remember you saying when The Crown came out on the season 3 thread that Olivia already deserves to win the Emmy after 3 episodes…

That was before I saw the other contenders and I do really like Olivia so I was probably being biased.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

I have Succession, Schitt’s Creek and Watchmen winning both directing and writing. But I’m not confident about it. I think this has never happened before or, at least, it didn’t happen in the most recent years. Writing is locked for the three shows, but I have no idea which show(s) would lose directing. Should I change Schitt’s Creek in directing to The Great or Ramy? Let’s not forget the last time a series won in directing without a series nominations was back in 2008.

I’ve switched from Helena Bonham Carter to Julia Garner in supporting actress. The reason that I did it is a little bit obvious: I’m predicting Linney to win, Garner is the defending champion, so why she wouldn’t win? However, I think we might have a surprise in this category (I wouldn’t underestimate Carter, Fiona Shaw and Rhea Seehorn Sarah Snook).

Also, I’m not sure about lead actor in a comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.