Home Forums Television FOSSE/VERDON (2019)

FOSSE/VERDON (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Jays
Kubrick
  • Kubrick
    Participant
    Topics:

Williams continually steals the show in this supremely uneven series. There was a moment in the last episode where she was talking to Joan Simon in the hospital, and just as Williams’ face began to register what her ailing friend was telling her, they cut away! You do not cut away from Michelle Williams when that face cracks and she starts to quietly lose it on screen. I actually yelled WHY when I saw this. It could have been an Emmy-winning moment for her, truly.

The whole shebang is a mixed bag for me. Being a theatre geek and Fosse fan, I was super jazzed when I heard about this project. But the last episode really made me wonder if I would continue watching had it not been for Williams always delivering.

Michelle will easily get nominated but she faces stiff competition from Arquette, King and Adams.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I just got around to bingeing all four episodes last night, and while it isn’t always the sum of its parts, this show is still pretty enjoyable, mostly because of the performances and the inherently juicy content of the lives of Fosse and Verdon. At first I wasn’t 100% sure if Williams would get in, but DAMN if she didn’t sell me in the last two episodes. She brings just the right amount of theatrics in portraying Verdon, but those quiet, subtle moments are dynamite. I have to echo what someone said before about the scene on stage where everyone is cheering for her, the emotion on her face was stunning and raw, along with the monologue from the play earlier in the episode.

Limited Series Actress is quickly becoming my favorite category this season; Williams, King, Adams, and Arquette all give performances that will stay with me for quite some time, and I’m curious to see who they will choose since it seems like an impossible choice to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Tonight’s Episode: Where Am I Going?

Synopsis: As old friends reunite for a weekend at the beach, new tensions emerge between Bob and Gwen.

Discuss!

ReplyCopy URL
    Kubrick
    Participant
    Topics:

The Limited Series Actress category is primed to be an embarrassment of riches.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Tonight’s Episode: All I Care About is Love

Synopsis: As Bob is pulled between multiple projects, he and Gwen begin rehearsals for Chicago, but the mounting pressure may prove too much to bear.

Discuss!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

In a recent interview with Carol de Giere, composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz talked about his thoughts on how the miniseries told the story of Bob Fosse bringing Pippin to Broadway.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Stephen-Schwartz-Speaks-Up-About-How-the-Story-of-PIPPIN-Was-Told-on-FOSSEVERDON-20190516

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Tonight’s Episode: Nowadays

Synopsis: Gwen fights to assert her own creative vision on Chicago, challenging Bob’s increasingly dark approach to the musical.

Discuss!

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Williams is trending on twitter tonight for her performance in tonight’s episode with everyone saying she should win an Emmy for it.

Looks like it’s her vs Arquette. Do not count her out. You rarely see individual actors trending on twitter in awards contenders.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Andrea.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Andrea.

FYC Emmys- It's TIME JUST GIVE THESE WOMEN THEIR FIRST EMMYS- Lena Headey, Game of Thrones Sandra Oh, Killing Eve Anna Chulmsky, Veep Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag Phylicia Rashad, This is Us Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon Emily Watson, Chernobyl

ReplyCopy URL
    akyanks
    Participant
    Topics:

This isn’t my favorite show ever, but Michelle Williams may be giving the performance of her career (maybe behind Blue Valentine). And I REALLY love Michelle’s filmography, she’s just out of this world amazing in this. Maybe my favorite performance of the tv year…?

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve had mixed feelings about the show but Williams was really excellent in this episode. I think she’s definitely a contender to win now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Me: don’t say it

don’t say it

don’t say it

don’t say it

don’t say it

Also me: GIVE MICHELLE WILLIAMS ALL THE AWARDS!

She really has the performance of the year and the current episode proved that yet again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

Is this REALLY worth watching? I watched the first 10 minutes but it was a bore.Should I give it another try?.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Is this REALLY worth watching? I watched the first 10 minutes but it was a bore.Should I give it another try?.

I can relate. Well, if you’re interested in the subject matter, sure, if not then um no. I think it is a very well directed and edited show with fantastic performances especially by its 2 leads but God it is a bore.

Reading the comments on here, if white Michelle wins the Emmy for lead and Patty wins over overrated Clarkson in supporting, I will gag.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Michelle Williams is so good in this that it almost throws the production off balance. I really feel like I’m watching Gwen Verdon; she has completely merged with the character. I don’t get the same sense from Rockwell’s Fosse. Possibly it’s the writing, but I’m not getting the sense of the brilliant, compelling genius from him that we need to understand why all these people would put up with his attendant whiny bullshit. They’ve spent too much time focusing on the whiny bullshit.

Norbert Leo Butz makes all of his lines sing as Paddy Chayefsky. He’s a really terrific character actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I can relate. Well, if you’re interested in the subject matter, sure, if not then um no. I think it is a very well directed and edited show with fantastic performances especially by its 2 leads but God it is a bore.

Reading the comments on here, if white Michelle wins the Emmy for lead and Patty wins over overrated Clarkson in supporting, I will gag.

I like Clarkson but I really want this to happen!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.