Home Forums Television FOSSE/VERDON (2019)

FOSSE/VERDON (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 155 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
19 hours ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Kubrick
Jays
  • Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, that’s it, folks. Arquette is winning. That sadly means Clarkson is winning supporting actress, which I’ll endure since there is 0 competition and they’re not gonna give Arquette 2/2.

I’m so happy about Arquette though!

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:
    Keymaster
    Topics:

This reminds me of Trust, another spring FX anthology about real-life people in the 1970s and made by Oscar winners coming to television. That ended up with 67 on Metacritic last year and I suspect Fosse/Verdon to do similarly. This will do better at the Emmys because it will get a better campaign, e.g. not being inexplicably submitted as a drama. Trust had a bombastic premiere that suggested more of a Ryan Murphy-esque farce than is suggested by the premiere Fosse/Verdon, which sounds like the pitch for another Murphy limited series on FX. I found myself asking what I was watching from the opening scene of Fosse/Verdon, so if you find yourself not responding well at the start of the premiere, do not expect the show to grow on you over the course of the first two episodes.

FX emailed the press yesterday evening “This Just In!” that they will be providing the third, fourth and maybe the fifth episodes to us sometime next week, with no embargo on them, so do not expect there to be any more reviews until then. I am so confused by how FX is providing episodes to the press and managing review embargoes and whatnot for this show. I will post when those become available and I suppose that I should check them out.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Sigh.

I will have to hope LAMY rallies and takes it than.

FYC Emmys- It's TIME JUST GIVE THESE WOMEN THEIR FIRST EMMYS- Lena Headey, Game of Thrones Sandra Oh, Killing Eve Anna Chulmsky, Veep Phylicia Rashad, This is Us Amy Adams, Sharp Objects

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I posted that on the last page five days ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The press will have the third and fourth episodes on Thursday afternoon and the fifth on Friday.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Norbert Leo Butz finally showed up in the third episode and Margaret Qualley finally showed up in the fourth, but neither did anything until the fifth, which probably had me more engaged than I had ever been watching the show because I did not get whiplash from all of the cutting across time and it was refreshing to have scenes in which neither Fosse nor Verdon were present. It became clear watching these additional episodes that Michelle Williams is outshining Sam Rockwell here. She is not magnetic like she was in All the Money in the World, but she is still doing that thing where she sounds like she is always about to cry. The third episode might be her tape. It turns out that Bob Fosse is just a low-rent Don Draper. This is just another riff on the depressed, womanizing genius, except Fosse is also a mumbler without charisma!

FX let us know that they are not going to be providing the last three episodes before the premiere, so more reviews should be imminent. You can tell that they rushed to get these three additional episodes to the press because it was a fun game of spotting the microphones and cameras for me, plus they used “On the Nature of Daylight” for a climactic moment and every so often, it would be some random voice saying one of Rockwell or Williams’s lines. I wonder if there will be a score when you watch it or a proper title sequence. Mine changed by the episode. They seem to have really brought it on-set with the crafts though, so they should be good for nominations there even if they miss series.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Judging by the mixed reviews talking about some highs and lows, I think I’m going to love it. I’ve been finding myself out of step with critics for a while, especially some television critics. I mean some of the stuff that gets good reviews and some of the ambitious stuff that gets middling reviews or ho-hum reviews confuse the heck out of me at times. I think I’m going to appreciate that this is pretty unapologetic about being about “theatre folks” that most probably don’t know and it’s attention to authenticity. The fact that it has two raves on Metacritic and two mixed reviews with those authors critiquing more substantive things regarding the type of story this is telling rather than less important stuff means this will probably something at least interesting to watch. I usually find movies/shows that have that sort of polarized reception to be more interesting than ones that have the approval (or disapproval) by consensus because that just reads “safe” to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t think much of the “mixed” reviews. It currently has a score of 75 on Metacritic, which is pretty decent. I wanted to compare it with previous nominees and what surprised me is that Fosse/Verdon has the same score not only with Godless, but with Emmy winners Big Little Lies and Versace.

I don’t see it missing a Series nomination. Decent score, aka, reviews not as mixed as we thought, coming from a network with good history in this category (Versace, O.J., Fargo, Feud), covering real people… that’s pretty much what we’ve been seeing every year in the Limited Series category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

By the way, here’s a featurette on the miniseries that was posted a couple days ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ltOGHeRk4

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder how this will compare to All That Jazz, Fosse’s own version of his life. That’s one of the great biopics of all time imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

In honor of Fosse/Verdon premiering tonight, let’s take a look back at one of the most iconic Broadway musicals Fosse ever created as well as its success at the Tony Awards.

And the Tony Almost Went to…PIPPIN

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Episode Title: “Life Is a Cabaret”

Synopsis: The series premiere of the singular romantic and creative partnership between choreographer/director Bob Fosse and dancer/actress Gwen Verdon.

Discuss.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll admit, I didn’t expect them to showcase Cabaret so early on, but I guess it’s a good showcase to highlight how well Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon worked as a team. The first 15 minutes dealing with Sweet Charity felt a little uneven, but once Fosse is hired to direct Cabaret, that’s where the real magic happens, especially with the rehearsal of the nightclub scenes. Overall, a solid first episode.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.