Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2018 TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

Golden Globes 2018 TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 410 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Guest2014
mariogomez
  • Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

OK. It still is like rubbing salt in an open wound. I’m just lashing out everywhere and I WILL calm down very soon. Not done venting yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

I had Kevin Bacon in from jump and changed him last night, so there’s that. These are fine for what they are. It was hard to gauge if any new shows would get in, but the ones that did made sense. Mrs. Maisel was a late in the game entry on an entity they love, so that makes sense for comedy. And The Handmaid’s Tale won the Emmy, so that made sense on the drama side. And mess.gov at Will & Grace! Of all the people nominated lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

OK. It still is like rubbing salt in an open wound. I’m just lashing out everywhere and I WILL calm down very soon. Not done venting yet.

YOU ARE NEVER DONE VENTING!

Watch the other shows, make an informed opinion. Stop being ignorant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

E! is the latest to say ‘What the FORK’?:

http://www.eonline.com/news/899375/golden-globes-2018-tv-nominations-snubs-surprises-katherine-langford-the-marvelous-mrs-maisel-kit-harington-more#photo-857100

“SNUB: KRISTEN BELL, TED DANSON, THE GOOD PLACE
    NBC’s afterlife comedy is one of the smartest shows on TV with Ted Danson and Kristen Bell turning in career-redefining performances. When will the Globes and Emmys start paying attention?”

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Second, Kristen Bell is trying way too hard and she still gets snubbed? I love this girl to death, but this is hilarious, we all know why. Is a SAG snub next?

Why, exactly? And a SAG snub just rocketed up the charts. You’ve seen the backlash from coast to coast today. I’m not alone in my outrage here.

This whole SMILF thing is also typical Globes. That you don’t know what it is says more about you than it does the Globes or the show. I don’t watch it, but I know what it is and that it got good reviews.

71% on Rotten T’s is fresh, barely. 63 on Metacritic. It says, “the Globes voters are assholas and Frankie Shaw has multiple photos of them in dubious positions”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Guest2014 wrote:
    Frankie Shaw: Who exactly IS she? An undistinguished guest acting career with stints on 2 Broke Girls, Good Girls Revolt and Mr. Robot; a couple TV movies (Hollyweed, Tough Cookie) and a multitude of short films. Nowhere near the resume of Bell. And nowhere near the acting chops. The What the Forking Fork? Nominee of the Day. It may be that SMILF only has 85 total viewers. The HFPA membership. Today, that was enough.

Some info on “SMILF” since you don’t know shit about shit:

Airs on Sundays after “Shameless” on Showtime
    10 PM ET; 30 min.
    Starring Frankie Shaw, Rosie O’Donnell, Connie Britton, Raven Goodwin
    Synopsis: A single, 20-something mom struggles to find a happy work-life balance.

I’ve seen some isolated episodes. There’s potential for growth here with solid reviews. Didn’t love the pilot, so this is not appointment television for me, but I have nothing against Frankie Shaw or “SMILF” for their moments in the Globes spotlight today.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Look here, Mr. S About S, that is an accurate description of Shaw’s pre-SMILF career. Name one thing I got wrong in that cliff’s notes description. It’s like the Globes took one step forward in ditching Mozart in the Jungle, which nobody outside the HFPA watched, but with SMILF takes 2 steps back.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

So let’s say that back in 2005, a very young Kristen Bell gets nominated for the first season of Veronica Mars. She had either the same or a lesser resume than Frankie Shaw.

Even if UPN had more ratings than Showtime (makes sense), the sentiment could be that “nobody” watched it and “nobody” knew who she was. I pretty much felt nobody saw that show except me back then.

Remember Paul, this is UPN, a network you would 100% make fun of for having the lowest of ratings.

Are we ok in saying Kristen Bell with her undistinguished guest stints and inexperience, wouldn’t have deserved that nomination? Remember that performance and quality don’t matter, since you’re token argument is ALWAYS “who” and “what” is this person/show.

If you still want to say it had better ratings and people did know it, “unlike Smilf”, wether she was placed in Comedy or Drama, according to your usual comments she wouldn’t have deserved a nomination (much less a win) considering who she was up against: legends, ladies with huge resumes, an Oscar winner, a Tony Winner, high rated shows and networks (and Polly Walker who at least had a better and longer resume than Bell).

And let’s be honest, this applies for seasons 2 and 3 too. I’m sure “nobody” watched those seasons either.

So Kristen Bell never really deserved any nominations or wins anywhere for Veronica Mars. Considering who she would’ve been up against, her inexperience and resume (which didn’t get better while the show was on), her obscure network (did it make it to the CW?), and her show that “nobody” watched. Right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Nobody cares about Veronica Mars or the good place , the Smilf show seems ok but its brand new and they nominated a new show like they do every year , not an old show that only has a core group of followers … If your going to be mad about a snub then one should be mad about the funniest two women on TV Tracee ellis Ross and Queen JDL getting snubs … the GGs are a joke

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually think there’s a strategy behind Will & Grace‘s snubs. I don’t think it’s winning series, but I could actually see McCormack winning and making both him and the show finally Golden Globe-winning. Now, I think they didn’t nominate the rest 3 because of the amount of GG noms they all 3 have, and they could see that they weren’t 100% on rewarding them just yet. What I mean is that Messing would have 10 GG noms if she got nominated and I believe they weren’t seeing rewarding her over Brosnahan, so they snubbed her instead. The same for the other 2, I think they wanted to go with Skarsgard and Idk who in Mullaly’s category, and they snubbed them so they find the right time to nominate them and give ’em awards, without just increasing their amount of noms from 6 to 7 and 4 to 5 for these last two in this case. It sounds weird, but I think it might be true.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

The HFPA is not terribly fond of Will & Grace, plain and simple. I’ll be truly shocked if McCormack wins.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Benito, at least you’re not suggesting with a straight face, Frankie Shaw has a better resume, acting-wise than Kristen Bell present-day? Frankie Shaw was a nobody before SMILF. Now she’s on Showtime’s version of Better Things. Which is pretty much all SMILF is from the show description.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Nobody cares about Veronica Mars or the good place , the Smilf show seems ok but its brand new and they nominated a new show like they do every year , not an old show that only has a core group of followers … If your going to be mad about a snub then one should be mad about the funniest two women on TV Tracee ellis Ross and Queen JDL getting snubs … the GGs are a joke

Then i guess all those Golden Globes snubs stories that specifically singled out The Good Place as taking it up the you know what from the HFPA as fake news??

Ross for Brie, Bell for Adlon. That way is a King Solomon’s solution, splitting the difference. Too much JLD love. At least Bergen did the classy thing and removed herself from Emmy contention back in the Murphy Brown day.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Just let it go, Guest2014.
    That’s why people keep on coming after you. You give people ammunition.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Benito, at least you’re not suggesting with a straight face, Frankie Shaw has a better resume, acting-wise than Kristen Bell present-day? Frankie Shaw was a nobody before SMILF. Now she’s on Showtime’s version of Better Things. Which is pretty much all SMILF is from the show description.

I never said anything about present day Kristen Bell. I clearly was talking about a 2005 (and 06, 07) situation where according to everything you usually say when nominations come around, Kristen Bell, in a similar (or worse) situation to Shaw, wouldn’t have deserved a nomination either. And honestly, she probably wouldn’t have deserved anything for House of Lies considering how “nobody” watched that very forgotten show either.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.