Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2018 TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

Golden Globes 2018 TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 410 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Guest2014
mariogomez
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

No Good Place anywhere, no cred.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly believe TWOL will go home with 2 GGs. I think they’re either going with De Niro & Pfeiffer or McGregor & Dern in the respective categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Kevin Bacon is such an obvious winner and I hate myself for not predicting it for a nomination. I have him at #1, I’d rather risk this time. I would argue that the other nominees don’t have something big behind them to pull them to victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

After last year’s snub I am predicting a lot of HBO wins. I think they will do a complete sweep of Limited Series categories with BLL, Law, Kidman, Skarsgard, and Dern as winners.

I have two winners for Amazon: Mrs. Maisel and Rachel Brosnahan.

Two winners for NBC: Sterling K. Brown and Eric McCormack

Two winners for Hulu: Handmaid’s Tale and Elisabeth Moss

But I feel like I should change some of it to include FX, Showtime, and Netflix. Somebody convince me pls…

ReplyCopy URL
    Turner Unruh
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope they vote Woodley who actually did something in BLL

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

After last year’s snub I am predicting a lot of HBO wins. I think they will do a complete sweep of Limited Series categories with BLL, Law, Kidman, Skarsgard, and Dern as winners.

I have two winners for Amazon: Mrs. Maisel and Rachel Brosnahan.

Two winners for NBC: Sterling K. Brown and Eric McCormack

Two winners for Hulu: Handmaid’s Tale and Elisabeth Moss

But I feel like I should change some of it to include FX, Showtime, and Netflix. Somebody convince me pls

Why pick Law when there’s De Niro? Well, I think McGregor is actually winning Limited Series actor, so there’s your FX (he’s a household name, underrated, 2 GG noms prior to this one, never had a big award, perfect chance) and I wouldn’t be surprised if Feud won limited series either, Showtime has like 3 nominations, you can’t have it all, the only thing that I could see is SMILF winning best comedy, but I don’t think it could happen, especially if they go with the pair-up they prefer and it’s going to be Maisel & Brosnahan. As of Netflix, the only lit thing that could happen is David Harbour winning Best TV SupActor; ST is already the next big thing, they haven’t awarded it compared to Game of Thrones e.g. that has 1 GG, and since BLL is going home with 2 GGs already, I think they might be like “ok, let’s give something someone else” but I don’t think that’s the way they think (e.g. The Night Manager sweep last year).
    Edit: Wouldn’t be surprised to see Jason Bateman win, as of Netflix.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Law fits the criteria of recent winners more imo.

A film star who had done TV for the first time and perfect opportunity to award him his first Globe (Thornton, Isaac, Hiddleston, Elba and Costner all won their first Globes -Costner’s first acting Globe- this category)

Sure it applies to McGregor also but I don’t think that has the passion around. And De Niro fits in the Douglas/Pacino category but unlike those two he didn’t win the Emmy for his role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

With my switch from Aziz Ansari to Kevin Bacon, I am concerned because I am now only predicting four networks (Amazon, HBO, Hulu, NBC).  This would be the first time in five years that they awarded so few and they have more networks to keep happy than ever now, so it should be trending the other way.  Is Fargo winning something?

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

With my switch from Aziz Ansari to Kevin Bacon, I am concerned because I am now only predicting four networks (Amazon, HBO, Hulu, NBC). This would be the first time in five years that they awarded so few and they have more networks to keep happy than ever now, so it should be trending the other way. Is Fargo winning something?

Joyce Eng made a strong argument for Ewan McGregor in Fargo in the slugfest. I’m predicting Jude Law but does he really have a shot?

I actually have Bateman upsetting. We’ve seen a surprising support for Ozark at a lot of places. There is obviously support for the show. I’d bet that either this is the only win for NBC or Netflix, because I also have Amazon dominating comedy. Netflix seems like a bigger priority.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globes 2018: Top 5 reasons I’m predicting Caitriona Balfe (‘Outlander’) will win Best TV Drama Actress

She is trying to create drama where there is none.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Comedy Series & Actress: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
    Good reviews, young actress, brand new, Amazon, done.

Drama Series & Actress: The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
    Not fresh like it was a few months ago, but they shut out Mindhunter, so all of the competition is older.  Moss is slightly shakier than the show itself, but moving on.

Drama Actor: Sterling K. Brown, This is Us (NBC)
    Just pulled up the predictions of a dozen people that I respect and they are pretty much all going with Freddie Highmore.  And yes, he is young.  But I cannot get over that his show is trash.  Because as much as we knock the Globes for starfucking, they do also care about quality.  They awarded Tom Hiddleston, but they also recognized the creative resurgence of The Good WifeThe Good Doctor has 53 on Metacritic.  In the drama actress category this decade, they subverted Viola Davis, Kerry Washington, Connie Britton, Callie Thorne and Piper Perabo for prestige vehicles.  The only time that they dipped into this well was for Taraji P. Henson and Empire was both a bigger phenomenon than any of these others and also inexplicably critically-acclaimed.  I am not sure that we should be paying any more attention to Highmore’s nomination than we did for Sarah Hay’s a couple of years ago for Flesh and Bone.  Beyond Highmore, the only other viable contenders are Jason Bateman and Sterling K. Brown.  One is in a series nominee.  The other’s lead actress was snubbed, despite being a past two-time winner.

Comedy Actor: Kevin Bacon, I Love Dick (Amazon)
    Not taking into account nominations in other categories, Bacon simply fits the bill of winners in this category, like David Duchovny, Matt LeBlanc, Don Cheadle, Jeffrey Tambor and Gael García Bernal.  He is a respected actor who has been around and is now headlining a cable/streaming dramedy, of which he is not necessarily even a lead.  And if you do not want to overthink it, that is all that there is to it.  It mirrors the outcome of last year’s drama actor race, which was similarly wide open and went to a past Globe Movie/Mini Actor winner headlining a new Amazon show that was snubbed in series.  The difference is that three of his competitors actually are in series nominees.  I previously had Aziz Ansari, but I do not like that his series was snubbed last time.  The last time that a series had a similar uptick in nominations in its second season was Orange is the New Black and that went nowhere.  It would be different if this were a black-ish/Outlander/Mozart in the Jungle situation where the Globes were just unaware of the show’s existence at first.  Then there is Eric McCormack.  On the one hand, the voters are definitely aware that they have never awarded the series.  But I ultimately feel that McCormack’s nomination here says a lot more about the competition than it does about the Globes’ love for the show, given how the rest of the cast was snubbed.  I am watching out for Anthony Anderson.  Tracee Ellis Ross being dropped might be indicative of flagging support or it might just be because she won last year.  It is almost surprising that black-ish came back in any category.  Anderson winning this year would follow recent Wright/Spacey and Wilson/Tierney combinations that unspooled over consecutive years.

Limited Series: Big Little Lies (HBO)
    Big Little Lies is the critical and commercial favourite, but there are only ninety voters, so you never know.  They went with Wolf Hall over Fargo two years ago, choosing British over acclaimed and they went with Fargo over True Detective the year before, choosing acclaim over commercial success.  The only one that can upset Big Little Lies is Feud because Fargo is not going to win again, The Sinner is not going to win and nobody knows how Top of the Lake was nominated.  Feud only got Alfred Molina in supporting, but Wolf Hall could not even get Claire Foy nominated.

Movie/Limited Actor: Jude Law, The Young Pope
    This seems pretty open, but I do not see Robert De Niro as much of a factor.  This is not SAG.  Recent movie/limited winners have been Tom Hiddleston, Oscar Isaac and Idris Elba, as well as Lady Gaga, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Elisabeth Moss.  The Wizard of Lies missed the movie category because nobody likes it and the Globes are not necessarily that fond of De Niro (lately) anyway, snubbing his Oscar-nominated performance in Silver Linings Playbook, as well as his comedic turn in The Intern.  Another one that we can cross off is Geoffrey Rush because of the sexual harassment.  It might be Kyle MacLachlan, but I feel like awarding him would be to recognize Twin Peaks, which they snubbed in series.  That logic is a bit difficult for me.  Jude Law is not as synonymous with the quality of his series.  He has an excellent performance in contention, is hot and has past Globe nominations on the film side.  Ewan McGregor checks the boxes on paper and is miraculously the only nominee from a series nominee, which you could say is end of discussion.  The performance is not really there though, which held him back at the Emmys.  It is significant though that Fargo still managed three Globe nominations, whereas it was dropped at SAG for example.  It is possible that Law is a non-factor.

Movie/Limited Actress: Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies (HBO)
    This seems like a sweeping performance, but Jessica Biel is intriguing.  Riley Keough should have been a threat to Sarah Paulson last year, but they snubbed The Girlfriend Experience for The Dresser.  They actually nominated The Sinner, which demonstrates that Biel is more of a threat.  She is definitely the apple in the barrel of oranges.  We do get the occasional Rami Malek or Morrison/Michele that misses while they pair up the series winner with supporting.  If only they had nominated Bill Pullman.

Supporting Actor: Alexander Skarsgård, Big Little Lies (HBO)
    How does he lose, right?  Hollywood family, stud factor, Emmy win.  I was doubting that this would win anything; is it really going to be a sweep performance?  I am wary of the FX guys because they obviously liked both Feud and Fargo and they gave FX four trophies last year.  They so rarely agree with the Emmys here too, nor are they particularly fond of rubber-stamping the Emmys in general or sweeps in general.  Hmm.

Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Big Little Lies (HBO)
    Big Little Lies is a mammoth, she won the Emmy and she has won three Globes already.  None of her competitors winning would spread the wealth to an additional network either.

Will have to think more about Kidman and Molina/Thewlis.  The People v. O.J. Simpson did not sweep at all last year after its Emmy haul.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globes 2018: Top 5 reasons I’m predicting Caitriona Balfe (‘Outlander’) will win Best TV Drama Actress

She is trying to create drama where there is none.

And we do this every. single. year. at the Globes. Then both Amanda and Rob (who I really like) always try to act like Outlander is in the conversation at the Emmys every year.

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Big Little Lies is either going to be a People vs OJ or an Angels in America. Hard to tell which but since it’s been ages since Angels we might as well get a parallel sweep of the Emmys and Globes. That would mean that THT would completely falter as they’re not going to go with two parallel sweeps. BLL is more of an Emmys and Globes show while THT is really only a Globes show (which makes it so much more fun that the Emmys beat them to the prize, hence making the Globes mad in my mind).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.