Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2019 Ceremony: TV Reactions Thread

Golden Globes 2019 Ceremony: TV Reactions Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 166 through 174 (of 174 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Ivo Stoyanov
Eden
  • ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Brosnahan beat the woman who tops her in every way, quality-wise. The last time a repeat Comedy Actress winner happened was around a decade ago. And HFPA is trying to scam us into believing Bell isn’t in Brosnahan’s league. An absolute pile of steaming horse-s.

Stop this nonsense. I like Bell but Brosnahan was the best in the category and the win was well deserved. And she has way more material than Bell.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Bell lost….it’s not like a life and death situation…it’s the GG Awards lol. Appreciate your super fan energy though

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Brosnahan beat the woman who tops her in every way, quality-wise.

Thank you for mentioning Debra Messing

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Kinda hated this lol. The only award I was truly happy with was The American’s winning. Adams losing to Arquette is a crime (I loved Arquette). Russell never winning anything for playing Elizabeth Jennings is unbelievable. And Criss winning was just…annoying lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

And Criss winning was just…annoying lol.

You are a minority here, darling.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is a little off topic, but I was thinking since the recent Michael Douglas’ win… is it just me or the couple Douglas/Zeta-Jones is the most relevant awarded “real life duo” in history? I mean:

– Oscar (Michael Douglas – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
    – Oscar (Michael Douglas – Wall Street)
    – Oscar (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – Tony (Catherine Zeta-Jones – A Little Night Music)
    – Emmy (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – Golden Globe (Cecil B. DeMille – Michael Douglas)
    – Golden Globe (Michael Douglas – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
    – Golden Globe (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – Golden Globe (Michael Douglas – The Kominsky Method)
    – BAFTA (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – SAG (Ensemble for Traffic)
    – SAG (Ensemble for Chicago)
    – SAG (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – SAG (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – CC (Ensemble for Chicago)
    – CC (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – CC (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – Drama Desk (Catherine Zeta-Jones – A Little Night Music)
    – Cesar (Michael Douglas – Honorary Cesar)

And I’m not counting all the Satellite Awards and some other minor awards.

Can you imagine that kind of showcase?? OMG

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Spark87.
    ReplyCopy URL
    José
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is a little off topic, but I was thinking since the recent Michael Douglas’ win… is it just me or the couple Douglas/Zeta-Jones is the most relevant awarded “real life duo” in history? I mean:

– Oscar (Michael Douglas – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
    – Oscar (Michael Douglas – Wall Street)
    – Oscar (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – Tony (Catherine Zeta-Jones – A Little Night Music)
    – Emmy (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – Golden Globe (Cecil B. DeMille – Michael Douglas)
    – Golden Globe (Michael Douglas – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
    – Golden Globe (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – Golden Globe (Michael Douglas – The Kominsky Method)
    – BAFTA (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – SAG (Ensemble for Chicago)
    – SAG (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – SAG (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – CC (Ensemble for Chicago)
    – CC (Catherine Zeta-Jones – Chicago)
    – CC (Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra)
    – Drama Desk (Catherine Zeta-Jones – A Little Night Music)
    – Cesar (Michael Douglas – Honorary Cesar)

And I’m not counting all the Satellite Awards and some other minor awards.

Can you imagine that kind of showcase?? OMG

You forgot to mention Michael’s Golden Globes for Romancing the Stone and Wall Street.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

1 week later, thinking about the wins, I’m actually joyfully surprised. These were some quality wins. They gave The Americans the win for drama series despite it being on its final season but it was the perfect farewell gift, since it was after all the best of its line-up. That way they were also neutral, and didn’t give any acting win, cause despite both Rhys and Russell being great, they were both deserving of winning together, but since Russell wasn’t winning, it felt quite fair for both of them to lose. And I can’t complain; Richard Madden is truly great in Bodyguard, and that was a quality choice as well. I still haven’t watched all of Killing Eve, but Oh definitely is deserving, though her hosting the show definitely locked it up. I’m surprised both genuinely and in a good way that they gave Brosnahan a 2nd win, and chose quality over whatever they usually do with picking different winners every year just to commercially boost them. Limited Series + Actor were predictable, and I personally enjoyed Arquette’s win. Whishaw also deserved it.

Of course an awards ceremony will always have its bad wins and for me those were Patricia Clarkson and The Kominsky Method for Series. Obviously they had to boost (aka “discover” first) a new show, as they do, and that would be Method. It’s fresh and stars Oscar winners. Barry got to know success at the Emmys, while Kidding isn’t that good of a show tbh, and as usual they want to pair a lead actor/actress win with a series win. I would have preferred a Maisel repeat in Series instead. Clarkson was #1 at GoldDerby too, but I just don’t think her performance was the best. It was a very subtle and material-less role and personally I wouldn’t have nominated her in the 1st place. Her win, I think, is a result of wanting to spread the wealth, ACS already had 2 GGs in the bag, so no need to reward Cruz, Strahovski didn’t have a series nom, Newton was a fake nom due to her Emmy win, and Borstein is a comedy nominee, something that never wins.

Overall, I found the winners decent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

1 week later, thinking about the wins, I’m actually joyfully surprised. These were some quality wins. They gave The Americans the win for drama series despite it being on its final season but it was the perfect farewell gift, since it was after all the best of its line-up. That way they were also neutral, and didn’t give any acting win, cause despite both Rhys and Russell being great, they were both deserving of winning together, but since Russell wasn’t winning, it felt quite fair for both of them to lose. And I can’t complain; Richard Madden is truly great in Bodyguard, and that was a quality choice as well. I still haven’t watched all of Killing Eve, but Oh definitely is dererving, though her hosting the show definitely locked it up. I’m surprised both genuinely and in a good way that they gave Brosnahan a 2nd win, and chose quality over whatever they usually do with picking different winners every year just to commercially boost them. Limited Series + Actor were predictable, and I personally enjoyed Arquette’s win. Whishaw also deserved it.

Of course an awards ceremony will always have its bad wins and for me those were Patricia Clarkson and The Kominsky Method for Series. Obviously they had to boost (aka “discover” first) a new show, as they do, and that would be Method. It’s fresh and stars Oscar winners. Barry got to know success at the Emmys, while Kidding isn’t that good of a show tbh, and as usual they want to pair a lead actor/actress win with a series win. I would have preferred a Maisel repeat in Series too. Clarkson was #1 at GoldDerby too, but I just don’t think her performance was the best. It was a very subtle and material-less role and personally I wouldn’t have nominated her in the 1st place. Her win, I think, is a result of wanting to spread the wealth, ACS already had 2 GGs in the bag, so no need to reward Cruz, Strahovski didn’t have a series nom, Newton was a fake nom due to her Emmy win, and Borstein is a comedy nominee, something that never wins.

Overall, I found the winners decent.

I couldn’t agree with you more. The Americans and Madden were the wins that had me most excited. The Kominsky Method is good, but awards should only be thrown at Douglas, who actually thought was great in it.

Bob Odenkirk for the win!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 166 through 174 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.