Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2021 TV Nominee Reactions

Golden Globes 2021 TV Nominee Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 303 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Sean C
    Topics:

However is it possible Small Axe spoils in Series?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2021-02-10/golden-globes-predictions-film-television

I mean, anything is possible. I wouldn’t bet on it, though.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Has anyone seen this?

a lot of the tv journalists I follow on Twitter are talking about this. I don’t know how shocking any of it is but it makes the HFPA and Globes look so shady and even more illegitimate lmao. Also, look at the details about Emily in Paris. I wonder if we’ll see any form of industry response/protest/backlash

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder if it’s going to affect the awards chances of some of the shows/films that win (i.e. will a win for The Queen’s Gambit hurt it when it comes into competition with I May Destroy You later, Hugh Grant with Ewan McGregor?)

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I hate how all of these anti-HFPA articles come across as the critics just being angry that they nominated stuff they didn’t like. I mean I think it’s stupid that Emily in Paris got nominated but at the end of the day just because the critics have decided something isn’t good shouldn’t mean it should be ignored if other people like it. For example, I thought the first season of The Politician was exceptional but it would never have got any recognition if not for the HFPA being separate to the critics. So for me personally, I was grateful to have a show like the Globes in that scenario.

And it’s especially frustrating because what journalists really should be going after the HFPA for is stuff like all the female TV nominees being white and, even more so, the inclusion of that ableist piece of shit Music on the film side. These things get mentioned of course but ultimately all take a back seat to the fact that they’re pissed that an awards show is choosing things that weren’t hot on metacritc.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

And the truth is that this is one of many open Hollywood secrets that people who know better are playing into the outrage from people who don’t know how the sausage is made for their clicks on their articles reacting to this and likes and RTs for their “witty/above it” tweets about it. It’s so boring, transparent, and late. I use to blame outsiders (for lack of a better word) for the hashtag outrage when award season comes along, but I don’t anymore bc at the end of the day, these things aren’t as important to people that aren’t in the industry. It’s the industry and people who cover the industry for a living that has to finally draw a line in the sand and determine whether these things matter. Is it about integrity and being about the work or do you want acknowledgment for said work. If it’s the latter (spoiler it always is!), then they either need to know what time it is and play the game accordingly or stand up and change the rules of the game so the process doesn’t seem as gross.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do understand the scepticism around a potential The Crown sweep (I myself am sceptical and am predicting it to lose supporting actress) because of this being its fourth season but I do have to ask how many shows have surged at the Globes in their third or fourth seasons without any Emmy success the previous year?

Whilst I’m not anticipating The Crown winning each category it’s nominated in here, I do feel that the fact it has gotten the most nominations of both film and television and that this season has done so well may be an indicative sign that the nominations were harder for it to achieve than wins. A bit like Schitt’s Creek.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Final Predictions (I guess?)

DRAMA SERIES
    Will Win: The Crown
    Could Win: The Mandalorian
    Should Win: The Crown

DRAMA ACTOR
    Will Win: Matthew Rhys, Perry Mason
    Could Win: Jason Bateman, Ozark
    Should Win: Josh O’Connor, The Crown

DRAMA ACTRESS
    Will Win: Emma Corrin, The Crown
    Could Win: Olivia Colman, The Crown
    Should Win: Emma Corrin, The Crown

COMEDY SERIES
    Will Win: Schitt’s Creek
    Could Win: Ted Lasso
    Should Win: Schitt’s Creek

COMEDY ACTOR
    Will Win: Jason Sudekis, Ted Lasso
    Could Win: Nicholas Hoult, The Great
    Should Win: Jason Sudekis, Ted Lasso

COMEDY ACTRESS
    Will Win: Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
    Could Win: Catherine O’Hara Schitt’s Creek
    Should Win: If we compare their eligible seasons, Cuoco should win. But O’Hara deserves to have won every possible award for her all-time great performance.

LIMITED SERIES
    Will Win: The Queen’s Gambit
    Could Win: Small Axe
    Should Win: I May Destroy You – oh wait.

LIMITED ACTOR
    Will Win: Hugh Grant, The Undoing
    Could Win: Mark Ruffalo, I Know This Much is True
    Should Win: Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird

LIMITED ACTRESS
    Will Win: Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit
    Could Win: Shira Haas, Unorthodox
    Should Win: Cate Blanchett, Mrs. America

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Will Win: Brendan Gleeson, The Comey Rule
    Could Win: Dan Levy, Schitt’s Creek
    Should Win: Jim Parsons, Hollywood

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Will Win: Julia Garner, Ozark
    Could Win: Annie Murphy, Schitt’s Creek
    Should Win: Annie Murphy, Schitt’s Creek

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Haha we have very similar should wins forwardswill (although I don’t really have a should win in Limited/Movie Actor).

The categories I am most on the fence about are S. Actor and Series. I can see the HFPA awarding Schitt’s Creek like Fleabag last year and just going for the breakout creator and the show but Ted Lasso is a very tempting prediction for me to make and I keep getting Ben Whishaw vibes off of John Boyega.

I strangely feel so confident about Murphy winning (which is ironic because she was the one I was the most sceptical of winning at the Emmys) that I am mulling putting my super bet on it.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I keep getting Ben Whishaw vibes off of John Boyega.

How are they similar? Just because they are both British?

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Should Win: Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird

Preach

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How are they similar? Just because they are both British?

Both are in buzzy and acclaimed Amazon/BBC limited series (that are nominated for the Series category at the Globes), deliver the most acclaimed performances on their shows even if they aren’t the most buzzed about or hyped aspects of them and both have film careers and are parts of beloved franchises (even if they’re not exactly that well known). They are both British as well but I don’t think that helped Whishaw or is why Boyega might win. I have a feeling he’ll win both CC and the Emmy too like Whishaw.

But the small Whishaw vibes is not the only reason I’m predicting Boyega over Levy (and I probably will keep that prediction even though I know it’s a risky one). There’s the quirky stat of each winner in this category since 2014 being from a Series nominee and each winner in this category since 2001 from a limited series/movie being from a series/movie nominee. Of course stats can be broken but it is an interesting one nonetheless. I also think that Small Axe is second in limited series so there’s that too. And I think the backlash over the snubs of black actors could play to his advantage. Here he is as one of only three people of colour nominated on the television side this year for acting and the only one nominated for being in a drama. It also helps that he is an outspoken supporter of Black Lives Matter and someone who attracted attention last summer for being an outspoken supporter of BLM so I think the HFPA might award him to give themselves a self congratulatory pat on the back after what’s happened over the past weeks with them.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Drama Series
    Will Win: The Crown
    Could Win: Ozark
    Should Win: The Mandalorian

Drama Actor
    Will Win: Josh O’Connor
    Could Win: Jason Bateman
    Should Win: Bob Odenkirk

Drama Actress
    Will Win: Emma Corrin
    Could Win: Olivia Colman
    Should Win: Laura Linney

Comedy Series
    Will Win: Schitt’s Creek
    Could Win: Ted Lasso
    Should Win: Ted Lasso

Comedy Actor
    Will Win: Jason Sudekis
    Could Win: Eugene Levy
    Should Win: Jason Sudekis

Comedy Actress
    Will Win: Catherine O’Hara
    Could Win: Kaley Cuoco
    Should Win: Catherine O’Hara

Limited Series
    Will Win: The Queen’s Gambit
    Could Win: Small Axe
    Should Win: The Queen’s Gambit

Limited Actor
    Will Win: Mark Ruffalo
    Could Win: Hugh Grant
    Should Win: Ethan Hawke

Limited Actress
    Will Win: Anya-Taylor Joy
    Could Win: Nicole Kidman
    Should Win: Anya-Taylor Joy

Supporting Actor
    Will Win: Dan Levy
    Could Win: Brenden Gleeson
    Should Win: I guess Dan Levy

Supporting Actress
    Will Win: Gillian Anderson
    Could Win: Annie Murphy
    Should Win: Annie Murphy

FYC Oscars: Soul (Best Picture, Original Screenplay, and Original Score), Regina King (Best Director), Delroy Lindo (Best Actor), Viola Davis (Best Actress), Leslie Odom Jr. (Best Supporting Actor)

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Judging by those predictions, particularly the Murphy should win over Anderson, it’s pretty evident you haven’t seen the crown or have bias against it.

Murphy was good in schitts creek and has the comedy Emmy to show for it now, but against Gillian’s exceptional portrayal of a historical figure in an acclaimed drama series means there’s not a chance she should be taking it home.

Not to mention, The Crown season 4 is clearly deserving of any drama award, that much is undeniable & the clear frontrunner spot is very well earned.

FYC OSCARS : THE FATHER IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP SUPP ACTRESS - OLIVIA COLMAN, ACTOR - ANTHONY HOPKINS), VANESSA KIRBY FOR PIECES OF A WOMAN

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Forwardswill and I are two of the biggest fans of The Crown on this site but like them (although probably not for the same reasons) I think Murphy should win. Anderson was phenomenal in The Crown (I won’t stop saying that even though that seems to be an unpopular opinion on this particular site) and I am rooting for her to win the Emmy and BAFTA but Alexis is an iconic character and Murphy’s performance is a tour de force.

So whilst I won’t mind Anderson winning (or really anyone in this category because they were all phenomenal) I am rooting for Murphy here.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Judging by those predictions, particularly the Murphy should win over Anderson, it’s pretty evident you haven’t seen the crown or have bias against it. Murphy was good in schitts creek and has the comedy Emmy to show for it now, but against Gillian’s exceptional portrayal of a historical figure in an acclaimed drama series means there’s not a chance she should be taking it home. Not to mention, The Crown season 4 is clearly deserving of any drama award, that much is undeniable & the clear frontrunner spot is very well earned.

Can people not have opinions?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 303 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2021 TV Nominee Reactions’ is closed to new replies.