Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Last year there were less big contenders for limited series. Unbelievable was the only acclaimed and buzzed fall contender. This year we have I May Destroy You, The Good Lord Bird and The Queen’s Gambit. Your Honor and Small Axe might join to the list too. Fargo is a legacy show and The Haunting of Bly Manor has an impressing popularity. You see The Undoing has many opponents.

I’m sorry if The Undoing gets snubbed in Series it’s not going to be for Fargo (which has lost buzz and critical acclaim already) or The Haunting of Bly Manor (a horror show that was snubbed on it’s first outing by the HFPA and delivered a season that was met with more lukewarm reviews).

It just seems weird to nominate another show about white rich people or only shows about white people and their problems but snub a show that centers on black women and queer voices who are sexual assault survivors and another one with a predominantly black cast that focuses on the abolitionist movement that sparked the Civil War. It’s just how I see things because of everything that has been happening this year but yeah, I could also be dead wrong in thinking context could have such a big impact.

I can understand that and it’s why I think I May Destroy You is getting into Series as well (not sure about The Good Lord Bird yet but I’m sure Hawke is winning).

But also I have to say this is the HFPA. They nominated The Loudest Voice over When They See Us last year. They nominated The Morning Show over Pose. On the film side they awarded controversial films such as Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book.

I just don’t know whether they will snub a show as star baity as this from a big network who is spending a tonne of its resources campaigning for it in Series. Sure the reviews are mixed for the show but it’s not like the HFPA care about critical reception.

At the very least Grant and Kidman are in imo and I think (you can feel free to disagree with me) that the series is as well.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can understand it, but the comparison between The Undoing and The Morning Show is, imo, quite flawed

I understand what you mean but I’m intrigued as to why you think a comparison between The Undoing and The Morning Show is flawed but that a comparison you often make between Ratched and The Morning Show isn’t flawed.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

The Good Lord Bird screams Hawke nom only for me.

The HFPA likes Showtime too much (they nominated the Loudest Voice last year). Both are timlier, but The Good Lord Bird is actually better received and buzzier. There is no rhyme or reason to the Globe TV noms so nothing can be called a lock, but I actually think The Good Lord Bird is probably the most nomination-safe show there is.

Profile picture
    mariogomez
    Topics:

I can understand that and it’s why I think I May Destroy You is getting into Series as well (not sure about The Good Lord Bird yet but I’m sure Hawke is winning).

But also I have to say this is the HFPA. They nominated The Loudest Voice over When They See Us last year. They nominated The Morning Show over Pose. On the film side they awarded controversial films such as Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book.

I just don’t know whether they will snub a show as star baity as this from a big network who is spending a tonne of its resources campaigning for it in Series. Sure the reviews are mixed for the show but it’s not like the HFPA care about critical reception.

At the very least Grant and Kidman are in imo and I think (you can feel free to disagree with me) that the series is as well.

Is the same HFPA that nominated Kevin Bacon for I Love Dick. They nominated Kidman and Whiterspoon over Zendaya and King last year. They care first for their favorites and then the others.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think this is Anya Taylor-Joy’s to lose. She’s receiving more raves than any other person individually for their performance in that category and her programme is one of the only shows that seems to have raves for its ensemble cast, its lead performer, its writing and its direction. Plus she has both prestige and mainstream appeal. In terms of prestige appeal she just headlined the critically acclaimed and widely seen Emma and she has a Gotham award and a BAFTA nomination under her belt for her film work. In terms of mainstream appeal she has appeared in the Split/Glass films with James McAvoy and in terms of industry attention she will also be in Edgar Wright’s Last Night in SoHo with Thomasin McKenzie, Matt Smith and Diana Rigg in April and she will be in Robert Eggers’ The Northman with Alexander Skarsgard, Nicole Kidman, Willem Dafoe, Bjork and Ethan Hawke. If The Queen’s Gambit ends up being an audience hit then it’s a no-brainer for me to predict her because let’s face it it’s probably going to be Netflix’s main post Emmys series push this year like Unbelievable and Maniac were and unlike the former what helps Taylor-Joy is that she’s not up against the incumbent Emmy winner.

I know it sounds like I’m a broken record on The Undoing but I have to say if you’re not predicting the show in Series you should at the very least be predicting Grant and Kidman.

I’m not rooting for this show (not when I May Destroy You is right there lmao) but Nicole Kidman is practically the Meryl Streep of the HFPA. The longest periods of time in which she didn’t receive a single nomination were during the 1993 to 1995 Golden Globes (a period of time in which her most high profile projects were Days of Thunder and Batman Forever and the 2014 to 2016 Golden Globes (when she had severe critical duds like Grace of Monaco and Before I Go to Sleep as well as box office flops such as Queen of the Desert). The Undoing despite it’s mixed reviews is not a “severe critical dud” (the closest things to that this year are Ratched and Hollywood) and I would be very surprised to see it flop with audience viewership. The Prom is going to do well at the Globes regardless of reception (unless it gets a Cats score which I’d find unlikely of really anything on the bubble on the TV and Film sides this year) so you should either really be predicting her for either at least one of The Prom and The Undoing. After all since her career resurgence with Lion she has been nominated every year since and got in for a crime film that was a box office flop (Destroyer).

Hugh Grant in his “career renaissance” has only missed for Paddington 2 and was even nominated 3 times before by the HFPA for his “charming RomCom leading guy” roles so I don’t see how he misses when reviews are saying this is his career best performance.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Hugh Grant in his “career renaissance” has only missed for Paddington 2 and was even nominated 3 times before by the HFPA for his “charming RomCom leading guy” roles so I don’t see how he misses when reviews are saying this is his career best performance.

And that Paddington 2 snub is easy explainable since it was both

I) A whole ass year after it’s US release (Jan 2018) and his BAFTA nomination.
    II) Was competing in the catch all supporting categories, where the HFPA film nominees 99% of the time are about trying to predict the Oscars.

Said this a thousand year during that season but if WB had just frauded him into C/M lead, it would’ve been a hella easy nomination since he’s a huge star in critically acclaimed (and BAFTA nominated the year prior) for them/him, especially since their main horse (Cooper/ASIB) was in drama.

Bale & Viggo were the eventual Oscar nominees but after that the category was pretty much empty and Grant absolutely could have (and let’s be real, should have) been nominated over the following.

• Robert Record’s last role (Old Man & The Gun) before retirement which absolutely came and went without any fanfare. Should’ve been his Phantom Thread, ended up being his The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
    • Lin-Manuel Miranda (Mary Poppins Returns) frauds himself into lead for a supporting. (See how easy it is, WB.)
    • John C. Reilly (Stan & Ollie) for a pretty standard Oscar-bait that was a no1curr even for the studio (outside of Makeup).
    • Nick Robinson (Love, Simon) was predicted in 5th in the GD odds over Reilly in 6th, which considering he was/is a virtual unknown in March teen rom-com, shouldn’t have been the possibility that it was.
    • Everyone else in contention was really an non-starter (Reynolds), in a flop (Carell), was too indie (Stanfield) or just wasn’t even considered at all (Golding).
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I understand what you mean but I’m intrigued as to why you think a comparison between The Undoing and The Morning Show is flawed but that a comparison you often make between Ratched and The Morning Show isn’t flawed.

I compare both shows because I think they will have a similar trajectory, which is being crowd pleasers well liked by actors and no one else. Regarding the GG, the HFPA loves Ryan Murphy and Ratched was one of the biggest hit of the year (the fact it surpassed Lucifer is huge, but some people here still pretend no one liked the show when it’s clearly not true) that’s why I see it doing well.

It’s goin to have, imo, a nice showing at GG, potentially SAG, acting nominations at Emmys and nothing else, which makes it similar to TMS to me in that sense.

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

I’m not rooting for this show (not when I May Destroy You is right there lmao) but Nicole Kidman is practically the Meryl Streep of the HFPA. The longest periods of time in which she didn’t receive a single nomination were during the 1993 to 1995 Golden Globes (a period of time in which her most high profile projects were Days of Thunder and Batman Forever and the 2014 to 2016 Golden Globes (when she had severe critical duds like Grace of Monaco and Before I Go to Sleep as well as box office flops such as Queen of the Desert).

Lol, obviously she has had longer gaps without nominations, mainly from 1995 to 2001 and from 2005 to 2011. It is clear that she is a favorite there, but no need to spread false stats. The Meryl Streep of the HFPA is… Meryl Streep, whose longer period without nominations has been 3 years since 1978.

I agree she is likely to be nominated there, given that they like her and that her show will be recent, but she is not a lock in that category

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Obviously never rule anything out with the HFPA and I think a few of these are locked for noms but the only shows I see having a chance at getting into Series are (those I’m predicting are in bold) :

– The Good Lord Bird
    – Hollywood
    – I May Destroy You
    – Little Fires Everywhere
    – Mrs. America
    – Normal People
    – The Queen’s Gambit
    – The Undoing
    – Unorthodox
    – Wandavision
    Your Honour

I know The Comey Rule could pull a The Loudest Voice but the HFPA have two Showtime shows to chose from (one of which is more acclaimed and starrier and the other stars an industry darling in their first major TV role after a bit of a break) and even though these aren’t the Critics Choice awards and they don’t go by what has critical acclaim I just feel like if Trump wins the election it’s going to be a bit too gloomy of a choice the HFPA may want to make and if Trump loses then it might just end up being forgotten.

I feel like Bad EducationDirty John, FargoBly Manor and Stateless are non-starters (in Series). They could happen but I would be very surprised to see them in Series. I guess theoretically Devs, The Eddy, Self Made, The Plot Against America and I Know This Much is True and even Defending Jacob could pull a Catch-22 but the field seems more competitive this year than it was last year and with Jacob in particular it seems like it will be forgotten. If they are going for a show that is a murder mystery thriller I feel like it’s going to be one that stars and is produced by HFPA faves that is on one of the biggest networks awards wise rather than a show that missed at the Emmys that aired back in May on AppleTV+. A Teacher could still happen but I’m starting to come round to Tyler’s idea that it will be too small. Same with Small Axe.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Since we’re on this topic, here are my updated predictions as well.

Best Television Series – Drama
    The Boys (Amazon)
    The Crown (Netflix)
    Ozark (Netflix)
    Perry Mason (HBO)
    Ratched (Netflix)

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
    The Great (Hulu)
    Ramy (Hulu)
    Schitt’s Creek (PopTV)
    Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
    What We Do In The Shadows (FX)

Best Actor in a Television Series – Drama
    Jason Bateman (Ozark)
    Johnathan Majors (Lovecraft Country)
    Tobias Menzies (The Crown)
    Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul)
    Matthew Rhys (Perry Mason)

Best Actress in a Television Series – Drama
    Olivia Coleman (The Crown)
    Jodie Comer (Killing Eve)
    Laura Linney (Ozark)
    Sarah Paulson (Ratched)
    Jurnee Smollett (Lovecraft Country)

Best Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy
    Matt Berry (What We Do In The Shadows)
    Eugene Levy (Schitt’s Creek)
    Ben Platt (The Politician)
    Jason Sudekis (Ted Lasso)
    Ramy Youssef (Ramy)

Best Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy
    Christina Applegate (Dead to Me)
    Elle Fanning (The Great)
    Jane Levy (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist)
    Catherine O’Hara (Schitt’s Creek)
    Issa Rae (Insecure)

Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film
    Hugh Grant (The Undoing)
    Ethan Hawke (The Good Lord Bird)
    Hugh Jackman (Bad Education)
    Paul Mescal (Normal People)
    Mark Ruffalo (I Know This Much Is True)

Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film
    Cate Blanchett (Mrs. America)
    Michaela Coel (I May Destroy)
    Shira Haas (Unorthodox)
    Nicole Kidman (The Undoing)
    Anna Taylor-Joy (The Queen’s Gambit)

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries, or Television Film
    Nicholas Hoult (The Great)
    Dan Levy (Schitt’s Creek)
    Josh O’Connor (The Crown)
    Jim Parsons (Hollywood)
    Anthony Starr (The Boys)

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries, or Television Film
    Uzo Aduba (Mrs. America)
    Gillian Anderson (The Crown)
    Emma Corrin (The Crown)
    Julia Garner (Ozark)
    Annie Murphy (Schitt’s Creek)

Best Miniseries or Television Film
    The Good Lord Bird (Showtime)
    Hollywood (Netflix)
    I May Destroy You (HBO)
    Mrs. America (FX)
    The Undoing (HBO)

FYC Oscars: David Fincher (Best Director), Gary Oldman (Best Actor), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Best Actor and Actress), Mark Rylance (Best Supporting Actor), Soul (Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Golden Globes (TV): Ted Lasso (Best Comedy Series), Jason Sudekis (Best Actor in a Comedy Series), Hannah Waddingham (Best Supporting Actress), The Boys (Best Drama Series), Anthony Starr (Best Actor in a Drama Series)

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

Has anyone started The Queens Gambit which airs today? If so, how are you liking it and what do you think of its chances at the Globes?

FYC:

Best Actress: Viola Davis (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
    Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
    Best Supporting Actress: Ellen Burstyn (Pieces of a Woman)
    Best Supporting Actor: Leslie Odom Jr. (One Night in Miami)

Profile picture
    mariogomez
    Topics:

Seen two episodes and such a great show! For sure is an awards baity one.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Watched five episodes and I can say it’s a lock for series and limited actress. The show is simply amazing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not like it matters or anything but I put it on BBC News and one of the headlines in their television bulletins is literally “Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman talk about their new HBO show The Undoing“.

Now obviously that doesn’t mean that it automatically will be an awards player but I’ve never seen any high profile potential awards player show reported on here from HBO and Netflix in the headlines bulletin of the national British news broadcaster that isn’t GoT or The CrownThe Morning Show got a big push in the UK when it was released and Reese and Jen were doing morning talk shows but not to the extent that their show was one of the headlines for simply coming on air.

I think this really shows how much campaigning HBO is doing for the show and how much hype there is for it and two of the biggest actors on the planet being in a show together. Regardless of its awards chances.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.