Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I think considering how relatively badly two other big new contenders like Fargo and The Undoing fared with critics, seeing The Queen’s Gambit’s good reception is refereshing I guess but it’s not that acclaimed to make it undeniable or anything.

It isn’t anywhere near as acclaimed as any of the shows mentioned by hopelessstar, whether you go by metascore or the RT avg rating. I also doubt it will be big in the critic’s year end lists and I’m quite certain all the eligible shows mentioned will outdo it in that department.

Its reviews are good enough to make it a viable candidate but they aren’t strong enough to center the conversation around it or make it a talking point, like with some other shows for example.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

This conversation reminded me when so many people were convinced Unorthodox and Normal People were non-starters at Emmys. TV critics twitter is flooding with TQG praise tweets.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With The Undoing what seems to be interesting is how it is getting great reviews from foreign publications but it is getting a more lukewarm reception from American critics. Even then with American critics it seems to be improving in terms of reception as it’s just gone from 66% to 73% on Rotten Tomatoes in terms of critics score. This is the HFPA so I think even if it’s a non-factor in wins (which I think it will be although I can see one of Grant and Sutherland do a Patricia Clarkson) it’s safe for the three noms (Series, Actor, Actress).

With regards to The Queen’s Gambit I don’t think we can hold its Metacritic score against it. After all it only has 24 reviews on there (although funnily enough the British critics who raved about The Undoing responded to this with a mixed reception whilst the American responded to this with raves). Just like Unbelievable it’s a show that seems to be rising on Netflix due to word of mouth and critics buzz (its 100% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes and its 98% audience score should not be ignored) and it really has a lot of things in its favour.

Firstly some members of the HFPA have given a lot of praise to Anya Taylor-Joy for her performance on Twitter (the only person who comes close is Daisy Edgar-Jones). Now praise might not mean that much but what helps Taylor-Joy a lot is that 2020 being horrible it is HER year. At the beginning of the year she starred as the lead in Emma and both her performance and the film was met with critical acclaim. That film has also been something that has grown in terms of audience popularity gradually and she could potentially get double nominated for both performances by the HFPA (although I’m not predicting she gets nominated for Emma).

Then you have the fact that the HFPA passed over Godless which went on to do very well at the Emmys and win two big awards. They may want to jump on the Scott Frank Netflix miniseries train as soon as they can. Then you have the fact that it is becoming the talking point right now with audiences. It’s the 54th most acclaimed show on IMDB EVER with users. Just yesterday it started trending on Twitter and started moving up the Netflix UK trending list. Unlike something like The Trial of the Chicago 7 it is sustaining a tonne of buzz because it hasn’t been fully seen by critics and audiences yet. Then you also have the fact that this field is wide open because of Watchmen. When the HFPA find an acclaimed player’s awards run to jump on board of they often do so in order to boost that shows awards chances. Of course they can coronate Mrs. AmericaUnorthodoxNormal People etc but this isn’t a Killing Eve vs The American situation.

Now I disagree with the user who said it’s more acclaimed than Unbelievable but I don’t think we can really say what the show’s chances with critics will be like just yet. It’s a project that has come in and surprised people (just like Unorthodox). What I do think we can say though is regardless of whether it gets nominated or not that Unorthodox is in a vulnerable position because I think an early air date, potential overshadowing in buzz and Netflix campaigning for TQG will hurt it.

Its reviews are good enough to make it a viable candidate but they aren’t strong enough to center the conversation around it or make it a talking point, like with some other shows for example.

This is true but then again do the reviews of critics matter? In this thread we’ve seen people say we’re underestimating Ratched and Hollywood (both shows which have been panned) but saying to call The Undoing likely to get nominated an overestimation (even though its reviews are actually just ok). Whilst IMDY has a tonne of critical acclaim it doesn’t mean it automatically will win everything. After all it’s not even the most acclaimed Limited Series of the year.

Anyway what I do think we can agree on is the fact that out of all the post Emmy eligibility shows it has the best chance of winning the Globes (let’s not forget the Globes don’t often reward shows that have lost the Emmy the Globe even though they’ve been doing it more recently with e.g. The Americans) because it’s one of the buzziest shows to air this Autumn in terms of Limited Series (that and The Undoing) and is one of the most acclaimed (along with The Good Lord Bird).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hopelesstar said this before and I didn’t believe them but I really am wondering if we’re over-estimating The Good Lord Bird here. I have Hawke winning because he seems to be delivering his career best performance (I haven’t seen the show) from what I’ve heard but I don’t see much buzz for it outside his performance. And then its ratings and the amount of reviews it has on IMDB after 4 episodes are atrocious. Its ratings are getting worse and worse (sans catch up/streaming) and unlike I May Destroy You I don’t see people in the industry talking about it online or Hawke doing lots of promo for it.

Of course it has the raves to get in but the Globes don’t vote based on critical reception (otherwise Years and Years and When They See Us would have gotten in over <i>The Loudest Voice</i>) and yes its Showtime but they could easily opt for the more high profile show (Your Honour) if it gets raves in Series. Not dismissing it but I feel like we’re overestimating a Series nom.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

This conversation reminded me when so many people were convinced Unorthodox and Normal People were non-starters at Emmys. TV critics twitter is flooding with TQG praise tweets.

I’m not dismissing TQG and ATJ chances at all, I’m just poiting out there might be some overreactions regarding how much critically acclaimed it is. Also I’m not sure Normal People is the type of example you want to use considering it ultimately won 0 emmys and wasn’t even nominated in Series. Paul Mescal’s nomination was widely predicted so no one was underestimating him, however  NP doubters were right in saying the passion wasn’t big enough to get him the win, as it wasn’t enough to get Series nom.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Paul Mescal’s nomination was widely predicted so no one was underestimating him,

I don’t think you’re dismissing Taylor-Joy’s chances but to say Mescal’s nomination was widely predicted is false when people kept going on about how Mescal and Haas would get snubbed.

Anyway I don’t think they’re comparable as The Queen’s Gambit is a completely different show tonally, in terms of cast recognition and in terms of budget and profile from Normal People and Unorthodox.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

That’s not true. Unbelievable has a higher metascore and so do Unorthodox, Normal People, I May Destroy You or even Mrs America. I’m not denying TQG winning chances but some of you are starting to over do it.

? TQG has a 100% on RT. It is at least on par with Unbelievable in terms of critical reception, even with a 79 v 83 on Metacritic… And I was specifically comparing it to Unbelievable and no other show because of the release date. Many said Unbelievable would be the frontrunner when it first came out but that didn’t pan out, and many are saying the same about TQG. My comment was supposed to reflect my thoughts on why TQG won’t fizzle out like Unbelievable.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

This is true but then again do the reviews of critics matter? In this thread we’ve seen people say we’re underestimating Ratched and Hollywood (both shows which have been panned) but saying to call The Undoing likely to get nominated an overestimation (even though its reviews are actually just ok). Whilst IMDY has a tonne of critical acclaim it doesn’t mean it automatically will win everything. After all it’s not even the most acclaimed Limited Series of the year.

Even though that wasn’t my point, I’d say they do matter to an extent yes. Why do you think The Undoing isn’t regarded as strong of a contender as we thought earlier, or why Hollywood missed series in the end at the Emmys? Wouldn’t Ratched be much safer for a series nom at the Globes and the Emmys with better reviews? Much of IMDY’s buzz was initially driven by its acclaim as well.

Critical reception does directly and indirectly drive the conversation and buzz many times and is considered when predicting things. Even if it is one of many factors, in the long run, it does matter somewhat.

My initial point was that TQG’s reviews aren’t to the level to center that buzz or conversation around. Didn’t mean it didn’t matter or was irrelevant.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I don’t think you’re dismissing Taylor-Joy’s chances but to say Mescal’s nomination was widely predicted is false when people kept going on about how Mescal and Haas would get snubbed. Anyway I don’t think they’re comparable as The Queen’s Gambit is a completely different show tonally, in terms of cast recognition and in terms of budget and profile from Normal People and Unorthodox.

Paul Mescal was 6 in the combined odds, that’s why I consider he was widely predicted.

? TQG has a 100% on RT. It is at least on par with Unbelievable in terms of critical reception, even with a 79 v 83 on Metacritic… And I was specifically comparing it to Unbelievable and no other show because of the release date.

On RT Unbelievable has an average ratings of 8.6/10, while the average for TQG is 7.77/10. The % don’t show the full picture…

In other news the DailyMail says Hollywood s2 is currently being shot. Wouldn’t be the first time netflix starts shooting a show without officially announcing it https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8883337/Laura-Harrier-takes-break-filming-Hollywoods-second-season.html

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I think its clear what Couverture and others are arguing, that The Queens Gambit has buzz and acclaim, but this buzz and acclaim is not enough to call it THE SERIES of the fall. I don’t think there is one this year (yet) , whereas last year I think you could say Succession was the clearly the cultural center point of the Fall, matched only by Watchmen maybe.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

In other news the DailyMail says Hollywood s2 is currently being shot. Wouldn’t be the first time netflix starts shooting a show without officially announcing it https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8883337/Laura-Harrier-takes-break-filming-Hollywoods-second-season.html

WHAT?!?!?

wolfali, don’t trust users reviews/scores when talking about The Good Lord Bird. The people giving low scores to the show are racists. The same happened with Watchmen.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Any hope of this series becoming decent is crushed by Laura Harrier’s continued involvement.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Another tragedy in 2020…

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

I didn’t know we’re taking IMDB scores seriously now.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.