Home Forums Television Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I didn’t know we’re taking IMDB scores seriously now.

I posted them for fun (just because for something like The Undoing and The Queen’s Gambit I thought it would be interesting to see how they’re performing with audiences) but I agree they shouldn’t be taken seriously.

With The Good Lord Bird though are racists the only ones reviewing the show on IMDB because <i>The Undoing </i>after one episode almost has the same amount of reviews as The Good Lord Bird after 4?  That’s my main fear that outside of critics it isn’t being watched widely enough and that the people reviewing the show on IMDB are just trolls (I mean I May Destroy You has more reviews than The Good <i>Lord Bird </i>and surprisingly enough hasn’t been discovered by trolls).

Of course IMDB users don’t vote for the Emmys etc but we just saw this year how Mrs. America wasn’t widely watched enough despite its critics over-performance (Program of the Year nod!) and ultimately under-performed with TV Academy voters.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think there is one this year (yet) , whereas last year I think you could say Succession was the clearly the cultural center point of the Fall, matched only by Watchmen maybe.

The question is what is the closest to being the cultural centre point if it’s not The Queen’s Gambit (which could very easily become that show because like I said it’s buzz is still growing and it hasn’t really peaked yet)? I mean I guess The Crown is a possibility although I won’t get my hopes up until I see how it performs with audiences and I guess <i>The Undoing </i>and Your Honour could theoretically end up like that but even though the former has had a lot of buzz after its first episode was released and has quite high viewership (initial viewership of 1.4 million according to THR) it has a lukewarm reception (74% on Rotten Tomatoes in terms of critics score) and the latter even if its acclaimed is on Showtime.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

The question is what is the closest to being the cultural centre point if it’s not The Queen’s Gambit (which could very easily become that show because like I said it’s buzz is still growing and it hasn’t really peaked yet)? I mean I guess The Crown is a possibility although I won’t get my hopes up until I see how it performs with audiences and I guess <i>The Undoing </i>and Your Honour could theoretically end up like that but even though the former has had a lot of buzz after its first episode was released and has quite high viewership (initial viewership of 1.4 million according to THR) it has a lukewarm reception (74% on Rotten Tomatoes in terms of critics score) and the latter even if its acclaimed is on Showtime.

I’m surprised by the I May Destroy You score as well considering that IMDB is a cesspit of racism, misogyny and intolerance. That’s why they closed those message boards.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

The question is what is the closest to being the cultural centre point if it’s not The Queen’s Gambi

like I said, there isn’t one, hence why people are predicting spring-airing series to potentially do well at the winter awards.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

like I said, there isn’t one, hence why people are predicting spring-airing series to potentially do well at the winter awards.

Just out of interest what do you see as being the frontrunner here in Limited Series and Limited/Movie Actress? Would love to get your insight.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Taylor Joy is looking good for actress, but Haas and Blanchett are waiting in the wings. Wish it were Coel but don’t think the Globes are cool enough. I think Unorthodox is a weak frontrunner right now, and the Good Lord Bird or the Queens Gambit are in a good position. (Point being, I don’t think the queens gambit winning actress and/or series is a bad prediction, I’m just saying this isn’t an open and shut race).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Unorthodox is a weak frontrunner right now, and the Good Lord Bird or the Queens Gambit are in a good position. (Point being, I don’t think the queens gambit winning actress and/or series is a bad prediction, I’m just saying this isn’t an open and shut race).

Oh yes I agree. I just want to clarify that I was simply joking when I said the race was over because of the content of the Time article on The Queen’s Gambit.

I think (and I’ve said this quite a lot on here so apologies if I sound like I’m a broken record) that even though Unorthodox is in the frontrunner position right now and that it did well at the Emmys it doesn’t mean it’s locked for nominations here at all. Especially now The Queen’s Gambit is gathering steam as the next high profile acclaimed Netflix limited series. We saw how Patrick Melrose missed Series after Escape at Dannemora started gathering steam and how When They See Us got shut out when Unbelievable arrived. What hurts Unorthodox even more (and I just want to clarify here that Haas gave one of my favourite performances of the year) is that it will have aired 11 months before the Globes ceremony.

Not ruling Haas out of winning or the show but it’s not safe for the nomination.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Both, Haas and Taylor-Joy, deserves a nod, both shows are unique and they did a hell of an act with the script.

If it were for what I would like to see we would have Blanchett, Haas, Coel, Taylor-Joy and Daisy-Jones, but it isn’t what we want.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

And curiously, shows with focus on a female lead are doing way better at this year’s globes as ‘The Good Lord Bird” seems to be the only good material focused on a male lead.

The Comey Rule was a disaster and Normal People is a male-female thing.

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about the Drama categories but is really excited for the Limited Series ones? Unorthodox, The Queen’s Gambit, I May Destroy You, The Good Lord Bird are all incredible shows and one of them winning would make me so happy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just googled and Fargo season 4 has had its lowest viewership to date on its latest episode?

Buckley deserves a nomination but this season seems to be such a non-event that I wouldn’t be surprised if it got shut out everywhere major outside of CC and a few technicals at the Emmys.

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about the Drama categories but is really excited for the Limited Series ones? Unorthodox, The Queen’s Gambit, I May Destroy You, The Good Lord Bird are all incredible shows and one of them winning would make me really happy.

Same. I think it’s because Drama literally just seems to be The Crown vs everyone else here which kind of seems a bit dull. On the other hand we have no idea what’s in front in Limited Series. Imagine if The Undoing wins despite the reviews lmao (I doubt it wins any Golden Globes though, SAG maybe).

Haven’t seen The Good Lord Bird but I hope to check it out soon-ish. I agree the other three are phenomenal.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about the Drama categories but is really excited for the Limited Series ones? Unorthodox, The Queen’s Gambit, I May Destroy You, The Good Lord Bird are all incredible shows and one of them winning would make me so happy.

I can’t think of anyone who is excited for the Drama categories. Especially when a piece of garbage like Ratched is one of the biggest frontrunners.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trial of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Golden Globes (TV): Ted Lasso (Best Comedy Series), Jason Sudekis (Best Actor in a Comedy Series), Hannah Waddingham (Best Supporting Actress), The Boys (Best Drama Series), Anthony Starr (Best Actor in a Drama Series)

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Wish it were Coel but don’t think the Globes are cool enough.

I’m very curious how industry will respond to Coel. I know they are two very different shows but I May Destroy You deserves the same awards trajectory as Fleabag had. If I May Destroy You is snubbed everywhere except BAFTA then…

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

The way IMDY is gonna sweep the awards and everyone here will be in shook.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    insomniac0987
    Topics:

I’m very curious how industry will respond to Coel. I know they are two very different shows but I May Destroy You deserves the same awards trajectory as Fleabag had. If I May Destroy You is snubbed everywhere except BAFTA then…

Race would definitely play a part in that happening, but in terms of tone, structure, and (especially) subject matter, I May Destroy You is a much more challenging show (and much tougher watch) than Fleabag. Emmy voters made clear they spent the pandemic bingeing on escapist shows (Schitt’s Creek is very light and fluffy, Succession has a lot of humor, Watchmen has heavy subject matter wrapped in a superhero/comic book show) and while there are a lot of positive descriptors that apply to I May Destroy You, escapist isn’t one of them.

I don’t think the show gets shut out except for BAFTA, but if the winter award bodies vote like the Emmys and Limited Series gets crowded enough in the second half of the eligibility period, I could see it not having a major award presence and not being a factor come the 2021 Emmys.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.