Home Forums Television Guest Acting 2021

Guest Acting 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
braydenfitzsi..
wolfali
vinny
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know it may seem too early to have this thread but I am personally finding it difficult to predict the guest acting categories and considering we only have four full months left of eligibility I thought it would be helpful if we could try and compile a list of potential contenders per show.

Please let me know if I am forgetting any contenders.

<b>Drama</b>

Guest Actor

The Crown: Tom Brooke, Charles Dance, Nicholas Farrell
    – The Handmaid’s Tale: O-T Fagbenle, Max Minghella
    – His Dark Materials: James McAvoy, Terrence Stamp
    – I Hate Suzie: Dexter Fletcher
    – Industry: Nabhaan Rizwan
    – Loki: Richard E. Grant
    – Lovecraft Country: Courtney B. Vance
    – The Mandalorian: Bill Burr, Timothy Olyphant
    – Ratched: Daniel di Tomasso
    – This is Us: Asante Black, Ron Cephas Jones

Guest Actress

– All Creatures Great and Small: Diana Rigg
    – The Crown: Claire Foy, Rebecca Humphries
    – The Handmaid’s Tale: Alexis Bledel, McKenna Grace
    – His Dark Materials: Nina Sosanya
    – I Hate Suzie: Amanda Abbington
    – Industry: Sarah Parish
    – The Mandalorian: Rosario Dawson, Katee Sackhoff
    – P-Valley: Loretta Devine
    – Ratched: Rosanna Arquette, Sophie Okonedo
    – This is Us: Pamela Adlon, Jennifer C Holmes, Phylicia Rashad

Comedy

Guest Actor

Cobra Kai: Ed Asner
    Ted Lasso: Anthony Head, James Lance
    Saturday Night Live: Alec Baldwin, Jason Bateman, Bill Bur, Timothy Chalamet, Dave Chapelle, John Krasinski, Dan Levy, John Mulaney, Chris Rock
    Sex Education: Jason Isaacs
    Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist: Harvey Guillen

Guest Actress

Cobra Kai: Elizabeth Shue
    The Politician: Robin Weigert
    Ted Lasso: Ellie Taylor
    Truth Seekers: Kelly MacDonald
    Saturday Night Live: Adele, Regina King, Issa Rae, Kristen Wiig
    Sex Education: Jemima Kirke

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

This Is Us’ “Birth Mother” episode alone could fill up a 3rd of both drama categories alone; Vien Hong; Kane Lieu; Jennifer C. Holmes; LisaGay Hamilton

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Jennifer C. Holmes deserves the nomination for “Birth Mother” and even the win depending on the field.

On the comedy side, Ann Dowd was good (as she always is in every role she plays) in the fourth episode of Search Party. Maybe she ends up being the show’s sole nomination like The Leftovers? It’d be a shame, though, because both Search Party and The Leftovers deserved more recognition.

I’m a big fan of Harven Guillen on What We Do in the Shadows, but his character isn’t working for me on Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. And by the way things are going, I think maybe he won’t even be guest eligible since it’s quite possible he’ll be there throughout the season since he’s been in the first three episodes and there’s no sign of him leaving anytime soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Question, since both S3 & S4 of Search Party aired within the eligibility period, would a guest submission need to appear in half the episodes of only one season (4 or less episodes) or both seasons (9 or less episodes).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Question, since both S3 & S4 of Search Party aired within the eligibility period, would a guest submission need to appear in half the episodes of only one season (4 or less episodes) or both seasons (9 or less episodes).

Hopefully the latter so we can start talking about how robbed of a nomination Shalita Grant will be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

This Is Us’ “Birth Mother” episode alone could fill up a 3rd of both drama categories alone; Vien Hong; Kane Lieu; Jennifer C. Holmes; LisaGay Hamilton

and add Jermel Nakia for his captivating performance in the first two episodes. Damn only 6 episodes into this season and This Is Us already has so many deserving contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Potential Comedy nominees

America Ferrera — Superstore (final season, ex lead now guest eligible?)
    Lauren Graham — Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (last appearance is 2×06, hopeful first nod?)
    Yuji Okumoto — Cobra Kai (reprising character from film)
    Tamlyn Tomita — Cobra Kai (see above)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

I believe there’s a chance of the academy extending this year’s elegibility period if the scenario remains that empty

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I believe there’s a chance of the academy extending this year’s elegibility period if the scenario remains that empty

But why should they? Submissions are still up from 2016 (in fact drama submissions are more or less where they were in 2019) and we’ve already started to get precursor nominations. Extending the Emmy season would just be silly. It’s not as if there aren’t any contenders with buzz (look at Ted Lasso, The CrownThe Mandalorian, <i>The Queen’s Gambit </i>and I May Destroy You) so extending the deadline would just be a bad PR move on the Academy looking like they’re saying “we want to award Succession and Impeachment not The CrownThe Mandalorian and The Queen’s Gambit“. It’s only really the guest categories that are so empty.

The AMPAS did more or less do this when they extended their deadline but it’s key to remember that movie theatres weren’t open for these films to be open and have a platform. Television doesn’t face this issue when NBC is essentially airing a new comedy every week and there are more streaming platforms this season than last season (HBO Max and Peacock to name a few).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

This Is Us is going to be CARRYING these categories.

I could also see Jamie Chung being a contender if she ends up in more episodes. According to Hartley it seems like it’s up in the air if she will return, but if she gets some solid material in the rest of the season, I could definitely see her good buzz for Lovecraft Country boosting her to a nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Would Jamie Chung be eligible here for Lovecraft? She’s credited in all 10 episodes but only appears in 6 (1,2,5,6, 8, 10) but 4/6 (2,6,8,10) are physically appearances whilst 2/6 are only as a voice (1,5)

Assuming she’s not, Lovecraft’s main guest plays would be B. Vance & Neumann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Would Jamie Chung be eligible here for Lovecraft?

No. She is in the same position Marianne Jean Baptiste was in for Homecoming.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

Assuming she’s not, Lovecraft’s main guest plays would be B. Vance & Neumann.

What about Regina Taylor? I wonder if they will even submit her

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Bridgerton just made the AFI top ten, and even when shows completely blank on the Primetime Awards, they’ve still won a Guest category (Martindale for Americans and Davies for Justified)

Haven’t seen Bridgerton yet but is there any worthy guest turns?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

Can you imagine how great would it be having Sophie Okonedo, Rosario Dawson and Phylicia Rashad all getting nominated?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.