Home Forums Television Guilds 2019/2020

Guilds 2019/2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 141 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
Dvir B.A.
Ivo Stoyanov
  • Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

All 5 nominees in Drama coming from HBO is a little excessive… THT did deserved this. And Riley was right, the British hate here is vile and shocking.

If Sapochnik loses again I’m done…. it will be downright disrespectful

I have watched all 5 nominees and The Long Night was the worst directed between them. It is between Mark Mylod and Nicole Kassell.

The Crown – PGA, WGA, SAG
    Succession – PGA, DGA, WGA
    Watchmen – PGA, DGA, WGA

The Crown is leading since we know that is not here due to anti-British bias, I hope actors catch up with Succession and Watchmen.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – PGA, DGA, WGA, SAG
    Barry – PGA, DGA, WGA, SAG
    Veep – PGA, DGA, WGA
    Fleabag – PGA, SAG

The entire industry really adores Maisel and Barry. Maisel might win again at the Emmys. Fleabag was not eligible for WGA, so we can pretend that it was nominated there, but not being able to overcome the anti-British bias at DGA did surprised me. And Veep is as popular as always with writers, directors and producers, so we now know for sure that actors screw the show at the Emmys and they were straight forward about it like SAG showed us.

Game of Thrones – PGA, DGA, SAG

Kudos to WGA for being the only honest Guild able to punish the bad quality.

I am thrilled for Stephen Williams

Me too, he deserves it. But Nicole Kassell deserves it more, I saw that she worked a lot with Regina King on American Crime, maybe Regina sees her as her lucky charm.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Well, she only guest-directed a single episode in each of the first two seasons, neither of which Regina King submitted for the Emmys, so I have a different theory.

One reason why Damon Lindelof is such a hero of mine is that he seems to recognize that he is actually in a position of power to increase representation.  Lost started with three Asian series regulars and expanded to four, which is unheard of on television today, let alone sixteen years ago!  After having a mostly male writing staff on Lost and mostly male characters as a result, he made half of his first season’s writing staff and his producing director on The Leftovers women.

Nicole Kassell was a guest director on the last two seasons, so Lindelof knows her from there, but her work was overshadowed by the guest directing on the last two seasons by Craig Zobel.  She has a solid résumé full of stuff like those two random episodes of American Crime, but she had never produced or done a pilot before Watchmen.  It would have been so easy for Lindelof to call up an established journeyman director like Dan Attias or Dan Sackheim with whom he has worked before (or Stephen Williams, whom Lindelof actually did call when the producing-directing workload on Watchmen proved to be too much for just Kassell), but I love that he went with Kassell instead.

She won a DGA Student Award back in 1999, then went to Cannes for her feature directorial debut, which was also the producing debut of Lee Daniels.  They shared a Spirit nomination for it, but her career kind of went nowhere after that.  I have not been following her for years or anything, but this strikes me as a textbook example of how a lack of talented female directors is not what keeps resulting in all-male Best Director lineups; the problem is that the talented female directors who are out there are not getting the opportunities that their male contemporaries are.

Anyway, it seems like she had to wait fifteen years, but Lindelof finally gave her an opportunity worthy of her talent, so she made the most acclaimed new show of the year and has a DGA nomination to show for it.  That is excellent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

All 5 nominees in Drama coming from HBO is a little excessive… THT did deserved this. And Riley was right, the British hate here is vile and shocking

Succession’s DGA nomination nukes this school of thought. There’s no rule o know of that says Fleabag must be nominated and win everything. That’s what this is really all about.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Succession is about Americans in America and is on an American network only, so it is American enough that the bias does not apply.  See also: Veep. By the way, Stephen Daldry has even struggled on the film side: He has three Oscar nominations, but only one DGA nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

People being delusional and calling THT deserving. The critics have dropped it, other awards have dropped it and now PGA, DGA, ACE etc are dropping it too after sweeping like two years ago. Really shows you how quickly it went to shit. The humiliation it deserves. DGA giving those 5 spots to HBO is taste.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

People being delusional and calling THT deserving. The critics have dropped it, other awards have dropped it and now PGA, DGA, ACE etc are dropping it too after sweeping like two years ago. Really shows you how quickly it went to shit. The humiliation it deserves. DGA giving those 5 spots to HBO is taste.

It’s called having an opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Opinions can be delusional, Luca. Example, saying Malek was the best last year can be someone’s opinion but no less delusional. Anyways, take it lightly. I’m just jk.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

I don’t think THT season 3 was bad by any means, but Gold Derby is pretty much the last place on earth to lecture about “accepting opinions”. I pretty much ran away from here after the Emmys for being called “delusional” too many times. It’s like a one huge hive-mind out here

Succession for Outstanding Drama Series, Emmys 2020

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Well, she only guest-directed a single episode in each of the first two seasons, neither of which Regina King submitted for the Emmys, so I have a different theory.

One reason why Damon Lindelof is such a hero of mine is that he seems to recognize that he is actually in a position of power to increase representation.  Lost started with three Asian series regulars and expanded to four, which is unheard of on television today, let alone sixteen years ago!  After having a mostly male writing staff on Lost and mostly male characters as a result, he made half of his first season’s writing staff and his producing director on The Leftovers women.

Nicole Kassell was a guest director on the last two seasons, so Lindelof knows her from there, but her work was overshadowed by the guest directing on the last two seasons by Craig Zobel.  She has a solid résumé full of stuff like those two random episodes of American Crime, but she had never produced or done a pilot before Watchmen.  It would have been so easy for Lindelof to call up an established journeyman director like Dan Attias or Dan Sackheim with whom he has worked before (or Stephen Williams, whom Lindelof actually did call when the producing-directing workload on Watchmen proved to be too much for just Kassell), but I love that he went with Kassell instead.

She won a DGA Student Award back in 1999, then went to Cannes for her feature directorial debut, which was also the producing debut of Lee Daniels.  They shared a Spirit nomination for it, but her career kind of went nowhere after that.  I have not been following her for years or anything, but this strikes me as a textbook example of how a lack of talented female directors is not what keeps resulting in all-male Best Director lineups; the problem is that the talented female directors who are out there are not getting the opportunities that their male contemporaries are.

Anyway, it seems like she had to wait fifteen years, but Lindelof finally gave her an opportunity worthy of her talent, so she made the most acclaimed new show of the year and has a DGA nomination to show for it.  That is excellent.

Yes, your theory makes more sense! Kudos to Lindelof, indeed! And to Kassell for a hard work that finally paid of. She also did an excellent work for Better Call Saul, Westworld and The Americans.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Opinions can be delusional, Luca. Example, saying Malek was the best last year can be someone’s opinion but no less delusional. Anyways, take it lightly. I’m just jk.

Delusional to whom is the question? Too many people believe that Malek was the best performer last year, literally, the entire industry and the biggest part of the world population that watches movies, you can see that in any Facebook post or Youtube video, so maybe you are the delusional one. And if you watch season 4 of Mr. Robot, you would want to give Malek a 100 awards in addition.

About THT, I agree that the writing needs improvement, but the directing is objectively INCREDIBLE. It is delusional not to recognize and see that. And I would have not complain if THT was snubbed for better shows, I have shown that I can be objective many times, but those 2 episodes of GoT are NOT better at all, both the writing and the directing is worst than those in season 3 of THT. If the two episodes of GoT are replaced by Aberfan of The Crown and Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt of Stranger Things along with the two episodes of Watchmen and the one of Succession, I would have been fine with THT being snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

Delusional to whom is the question? Too many people believe that Malek was the best performer last year, literally, the entire industry and the biggest part of the world population that watches movies, you can see that in any Facebook post or Youtube video, so maybe you are the delusional one. And if you watch season 4 of Mr. Robot, you would want to give Malek a 100 awards in addition.

About THT, I agree that the writing needs improvement, but the directing is objectively INCREDIBLE. It is delusional not to recognize and see that. And I would have not complain if THT was snubbed for better shows, I have shown that I can be objective many times, but those 2 episodes of GoT are NOT better at all, both the writing and the directing is worst than those in season 3 of THT. If the two episodes of GoT are replaced by Aberfan of The Crown and Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt of Stranger Things along with the two episodes of Watchmen and the one of Succession, I would have been fine with THT being snubbed.

You just said The Long Night is the worst directed episode out of the five nominees…. there goes objectivity

Succession for Outstanding Drama Series, Emmys 2020

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

There’s a reason everyone has abandoned it now so acting like it’s almost on the same quality as before is delusional, regardless of your so-called ‘objectivity’. Your objectivity goes to the bin when it’s something YOU don’t like, so girl, take a seat and don’t preach something, as DvirBA mentioned, you have never known about. Your posts almost always contradict the point you try to make.😒

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I wholeheartedly support “The Long Night” and hope it wins, because it’s the most cinematic TV episode I saw all year. Is it perfect? Hell no. But that comes from the writing. The darkness didn’t bother me at all tbh – it was intentional IMO. But “The Last of the Starks?” Really? My second least favorite episode of the series. And Nutter’s direction was disjointed. They should have nominated “Mayday” from Handmaid’s instead.

And I agree with Ivo. The writing in S3 of Handmaid’s was all over the place, but the directing wasn’t. It was as good as it’s always been, with some exceptions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

In my eyes, Sam Esmail is the biggest snub this year at the DGA, not The Handmaid’s Tale.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

You just said The Long Night is the worst directed episode out of the five nominees…. there goes objectivity

It is objectively the worst episode, full of dumb decisions (anything related to the Dothrakis, the decision to go full dark was also approved by Sapochnik), chaotic scenes and scenes that lacked realism (almost everything with Jaime and Brienne in it). The Last of the Starks was messy, but with best directorial decisions, especially when they were dining and those 10 last minutes that became iconic. Have you even watched the other three episodes? I doubt it.

There’s a reason everyone has abandoned it now so acting like it’s almost on the same quality as before is delusional, regardless of your so-called ‘objectivity’.

Who is “almost everybody”? Unlike GoT, the fans of the show did not abandoned it, honey.

Your objectivity goes to the bin when it’s something YOU don’t like

Absolutely untrue, I loved GoT, I have defended the show many times here in the past, this can be easily checked. Season 8 is beyond any possible defense if you have at least 10% of good taste.

Your posts almost always contradict the point you try to make.

Not true at all either. My post are full of arguments and, most of the times, factsm, of course, sometimes is just my personal opinion, but is never baseless. Yours, on the contrary, are childish, never serious, and instead of arguments, they are full of supposedly funny irony and meanness.

In my eyes, Sam Esmail is the biggest snub this year at the DGA, not The Handmaid’s Tale.

I agree, but this was never happening. Many of you act like season 4 is the first good season since the first, but the real fans know that he was criminally snubbed for season 3 was well, I was spamming about it here back then. Episode “eps3.4_runtime-err0r.r00” was one single long take for 45 minutes full of tension, drama, twist and character developments all at once, but it was completely ignored, while Iñárritu won every single awards for the same, and this year Mendes is going to follow his steps again for the same. So I already suffered for Esmail, this year I will suffer for Malek and Chaikin.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.