Home Forums Television HBO’s ‘James Gandolfini: Tribute To A Friend’ (12/22)

HBO’s ‘James Gandolfini: Tribute To A Friend’ (12/22)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Denis
24Emmy
Rich Landry
  • 24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

HBO’s ‘James Gandolfini: Tribute To A Friend’ To Premiere December 22
    By THE DEADLINE TEAM
    | Wednesday December 18, 2013 @ 8:47am PST

James Gandolfini: Tribute To A Friend will debut Sunday, December 22 at 8:30 PM on HBO, his old The Sopranos network. In the half-hour tribute, friends and colleagues remember the three-time Emmy winner, who died June 19 at age 51. The special features clips of Gandolfini’s work as well as behind-the-scenes footage.

Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking for to it, he is a legend and deserves much more.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

bump . . .

ReplyCopy URL
    Rich Landry
    Participant
    Topics:

I happened to catch an airing of HBO’s tribute to James Gandolfini. I thought it was such a touching thing that they did to remember this man. It was beautifully done with cast members from The Sopranos, Cinema Verite, Enough Said, God of Carnage and soliders from the documentries that he produced. For his family and friends to have that is a great thing that HBO did. 

I highly recommend you to catch it if you have not done so already. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I though the final moment speaking about the Eagle at Gandolfini’s funeral seems like such an outstanding and beautiful moment that really makes me sad.

ReplyCopy URL
    FrozenBarbie
    Participant
    Topics:

It was a very sweet, and touching tribute. Edie Falco made me cry. He was a very special man who meant so much to so many people.

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

This was very good, I wonder how long will it still take for Edie Falco to win an Oscar? She should’ve have at least 2 by now if given the chance.   

The Cock thing was hillarious.

Tim Van Patten looks like a black metal band vocal lol , it was really touching when he got all emotional.

So many original cast members are still alive and healthy, wonder how much time it would’ve taken before someone decided to do a Sopranos Reunion if Gandolfini was still alive.

Anyway this was briliant. Can’t wait to watch Enough Said.

Wonder if this special will push him closer to the oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This was a moving special, and though it makes Gandolfini’s loss no less monumental, it does make it more personal. I liked seeing most of the major cast get to have their moments of reflection. I hadn’t heard from Robert Iler or Jamie Lynn-Sigler in the days following his death, so it was nice to include them. Seeing how he impacted all of their lives onscreen and offscreen was very touching. All of the footage from “The Sopranos” highlighted what a beast he was whenever he occupied Tony Soprano’s shoes. I particularly loved the “Whitecaps” footage of Gandolfini and Falco, which I consider to be to this day the pinnacle of television dramatic acting. I was surprised how much the documentary section moved me. That’s so far removed from what I think of his legacy, but seeing his interview subjects present-day talk about how much he affected their lives really got to me, especially the redheaded girl talking about the signed poster. I’ve never seen “Alive Day Memories,” and at the time might have cynically seen it as an HBO vanity project to keep a beloved star happy. But now I realize that wasn’t the case at all, and I’m glad to be proven otherwise. I only wished the special were longer to address some of his other notable roles, like “In the Loop,” “Where the Wild Things Are,” “Zero Dark Thirty,” “The Mexican,” and especially “True Romance.” But for what it was, I was quite touched by this special. Dominic Chianese’s poem “Homemade Wine” might have been a maudlin disaster in another context, but instead was very fitting here. I can’t help but think two awards-related issues: one, that this be nominated at next year’s Emmys in whatever newfangled nonfiction/documentary special category exists then, and two, that this high level of sentiment right at the time of Oscar voting could propel his chances for a posthumous Oscar nomination for “Enough Said.”  But anways, check this special out if you haven’t yet. I’m very glad HBO did this for one of its own family. The HBO brand as we know it wouldn’t be what it is today without James Gandolfini.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

So awards experts, where will this be competing at the Emmys?

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

If they keep this year’s categories, I think it would compete in “Informational Series or Special” or “Documentary or Nonfiction Special”.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.