Home Forums Television How was Brian Percival nominated for Directing Downton Abbey in 2012?

How was Brian Percival nominated for Directing Downton Abbey in 2012?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
  • Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

I am watching Downton Abbey for the first time and I was looking at which episodes were nominated and I noticed something peculiar. In 2012, the year in which the second season was eligible, Brian Percival received a directing nomination for Episode 7, yet he didn’t direct Season 2, Episode 7.

He directed the Christmas Special in Season 2, but surely that would be listed as Christmas Special or Episode 9. He did however direct Episode 7 in Season 1. But that surely wouldn’t be Eligible as that season was submitted as a mini-series and the episode was released in 2010.

So was he nominated for Season 1, Episode 7 and it was a weird case of being submitted for the following awards season due to its US airdate or something.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

PBS did this weird thing for a while where they recut Downton Abbey so that there were fewer, but longer episodes with time jumps and maybe some things out of order.  So for the second season for example, the first eight episodes became six episodes and then the Christmas special was the seventh episode.

This is also the main reason why the first season was able to compete as a miniseries at the Emmys.  They were already filming the second season by the time that they even submitted the first for Emmys after all.  But PBS recut the seven episodes of the first season as four feature-length instalments, so it did not have the requisite six episodes to qualify as a series.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.