Home Forums Television How will real-world factors influence the 2020 Emmys?

How will real-world factors influence the 2020 Emmys?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca
wolfali
forwardswill
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Unless it’s Cicely Tyson apparently 😉

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

The protests aren’t against the entire institution of law enforcement, but about certain behaviour and malpractices that are adopted by the police that need to be reformed. People want them to be fair, honest and unprejudiced in their work, which in a way is exemplified by the Unbelievable women, though not as explicitly or under similar circumstances.

Jean Smart is first and foremost a cop in the show, she is not a ‘superhero’ anymore so if Wever and Collette are affected then I guess she should be too because the only thing we are blaming their apparent disadvantage on is them being ‘cops’, which is ridiculous. This argument would actually hold weight if we were talking about someone like Sam Rockwell in Three Billboards.

Anyway, this feels like a very crude and flimsy way of looking at the potential impact of what is happening right now and I certainly hope Academy members vote with more thought than what was proposed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The protests aren’t against the entire institution of law enforcement, but about certain behaviour and malpractices that are adopted by the police that need to be reformed. People want them to be fair, honest and unprejudiced in their work, which in a way is exemplified by the Unbelievable women, though not as explicitly or under similar circumstances. Jean Smart is first and foremost a cop in the show, she is not a ‘superhero’ anymore so if Wever and Collette are affected then I guess she should be too because the only thing we are blaming their apparent disadvantage to is on them being ‘cops’, which is ridiculous. This argument would actually hold weight if we’re talking about someone like Sam Rockwell in Three Billboards. Anyway, this feels like a very crude and flimsy way of looking at the potential impact of what is happening right now and I certainly hope Academy members vote with more thought than what was proposed.

Thank you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Everything is going to affect everything. Even though the Emmys are a narrow prism to judge things by, it’s why we’re all here, so whatever to that. For all we know, the Emmys could be indefinitely postponed, take place on a Zoom call, or be announced as a press release like the Globes did during the writers’ strike. I can’t envision anyone feeling comfortable enough to dress up and crowd in large spaces together anymore, or have a placeholder host there pretending everything is fine. I’m looking for unconventional nominees this year that wouldn’t have been chosen otherwise due to quarantined binging. If there’s any kind of spillover with POC nominees in light of BLM, that’s a positive occurrence, but I give Emmy voters very little credit. They barely watch television, for starters, and are normally lazy and uninspired in their voting choices. They can only nominate from what is actually presented in front of them. Maybe this year’s collision of events is the tipping point for more inclusive nominees? Hope that’s the case, but keeping my expectations in check.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Everything is going to affect everything. Even though the Emmys are a narrow prism to judge things by, it’s why we’re all here, so whatever to that. For all we know, the Emmys could be indefinitely postponed, take place on a Zoom call, or be announced as a press release like the Globes did during the writers’ strike. I can’t envision anyone feeling comfortable enough to dress up and crowd in large spaces together anymore, or have a placeholder host there pretending everything fine. I’m looking for unconventional nominees this year that wouldn’t have been chosen otherwise due to quarantined binging. If there’s any kind of spillover with POC nominees in light of BLM, that’s a positive occurrence, but I give Emmy voters very little credit. They barely watch television, for starters, and are normally lazy and uninspired in their voting choices. They can only nominate from what is actually presented in front of them. Maybe this year’s collision of events is the tipping point for more inclusive nominees? Hope that’s the case, but keeping my expectations in check.

I think to say ‘anymore’ can sound like scaremongering to some. I doubt the Emmys are never going to have a ceremony again because of the events this year.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

It’s not “scaremongering” or anything of the sort. It’s soberly assessing the new reality of things and going from there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I meant the protests are recent, not BLM. WTSU blew up, but only took home two Emmys…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vice Wicked
    Topics:

I personally think that Netflix has the advantage as it has been widely known and the shows are just at the click of a button if you have subscription, and who aren’t during this pandemic. So yes, streaming in general will have an advantage.

In terms of social relevance, I really believe that if voters get to see shows like say Watchmen, then it would help their decisions during voting.

It will also be a battle on campaign strategies and creativity as there wouldn’t be FYC events left and right for the networks and shows to put up in order to be seen by voters. These as the world and the industry continue to adapt to the new normal. I just hope that by Emmy night, the pandemic will be more contained all over the world.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Black Lives Matter makes recognition poor taste for a show like The Outsider, which depicts cops simply as by-the-books white men who serve out justice to criminals. This old-school law-and-order portrayal does not reflect the reality that Black Lives Matter is exposing. It seems a mistake to me to lump in Unbelievable, given that Toni Collette actually goes out of her way to go after dirty cops.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

When They See Us was MUCH more culturally and socially relevant than Chernobyl, and we all saw how that turned out.

I think this attitude is exactly what convinced people to incorrectly predict WTSU last year – Chernobyl’s messaging about the disasters – both personal and literal – that can come from corrupt leadership, misinformation, and misguided nativism was just as culturally relevant as the themes in WTSU. When I heard podcasters and forum posters comparing it to a Hollywood disaster film, I was pretty shocked. I was not surprised at all that it did so well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

If only Netflix had dropped “When They See Us” on May 31st of this year instead of last year, in hindsight.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I wonder if Nat Geo would have done any better with The Hot Zone this year with its timely story about viral epidemic containment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think this talk about the Emmys voting for people of colour because of the protests is silly. If Viola Davis or even Sandra Oh get in it is not because of the protests.

However I do think three shows can benefit quite heavily from the current political situation and they are Black-ishInsecure and Maisel. Black-ish actually is still quite a popular programme and covers a lot of the issues that are being widely covered in the media right now. I’d say Insecure had a better chance than Black-ish especially considering it was airing more recently and has had newfound visibility due to the fact you know who liked a tweet about it.  Maisel I think could benefit in the Supporting Actor category for Leroy McClain because of the whole arc that covers the discrimination African-Americans faced with segregation in the 60s.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.