Home Forums Television Is there already a 2018 Emmy Rules Changes thread?

Is there already a 2018 Emmy Rules Changes thread?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Gabriel
boss
  • That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I just got a look at the new Emmy rules, but before I make the same mistake I made last year (IIRC), I’ll ask first…is there already a thread for the new rules changes?

One might affect some predictions – comedy series directing.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

What is it exactly? I assume you are not talking about how it has been expanded to six nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

What is it exactly? I assume you are not talking about how it has been expanded to six nominees.

There is a rule that will require at least one multi cam nomination. Basically we can call it the W&G rule.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

And to answer the thread, I don’t think so.

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

There is a rule that will require at least one multi cam nomination. Basically we can call it the W&G rule.

Lol are you being serious?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jack J.
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s dumb.

ReplyCopy URL
    That Don Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are the rules changes I have found (at least, what I consider the “major” ones):

In the comedy series directing category, the ratio of single-camera to multi-camera nominees will match the ratio of entries, with at least one of each type being nominated.

Reality series directing will now be its own category.

The Variety Special category has been split into separate live and pre-recorded categories.

There is no more “Special Class Program” category. Awards shows are eligible in the two Variety Special categories (assuming there are any pre-recorded awards, as opposed to honors (e.g. Kennedy Center), shows, besides the Creative Arts Emmys, which, being Emmys, is not eligible for Emmys).

The Series Sound Editing category has been split into one-hour and half-hour categories.

Costumes for Period/Fantasy has been split into separate Period and Fantasy/Sci-Fi categories. Note that a “science fiction program” will be entered in the Fantasy/SF category, even if the costumes are contemporary (e.g. an episode of Timeless that mainly takes place in the present).

A choreographed routine can only be entered in Choreography for the first time it is performed (e.g. a routine done in an early round of So You Think You Can Dance? that is performed again in the season finale, possibly with different dancers, can only have the first performance entered).

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, I’m in shock at the Comedy Directing rule. I had no idea. How ridiculous!

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe they should split the category if that’s the case. Honestly, directing a multi-camera sitcom (even better if actually in front of a live audience) is a totally different animal than directing a single-camera comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

They need a damn category for guest performers in limited series, I don’t understand why they don’t have that. Also they need to be expanding the amount of nominees in a category. Just 7 for series drama and comedy and only 5 for limited is just ridiculous.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Limited series are supposed to be limited, so everyone is kind of a guest.

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/television/what-rules-will-and-should-change-at-the-next-emmys/

I think that I have just been discussing the sound editing and directing changes in miscellaneous threads though.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s only fitting that the year after Mark Cendrowski has been elected as the new governor of directing branch an obligatory multi camera slot is put into motion.

But after last years ”everyone can nominate as many people as they like” rule that is implemented which no other organization uses and could only open the door for more name checks they were supposedly trying to avoid, nothing coming from TV Academy can turly surprise me.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

That comedy directing rule is outrageous! They can’t force you to vote multicam if one doesn’t like it. So I’m a little confused to how there’s a locked slot for a multicam nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

It sets a dangerous precedent, imo. What are they going to do next: dictate that at least one network show absolutely must be nominated for Drama Series?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

“Also they need to be expanding the amount of nominees in a category. Just 7 for series.”

no, if anything they should contract the #. preferably to 5.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.