Home Forums Television Outstanding Drama Series 2017

Outstanding Drama Series 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Pulp
Eden
forwardswill
  • Lance
    Participant
    Topics:

If you look at the types of shows that have won over the years, Stranger Things just doesn’t seem like a Best Drama series. It’s too sci-fi/horror compared to what the academy usually goes for. I think the closest thing to this type of show, that won, was Lost (season 1) but even that wasn’t that sci-fi/horror in it’s first season.

I think it still has a good shot of winning (previous awards, hype, weak competition, lots of noms – especially acting). Also, the television landscape has changed and maybe the academy is now scewing more towards out of the box type shows.

Still, my gut says it’s going to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

If you look at the types of shows that have won over the years, Stranger Things just doesn’t seem like a Best Drama series. It’s too sci-fi/horror compared to what the academy usually goes for. I think the closest thing to this type of show, that won, was Lost (season 1) but even that wasn’t that sci-fi/horror in it’s first season.

I think it still has a good shot of winning (previous awards, hype, weak competition, lots of noms – especially acting). Also, the television landscape has changed and maybe the academy is now scewing more towards out of the box type shows.

Still, my gut says it’s going to lose.

Well nothing like GOT had ever won before, the Academy definitely seems to be changing. I can only see Handmaid’s Tale beating it, especially if they decide to get political.

#FreeTheBannedFour

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, I didn’t know that Emmy voters were required to watch every episode of every show to vote.

Oh wait they’re not. That’s the whole point of individual episode submissions. Too bad for you, stan, that many of those people’s opinions will matter even though you think they shouldn’t.

You haven’t even watched the submitted episode.

#FreeTheBannedFour

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this seems very unlikely to happen but is there any way that the five freshman shows split votes and lead Better Call Saul or House of Cards to win. I am asking this because seriously any of those five new shows can win. Plus, this wasn’t the case for previous years.

ReplyCopy URL
    seberko
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this seems very unlikely to happen but is there any way that the five freshman shows split votes and lead Better Call Saul or House of Cards to win. I am asking this because seriously any of those five new shows can win. Plus, this wasn’t the case for previous years.

I don’t think so. I agree that all five new shows could win, but I don’t think there’s a large enough bloc of the Academy whose priority is to vote for a new show over anything else. So any vote splitting that does occur would be minimal.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this seems very unlikely to happen but is there any way that the five freshman shows split votes and lead Better Call Saul or House of Cards to win

Better Call Saul would be surprising but understandable since it received a lot of the most indicative nominations. I can’t see anyone being most passionate about HoC season 5 out of all the nominees. I think it would’ve done reasonably well on the preferential ballot (it never won, sure, but it’s been up against tough competition the past 4 years), but now I don’t think the quality of the show will give it enough support

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, there were some people saying that the crown and Stranger Things could split votes because they’re both Netflix, but these shows are just all very different. Better Call Saul probably needs more support from the actors branch to win, but I don’t think they’re far behind.

#FreeTheBannedFour

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone rewatched Stranger Things after the nominations came out?

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone rewatched Stranger Things after the nominations came out?

Yes, I thought it was much better the second time round.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 136 through 144 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.