Home Forums Television SAG Awards 2019 TV Nominees Reactions

SAG Awards 2019 TV Nominees Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 141 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Eden
Ivo Stoyanov
  • Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

I think my brain died today. On the plus side, Better Call Saul and The Americans got recognized. On the other hand, Ozark, which is a legitimately bad show, got four nominations. Jeffrey Wright, Matthew Rhys and Ed Harris were better than any of the nominees, and Keri Russell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Evan Rachel Wood, Ann Dowd, Thandie Newton, and Yvonne Strahovski would have been better than Laura Linney, Julia Garner, and Robin Wright. That’s not even mentioning the terrible comedy nominations which ignored The Good Place, Will and Grace, and Betty Gilpin. And the absence of Donald Glover is insanity after Teddy Perkins. This Is Us should be out of the conversation by now, and Ozark should’ve never been in it. With the fantastic cast of Westworld being snubbed, it’s gotta be a race between The Americans and The Handmaid’s Tale. Also, how did Joseph Fiennes get in? That performance is okay, but the rest of the cast outperforms him.

Garner is pretty good on Ozark from what I’ve heard.

The Americans is not gonna win. It is between Ozark and THT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ginnala
    Topics:

Let’s trot out some numbers, shall we?

Kominsky Method: 78% Rotten Tomatoes, 68 Metacritic
    Maisel: 86 Metacritic, 94% RT
    The Good Place: 100% RT, 96 Metacritic

Guess which show got royally f’d? SAG chose style over substance.

The Good Place does NOT have a better cast ensemble than Kominsky Method or Maisel. Don’t fool yourself thinking otherwise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

The Good Place does NOT have a better cast ensemble than Kominsky Method

Can’t agree. Just because they have Douglas and Arkin doesn’t make the show special.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin and The cast of the Good Place are both great but Douglas and Arkin are better than the Good Place Cast easily

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

What is all of this talk about The Americans versus The Handmaid’s Tale? Why would This is Us suddenly lose? People seem to have missed that it is nominated again. Downton Abbey won three times, blocking Game of Thrones every time.

Anyway, some of these nominations are so random. Jessica Biel is snubbed for the highly-rated and buzzed-about first season, but Bill Pullman not only misses the Emmys, but is nominated for the low-rated second season? Julia Roberts is snubbed for her hot Amazon show, but Anthony Hopkins is nominated for King Lear, even after being snubbed for Westworld?

Fucking Ozark, man.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin and The cast of the Good Place are both great but Douglas and Arkin are better than the Good Place Cast easily

I liked Arkin, but Douglas didn’t do anything special.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

The Good Place does NOT have a better cast ensemble than Kominsky Method or Maisel. Don’t fool yourself thinking otherwise.

I’ll dispute that, sir, from now until the second coming. Good Place has the deepest bench of actors of any comedy out there. Maisel is sugary fluff with a heaping helping of style that is as empty as Andre Agassi’s old Nike commercials proclaiming style is everything. It is to the SAGs, and the only reasons Arkin and Douglas were nominated is because their names are Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas. Where’s Danson? Where’s Glover? And since we’re taking supporting actors in lead acting roles, where’s Marc Evan Jackson? Where’s D’Arcy Carden? Where’s William Jackson Harper? Up shits creek, that’s where.

These nominations are horse-s from the first to the last.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

Wanted to make a clarification; the Metacritic and RT #s listed for TGP, Kominsky and Maisel are from their current seasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AwardsConnect
    Topics:

Thank heavens Jane & Lily are still in there! 🙂

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Do I have to start watching “Ozark” now? Ensemble, Bateman, Linney, & GARNER? Goodness. Sad that “Orange” was dropped for a thrilling sixth season. Brown is back after some big misses with Critics Choice & Globes. Comedy isn’t all that exciting or interesting. Glad “GLOW” wasn’t forgotten. I’m guessing voters saw “Maisel” screeners in time like Globes did. Telefilm is interesting. Hopkins and Pullman over Benicio Del Toro and Paul Dano? That’s depressing, but at least “EAD” wasn’t totally forgotten with Arquette. Yay for “This Is Us,” “Better Call Saul,” “Versace,” “Sharp Objects,” and “GLOW.” Didn’t realize that Alan Alda was getting the Lifetime Achievement Award! Very cool. He’s sick now, so I hope he’s well enough to deliver a coherent speech on awards night and not miss it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Rich Landry
    Topics:

So they only watched 4 series this year it seems…..I really wish they would increase to 6 nominees in each category if they insist on combining Lead and Supporting.

Great:

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel love

Kominsky Method love

Jane & Lily

Hugh Grant

Patricia Arquette

No Shameless

The Bad:

Too much Ozark love. It’s a fine show but only Linney and Garner were memorable last season

Bill Pullman? Really?

No The Good Place, thought it had a chance after Kristen hosted last year.

No Pose

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

And since we’re taking supporting actors in lead acting roles?

Since the beginning of SAG.

And accept that the industry and the critics have different taste. You are always talking about the scores of the shows, but acting is different, critics also rewarded Brosnahan, so stop lying yourself that the scores are some kind of irrefutable truth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Jessica Biel is snubbed for the highly-rated and buzzed-about first season, but Bill Pullman not only misses the Emmys, but is nominated for the low-rated second season? Julia Roberts is snubbed for her hot Amazon show, but Anthony Hopkins is nominated for King Lear, even after being snubbed for Westworld?

This is very easy to explain, it is not about the names and the shows, but about the performances, and especially, about the rivals. Biel were against 5 actresses from Feud and Big Little Lies, she had zero chance. Hopkins was supporting and not very memorable for many people in Westworld, a show they clearly never really liked since they love repeats, but they dropped Westworld entirely, and he was in Drama, now he is in Limited where is a lot easier and he is really lead with a lot to do from what I have heard.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Blessed be the fruit, Handmaid’s is gonna win Ensemble!

I am SHOCKED by these nominations, I don’t even know where to begin.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.