Home Forums Television SAG Awards 2020 TV Nominations (Predictions Event Now Active!)

SAG Awards 2020 TV Nominations (Predictions Event Now Active!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 175 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Ivo Stoyanov
forwardswill
  • Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Big Little lies is gonna get 2 acting nods at the most.

FYC Emmys-
    Limited- Quiz/ Unbelievable/ Years and Years

Drama-Big Little Lies/ The Crown/ Killing Eve/ The Morning Show
    Jennifer, Jodie, Sandra, Olivia & VIOLA DAVIS

Comedy- Schitts Creek/ Dead to Me- Christina Applegate, Catherine O’Hara, Suzy Nakamura, Annie Murphy, Dan Levy

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

It could work against them though. There are plenty of comments online about wishing they kept the old cast with aged makeup so the new cast has an additional barrier of winning over those that are loyal to the original/ may be viewed as not living up to the standard set of the original cast. That said it is a cast of veterans and I’m keen for Charles Dance to finally win something lol

I actually recently found out that Dance has won at SAG before. He was in the winning cast of Gosford Park (never seen it).

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

That said it is a cast of veterans and I’m keen for Charles Dance to finally win something lol

Fingers crossed that he is guest eligible at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Fingers crossed that he is guest eligible at the Emmys.

I’m torn between wanting him to be guest eligible where he’ll have an easier time getting nominated (or winning), and having him be eligible in supporting where he’ll have a harder time getting in, but he’d at least get more time to shine. Cause boy does that man shine.

Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

Those who diss The Good Place will be happy at this statement; I don’t see SAG honoring them as they’ve never opted to nominate it in the past. Won’t happen this time, either.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I was the one who pointed out that BLL had 4 nominated actors, however, Limited series categories are not the same as Drama categories, all of us know that.

Again, if we look the stats, I am happy that those were useful for many of you, one of the two HBO shows is a goner, for me is GoT, but there is always the possibility to be BLL as well. More stats:

In the last 10 years HBO has been able to nominate only 4 dramas here:
    True Blood (just 1 random nomination for season 2 for its cast), Westworld (2 noms for its cast and for Newton for season 1, completely snubbed for season 2), so we can discount these two, and we only have 2 strong contenders, and calling GoT strong contender here is a huge overstatement (6 from 7 possible noms for cast, 5 noms for Dinklage, 0 wins), the fourth one is the only one they really liked – Boardwalk Empire (never missed a nom – 5 noms for its cast for all the 5 seasons, Steve Buscemi was the only individually nominated actor, but he also never missed, both him and the cast won 2 times, so it has 4 wins).

In the meantime, Netflix managed to sneak the same amount of dramas – 4 – but it was able to do it for half the time HBO did – only 5 years.

Those are: The Crown, Stranger Things (we already established that they have never missed and that both have amazing records with individual actors as well, 3 acting wins for The Crown, 1 cast win for Stranger Things), Ozark (it over-performed for its second season, but it was snubbed in cast for the first, Bateman and Linney were nominated both times though, Garner joined them for season 2, from those 6 noms it won 1 for Bateman) and House of Cards (2 noms for its cast, 4 individual noms for Spacey and 5 individual noms for Wright, from those 11 noms it won 2 for Spacey).

Conclusion:
    HBO – 4 dramas in 10 years, only 4 wins, all of them for Boardwalk Empire.

Netflix – 4 dramas in 5 years, 7 wins, all four dramas have won something.

The Crown and Stranger Things are not going anywhere, neither are Handmaid’s Tale and This is us. Big Little Lies can follow the steps of Westworld and True Blood, even if it had better record for its firs season, it was in a different category. But I think that they are going to snub GoT, it seems the most logical step. Succession is a possible spoiler, though.

Can we add Russell Tovey and Idris Elba into the Limited Series/TV Movie Actor category?

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting Olivia Colman to win 3 SAGs. Drama Actress, Drama Ensemble and Comedy Ensemble. Which one is the least likely do people think?

FYC Emmys-
    Limited- Quiz/ Unbelievable/ Years and Years

Drama-Big Little Lies/ The Crown/ Killing Eve/ The Morning Show
    Jennifer, Jodie, Sandra, Olivia & VIOLA DAVIS

Comedy- Schitts Creek/ Dead to Me- Christina Applegate, Catherine O’Hara, Suzy Nakamura, Annie Murphy, Dan Levy

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

She’s 99% winning Drama Actress and Comedy Ensemble. I’m not sure about Drama Ensemble.

Yeah, Drama Ensemble might go again for This is us, the fourth season has been spectacular, and with those 10 new actors that all have worked amazingly well, it will be hard to beat. The cast is huge now.

Profile picture
    ginnala
    Topics:

Drama ensemble is going to Big Little Lies. Even if it flops at other awards, it’s still SAG bait.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

She’s 99% winning Drama Actress and Comedy Ensemble. I’m not sure about Drama Ensemble.

Yup Drama is the most vulnerable and I can see Succession winning if it gets the nomination. The actors were the reported as the people most of their peers wanted to meet at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but This is Us is winning both ensemble and actor again. This is the group that went back to awarding Downton Abbey after Breaking Bad, then awarded Downton Abbey a third time for good measure. They like what they like because the membership is too broad for inspired choices like at the Emmys.

Game of Thrones is not going to start winning now for its worst season, plus SAG is not big on shows that do not go out on top. Alec Baldwin won seven times, then lost on his final nomination for 30 Rock. Downton Abbey had won the previous two seasons, but lost for its final. I know that we have been treating The Crown as the second coming, but at some point, we have to take a step back and acknowledge the absurdity of that. The Crown is not a cool show, a populist show or even really a critics’ show. After taking down the likes of Game of Thrones, The Handmaid’s Tale and Stranger Things, This is Us has to start in the default position and after it proved more resilient than expected at the Emmys, we do not have reason to think that it has slipped significantly, nor are any of its challengers particularly strong. The mere nomination is the hurdle for This is Us. Given how relatively small the panel is that decides the nominations, they could be elitist enough to snub it, like they did its first year eligible.

Sterling K. Brown is winning again because the man who beat him is gone and there are no challengers. This is the group that awarded William H. Macy off of name recognition, took a moment to recognize the achievement of Jeffrey Tambor in Transparent, then went back to awarding Macy for the freaking seventh and eighth seasons of Shameless while still nominating Tambor. They are not going to start awarding Peter Dinklage per above. Tobias Menzies is going to be borderline supporting and relatively reserved. Pose is too niche. Rami Malek had actually gotten a SAG nomination for his Emmy-winning season and even he failed to win SAG after his Emmy, plus there was more consensus about Malek anyway with his Critics’ Choice win. I mentioned Tambor, who was in a similarly niche show, but the comedy field was shallow enough that Transparent got into ensemble and Tambor’s biggest competition was a guy in a show that was never considered for an ensemble nomination. Pose is not getting into ensemble and Porter’s biggest competitor is in a show that is actually winning ensemble.

As for what misses ensemble altogether, my money is on Stranger Things. SAG is not huge on genre. They never awarded Game of Thrones despite it being the biggest show in the world and the biggest show in Emmy history. They dropped Westworld after one season, even though the second season did really well at the Emmys, SAG generally likes HBO and Westworld actually deserved to win ensemble. Lost actually won ensemble, then was never nominated again, even as it was nominated by PGA every season. It could be Big Little Lies that misses. That show has some bad buzz, plus I get some True Detective vibes where they nominate the individual famous people, but do not nominate the ensemble. It is not going to be The Handmaid’s Tale that misses, seeing as it consistently exceeds expectations in industry nominations. Given SAG’s love of HBO, I am not sure how Succession missed last year. It also missed PGA and acting at the Emmys, so it is not particularly strong. I will have to see it nominated in ensemble to believe it, so I am not getting my hopes up with a prediction and will instead continue to treat it as the Silicon Valley of drama.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

A deserving ensemble winning an ensemble award is bad news? Ok. And Billy Porter isn’t just some random competition either. A former Broadway star finding crossover success in television are those eligible voters dreams, so he’s winning despite his show probably not making it in again.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘SAG Awards 2020 TV Nominations (Predictions Event Now Active!)’ is closed to new replies.