Home Forums Television SAG Awards 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

SAG Awards 2021 TV Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 246 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oh, Zendaya is getting in. The way actors threw their support behind her after the Emmy noms and of course with that win has me convinced. Plus, we can’t rule out the possibility of voters thinking they’re just voting for season 1. Heck, I am putting her at #1.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

If she gets in I will predict her to win but I don’t currently see her getting past the SAG nominating committee

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The buzz for TQG and Anya Taylor-Joy is bigger than the one who Euphoria’s special. I’m not saying Zendaya can’t win but Anya is still the frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t see Blanchett winning the Globe but if she wins anywhere it’s here.

SAG love showier “louder acting” performances from well known veterans here. Look at Tony Shalhoub repeating for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and winning over Andrew Scott. Look at Bryan Cranston beating Riz Ahmed. Look at Sam Rockwell winning over Jharrel Jerome. I am obviously not counting out Taylor-Joy but she could lose SAG like Ahmed and Jerome did.

It’s the same reasoning which is leading me to believe that even if she’s losing everything else to her that Gillian Anderson is definitely ahead of Corrin here imo.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I have an honest question, if Killing Eve gets into Ensamble, Comer or Oh or both will get into Drama actress, who will be out if that happens – Linney, Garner, Corrin, Anderson or Colman? Or it is not a possible scenario?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I don’t see Blanchett winning the Globe but if she wins anywhere it’s here. SAG love showier “louder acting” performances from well known veterans here. Look at Tony Shalhoub repeating for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and winning over Andrew Scott. Look at Bryan Cranston beating Riz Ahmed. Look at Sam Rockwell winning over Jharrel Jerome. I am obviously not counting out Taylor-Joy but she could lose SAG like Ahmed and Jerome did. It’s the same reasoning which is leading me to believe that even if she’s losing everything else to her that Gillian Anderson is definitely ahead of Corrin here imo.

Sam Rockwell’s performance was not loud. It was all very subdued. In fact, I’d say Jerome’s was the louder one on account of being more overtly emotional.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I have an honest question, if Killing Eve gets into Ensamble, Comer or Oh or both will get into Drama actress, who will be out if that happens – Linney, Garner, Corrin, Anderson or Colman? Or it is not a possible scenario?

I don’t see Killing Eve getting the two leads here. It’s either Comer, Oh or non. Right now, I’m going with Comer and I’m leaving Garner out. Linney, Colman and Anderson are locks, and I don’t see a scenario where any of these three gets snubbed. Then I have Corrin getting in a la Julia Garner for season 2 of Ozark and then I’m going with Comer for the fifth slot. Her performance continues to be popular and I feel like she’s well liked by her peers. Garner still has a huge shot of getting in but considering she fell a bit to the background this past season, I’m predicting a snub. But I do think it’s quite possible for Drama Actress to be The Crown x3 and Ozark x2.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To me Killing Eve can go three routes here:

– It gets shut out completely à la Westworld and one of Comer or Oh gets snubbed for Emma Corrin like Newton got snubbed for Garner.

– It gets into ensemble but misses out for Comer/Oh because of the competition in Actress. (this is what I am currently predicting because I have a feeling Killing Eve will do what Greys Anatomy did the year after Wilson got in over Oh although of course Greys was more of an ensemble show)

– Along with ensemble one of Comer/Oh slip in at the expense of Colman, Corrin or Garner.

What might be worth baring in mind is that this is a show that SAG voters love a lot and is a show the has only become more basic and mainstream for their tastes. Remember when they hopped on board the Sandra Oh train for season 1 when the show was an obscure critics darling? Remember when they nominated Jodie Comer for season 2 (yes I know she won the Emmy) when Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon and more were there?

They could very well go for either one of Comer or Oh. Comer still gives one of the most acclaimed performances on television and her star has only risen and Sandra Oh both has the Killing Eve writers scandal being potentially on voters minds still and is a household name.

I’d say if one of them get in (I don’t see both getting in because I mean SAG LOVES Ozark and The Crown a lot) then they’ll get in at the expense of one of Colman, Corrin or Garner.

Anderson and Linney are locks. SAG have nominated Linney since season 1 (which the Emmys haven’t), they love Ozark more than the Academy and this was HER season. Anderson (although she’s missed for projects that have been awards non-factors like The Fall, her British miniseries and American Gods) has had a more solid track record at SAG than Colman has, is playing Margaret Thatcher, has a transformative performance (and debatably the loudest performance) in this season of The Crown and whilst Corrin and her both have the same amount of buzz she has the name which in a name-checky place like SAG puts her ahead of Corrin too here. I mean it should be noted (whilst it was a long time ago) that they nominated Anderson for The X-Files long after the Emmys dropped her and she won two individual SAG awards for her performance. She did get snubbed for Bleak House although I doubt SAG members watched that. This woman is in one of the most watched Netflix shows of the year, is often considered a television icon and many (well those in the US because she’s been one of the queens of television in the UK along with Olivia Colman) haven’t seen her on their screens in as big or mainstream a role since The X-Files. See actors like Reese Witherspoon being shocked by her transformation.

I’ve already said what I’ve said about Colman. I love her and she’ll probably get my Drama Actress vote at the GoldDerby awards (at least for a nomination because if Billie Piper stays Drama she’s locked for my vote haha) but SAG don’t like her very much and they may end up awarding her for The Father instead. I can see that causing SAG-AFTRA voters already voting for her for The Father to just not vote for her at all for The Crown (see how Laura Dern and Nicole Kidman got snubbed for Big Little Lies because Dern was already winning for Marriage Story and they voted for Kidman for Bombshell).

Whilst Corrin is marginally my MVP from this season of The Crown she’s not safe for a nomination. Her performance was absolutely PHENOMENAL but she still is an actress who is a newcomer. In a way she reminds me of Marion Cotillard for La Vie en Rose. She’s coming up against one of the most iconic actresses in TV/Film in their awards comeback performance so she doesn’t do well with groups who like to honour veterans but because of how there’s so much of a novelty factor with her performance and how she shockingly embodied such an iconic figure she wins with groups such as BAFTA and the Oscar/Emmy.

Garner was someone I considered a lock but whilst she has the repeat Emmy win going for her, is in a show SAG love a lot and was nominated for season 2 I wouldn’t be surprised if she missed. I think Aaayaan pointed this out but SAG and the TV Academy have been growing further and further apart from each other recently. Look at Maisel and <i>The Crown </i>winning ensemble despite them still getting nominated but not winning for their actors at the Emmys. Look at Tony Shalhoub’s repeat win. Look at Moss getting in or Sam Rockwell winning. Look at the Succession and Watchmen shut out or the Schitt’s under-performance (this is why I am currently predicting Ted Lasso to win Actor and ensemble). That may hurt Ozark (which was welcomed more in nominations by the TV Academy this year) or help it get even Tom Pelphrey in (because it is still a show SAG jumped on board to celebrate first). I have her in though because she is also in <i>The Assistant </i>(which has been more widely seen than some like to admit although Garner won’t get an Oscar nom for it) and she’s been getting strong notices for that so that can only help her.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But I do think it’s quite possible for Drama Actress to be The Crown x3 and Ozark x2.

Big Little Lies and Feud teas.

I’m going with Comer for the fifth slot. Her performance continues to be popular and I feel like she’s well liked by her peers.

Yep I agree.

Comer continues to give one of the most acclaimed and popular performances on TV, her star has risen and her show has become more mainstream in quality and popular. Not predicting her but I am not ruling her out either.

Sam Rockwell’s performance was not loud. It was all very subdued. In fact, I’d say Jerome’s was the louder one on account of being more overtly emotional.

Well I guess I didn’t phrase myself correctly. These types of louder and/or transformative performances from veterans or well known stars are performances SAG voters are more inclined to vote for. I’m still considering Anya for the win but this is the reason why I have Blanchett at number one for the win right now.

On a personal note I will say his performances in the fourth and sixth episodes of Fosse/Verdon were quite “loud” but that was how I personally found his performance. It still was a very transformative and baity one from a veteran so the trend still stands here. Even though Jerome gave a loud and transformative (didn’t he gain weight for the role) performance too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I don’t see Killing Eve getting the two leads here. It’s either Comer, Oh or non. Right now, I’m going with Comer and I’m leaving Garner out. Linney, Colman and Anderson are locks, and I don’t see a scenario where any of these three gets snubbed. Then I have Corrin getting in a la Julia Garner for season 2 of Ozark and then I’m going with Comer for the fifth slot. Her performance continues to be popular and I feel like she’s well liked by her peers. Garner still has a huge shot of getting in but considering she fell a bit to the background this past season, I’m predicting a snub. But I do think it’s quite possible for Drama Actress to be The Crown x3 and Ozark x2.

Thanks, very interesting thought, but I strongly disagree that Garner “fell a bit to the background this past season”, she was a lead in fact and she is was the MVP of the fandom of the show and also the MVP for Emmy voters, a victory I predicted correctly. So I will not have this discussion again.

However, I agree with you completely about Comer, so I do think that one of the 5 frontrunners is going to be replaced by her, but it is not going to be Garner, it will be one of the three Crown ladies, but I do not know who…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

– It gets into ensemble but misses out for Comer/Oh because of the competition in Actress. (this is what I am currently predicting because I have a feeling Killing Eve will do what Greys Anatomy did the year after Wilson got in over Oh although of course Greys was more of an ensemble show)

This is the option I do not buy. They will drop Killing Eve completely or Comer, Oh or both will make it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

it will be one of the three Crown ladies, but I do not know who…

As I said if its one of The Crown ladies it will be one of Colman or Corrin imo. Corrin was my MVP but she still lacks name recognition which we’ve seen hurt non Garner performers here (although I’m predicting her like Estrelas is) and Colman could miss if they’re awarding her on the film side. Anderson is not missing. She’s someone who when they’re in a hit show that award bodies like (I don’t count either HannibalThe FallSex Education or Bleak House in this category) gets in. The Crown is a Netflix show and this season is a big hit and she’s one of the biggest selling points of the season. So is Corrin but Anderson has name recognition which Corrin doesn’t.

I don’t see them snubbing Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher.

Also I won’t be surprised if Helena Bonham Carter made it in over Colman. As I said I loved Colman this season but HBC could very well have been ahead of Colman last year, is the bigger name and videos of her from the show have been going viral. I don’t think she’s ahead of either Anderson or Corrin at the Globes, CC or Emmys but she could very well be ahead of Colman and maybe even Corrin at SAG. She is the most recognisable name of the season after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Thanks, very interesting thought, but I strongly disagree that Garner “fell a bit to the background this past season”, she was a lead in fact and she is was the MVP of the fandom of the show and also the MVP for Emmy voters, a victory I predicted correctly. So I will not have this discussion again. However, I agree with you completely about Comer, so I do think that one of the 5 frontrunners is going to be replaced by her, but it is not going to be Garner, it will be one of the three Crown ladies, but I do not know who…

I think that’s a bit too severe. This season has been a huge hit and it will be much more fresh on voters minds than season 3 of Ozark. Garner was amazing but she can easily be dropped for a newcomer. Just like she did in season 2, when she got in over Emmy winner Thandie Newton.

Garner is indeed the MVP of the show but in season 3 Linney and Pelphrey got most of the attention. I know she won the Emmy but Emmy winners have failed to get in at SAG before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Also I won’t be surprised if Helena Bonham Carter made it in over Colman. As I said I loved Colman this season but HBC could very well have been ahead of Colman last year, is the bigger name and videos of her from the show have been going viral. I don’t think she’s ahead of either Anderson or Corrin at the Globes, CC or Emmys but she could very well be ahead of Colman and maybe even Corrin at SAG. She is the most recognisable name of the season after all.

Yeah, but her single episode was not very well received, it will be a shock for me if she makes it in front of all the names we already mentioned. It is very difficult, but it might be Colman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I think that’s a bit too severe. This season has been a huge hit and it will be much more fresh on voters mind than season 3 of Ozark. Garner was amazing but she can easily be dropped for a newcomer. Just like she did in season 2, when she got in over Emmy winner Thandie Newton.

Garner is indeed the MVP of the show but in season 3 Linney and Pelphrey got most of the attention. I know she won the Emmy but Emmy winners have failed to get in at SAG before.

Yes, very good points all along, but it is very difficult to nominate 3 people form the same show in that particular category… It will be an uncertainty until the last moment…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.