Home Forums Television Saturday Night Live Season 45 (2019/20)

Saturday Night Live Season 45 (2019/20)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 239 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
vinny
Atypical
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I’m sorry, but this episode was garbage. I’m shocked at how poor the writing was. You’d think a star as enormous as Scarlett would’ve gotten better material than this. It’s like they knew Eddie Murphy was finally returning next week and they tried to save all of their good skits for him. Skit after skit fell flat, with the only thing of value in most of them being performers doing their very best to salvage this mess. Keenan, Cecily, and Bowen all worked their butts off for material that really didn’t deserve it, but I’m grateful for their efforts anyway. Those three actually got stronger showcases than the host. Scarlett was fine. She didn’t have anything to work with, but she tried. Once again, Pete Davidson has to leave this show. It’s one thing to suck at sketch comedy, but what’s the point of having a cast member who is barely ever on the show? We’re not even halfway through this season, and the sporadic nature of his appearances has already been lampshaded several times by now. Granted, I’m not complaining about his absence, as he’s a total weak link, but it’s ridiculous that he’s allowed to stay on while contributing practically nothing. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a cast member get this kind of special treatment before, but Davidson definitely doesn’t deserve it. Anyway, while I’ve criticized the show for overusing Kate McKinnon in the past, this episode might’ve benefited from more of her. This episode was a good sign that she can be entertaining when she’s not constantly being shoved into your face. They just need to strike a balance between using her too much and only having her in two sketches (pretty sure she didn’t appear anymore than that last night). Also, the effects in that terrible stripper ghost song left a lot to be desired. Cecily’s head straight up disappeared when she leaned over (I saw they altered the effects in the YouTube version so that didn’t happen). And the Trump pug seemed to make the audience uncomfortable. Maybe it’s just because this version’s writing was worse than the first time they did it (although I can’t really remember if it was good or not then, as it’s been awhile), but the audience seemed to barely respond to it, not that they were giving big laughs to a lot of other sketches though. Overall, this episode just felt aimless. It’s one of the only times when I found myself way more interested in the musical guest than to the sketches. You’d think Colin Jost would’ve given Scarlett something better to work with. Hopefully next week is better, which I actually think it will be.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Forgot to mention this above, but the douchebag Baby Yoda on Weekend Update was one of the worst things Kyle Mooney’s ever done on this show, and while I don’t dislike him personally, some of his work on SNL is pretty weak. This brought back memories of when he played Pope Francis as a “bro”. Baby Yoda wasn’t quite as bad as that, since I could at least see what they were aiming for with this, while the Francis impersonation was so obviously barely thought out that it was just baffling. The idea of the Baby Yoda sketch wasn’t the worst thing in the world, but the execution was just so random and, much like a lot of the sketches this episode, aimless. Also, it had a major problem with the makeup. If you’re gonna make jokes about how Baby Yoda is cute, then don’t have an actor come out looking fucking terrifying as the character. And if the makeup looks terrifying, then lampshade it.

At least Bowen Yang made sure that one Weekend Update guest got laughs. I’m fairly certain nobody was expecting Chen Biao to be one of the best recurring elements of this season, but that’s where we’re at now. If there’s one thing SNL is doing right this year, it’s continually giving Bowen Yang more to do. Either that, or firing that one asshole who’s name I already forgot before he could even make his debut. Moving back to Yang, he’s clearly an extremely talented performer, and he has a special ability to get genuine laughs even when he’s in very bad sketches. A weaker actor would come across as annoying when trying to do what Yang does, but he’s able to rein in his energy just enough so that he never comes across as annoying. Yang’s definitely the best newcomer this show’s had in a long time. I just wish he was appearing in a stronger season.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

History is happening tonight!

Promo with Lizzo and Kenan:

https://youtu.be/XlQTzs4D8ys

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gatorman
    Topics:

History is happening tonight!

Promo with Lizzo and Kenan:

https://youtu.be/XlQTzs4D8ys

So excited!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

As a non-American, I can’t believe how much of my life I spent hearing this show was just the most important thing ever, and to watch it now and be gobsmacked by the how amateur it seems. The production is obviously amazing but a country that it meant to have the best entertainment industry in the world, can’t come up with stronger comedy week in week out is really surprising.

Saturday Night Live is not a consistently funny show. The first cast when it made its debut in 1975 was the strongest in my opinion. There were a number of casts that were strong too in the late 1980s and 1990s. There were flashes of brilliances after 2000.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

The episode’s not even over yet and I already want Eddie Murphy to win the Emmy.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

1/25: Adam Driver/Halsey

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

Lizzo is a thing why?

ReplyCopy URL

Eddie Murphy NEEDS to win an Emmy for this. It’ll be a disgrace if it doesn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

If Eddie Murphy doesn’t win an Emmy for this, I will be absolutely bamboozled. Best episode in a long time. I even said out loud “This is how it should be every week.” Alas, at least we have this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

PERFECTION! A+ SNL is on a roll lately.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

Eddie was amazing, and it was one of the all time best episodes of SNL. I’m usually not a fan of SNL hosts winning the emmy for guest, but I’ll support this one next year. Also, I love Maya Rudolph.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

1/25: Adam Driver and Halsey.

I have a question: Why is Driver hosting SNL for the third time, and why on this date?

NBC should’ve overruled Lorne Michaels here. Should’ve told him that five days after this date, the network’s flagship comedy series of this decade will have its final episode, and maybe the guest host should’ve been one of the stars from that show. Say, Kristen Bell?

One more example of how Michaels’ intransigence towards booking TV show hosts, even from his own goddamn network and out and out bias against them in favor of movie stars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

1/25: Adam Driver and Halsey.

I have a question: Why is Driver hosting SNL for the third time, and why on this date?

NBC should’ve overruled Lorne Michaels here. Should’ve told him that five days after this date, the network’s flagship comedy series of this decade will have its final episode, and maybe the guest host should’ve been one of the stars from that show. Say, Kristen Bell?

One more example of how Michaels’ intransigence towards booking TV show hosts, even from his own goddamn network and out and out bias against them in favor of movie stars.

. Or he thought “Adam has two or three buzzworthybmovies out and is a great host the past two times he has hosted.” Simple as that. Sorry but at this point the good place and it’s cast aren’t top gets and the show isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire with its last season if even the golden globes won’t nominate it….so why should Lorne care about it?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by vinny.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by vinny.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BamaEd
    Topics:

Finally watching this episode. The cold open was meh. But, I’m not a fan of SNL’s political stuff lately. I think because we get politics everywhere we go, having it be the backbone of SNL as well (instead of just one chapter) is just too much. Plus, it just wasn’t funny and Alec Baldwin’s Trump gets lazier and worse every week. They should have Darrell Hammond do it, his Trump was always so much better. But I just made it through Mister Robinson’s Neighborhood and loved it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 239 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.