Home Forums Television Slugfests 2019

Slugfests 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
Luca Giliberti
forwardswill
  • forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Jenrette took advantage of a flawed system to get herself completely undeserved recognition. I respect her hustle, but like c’mon. I’m not condoning some of the atrocious things users(trolls) put here, but let’s not act like we’re being too harsh in this case of an indefensible nomination.

This.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bridgian
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey Riley, just watched the comedy guest slugfest. Adam Scott was not previously nominated because he only appeared previously in season 1, when he was not submitted. This is his first time on the ballot for the series, where he has increased visibility on a show that is peaking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s the point of even having slugfests?

We apparently can’t discuss anything on this board about who deserves to win.

All these stupid Game of Thrones discussions and the Drama PREDICTIONS thread HIJACKED by the same 3-5 Game of Thrones only centric posters but I actually took the time to WATCH every damn female show full seasons of the series nominees and the submitted episodes from non and the thread with thousands of views and many responses gets deleted even though it was well reasoned, written, with no flaming or trolling.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 14 hours ago by  Andrea.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 14 hours ago by  Andrea.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

People can be so dramatic sometimes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

This last slugfest was great! Although I’m confused as to how vote splitting in Comedy Supporting Actress would help Betty Gilpin instead of Sarah Goldberg.

Also, Riley was making an argument against Phoebe Waller-Bridge in writing by saying that auteurs like Louie C.K and Donald Glover have historically lost to sweeps (Louie to Veep in 2015, Atlanta to Maisel last year), yet Aziz Ansari won for Master of None (without winning directing) twice during Veep’s series run.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom- “How dare he challenge you…defend yourself Joyce…you are the Queen!”

I’m dead 5 minutes in!

Riley went there!

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I’m confused as to how vote splitting in Comedy Supporting Actress would help Betty Gilpin instead of Sarah Goldberg.

I just do not think that Goldberg is really in this. She is good, but I do not know who comes out of Barry thinking that she is the standout. I suspect that a potential Barry sweep will be more along the lines of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel than Big Little Lies in its scope.

Riley was making an argument against Phoebe Waller-Bridge in writing by saying that auteurs like Louie C.K and Donald Glover have historically lost to sweeps (Louie to Veep in 2015, Atlanta to Maisel last year), yet Aziz Ansari won for Master of None (without winning directing) twice during Veep’s series run.

What I was trying to say was not that they have historically lost, but that they do not automatically win. There seems to be a perception that regardless of whether Veep, Barry or The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel wins series, Fleabag will win writing and I do not agree with that. I also think that Master of None would have lost to Veep in a two-way writing race between the two shows. Not only did Veep vote-split, but Master of None was the apple in the bag of oranges because the various Silicon Valley probably ate into Veep‘s support as opposed to Master of None‘s. I see Barry as the apple this year with its masculine and dramatic bents.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I just do not think that Goldberg is really in this. She is good, but I do not know who comes out of Barry thinking that she is the standout. I suspect that a potential Barry sweep will be more along the lines of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel than Big Little Lies in its scope.

I mean I am probably the exception but I have thought Goldberg has been the standout since the first season, and she has a compelling arc (which many thought was an improvement from last season) and a really juicy tape.

Barry is taking up half of the supporting actor category, and blocking out Michael Zegen or Zachary Levi from Maisel and more importantly, Andrew Scott from Fleabag. Barry got its whole ensemble in while Maisel and Fleabag missed out on some (To be fair, Maisel and Fleabag have larger ensembles but still)

The point is, if Barry has comparable support from the acting branch to that of Maisel and Fleabag, if not more, then I don’t see why Goldberg couldn’t pull of a win against two contenders from each Fleabag and Maisel who are vulnerable to vote-split.

What I was trying to say was not that they have historically lost, but that they do not automatically win. There seems to be a perception that regardless of whether Veep, Barry or The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel wins series, Fleabag will win writing and I do not agree with that. I also think that Master of None would have lost to Veep in a two-way writing race between the two shows. Not only did Veep vote-split, but Master of None was the apple in the bag of oranges because the various Silicon Valley probably ate into Veep‘s support as opposed to Master of None‘s. I see Barry as the apple this year with its masculine and dramatic bents.

I definitely agree with your analysis of the Master of None wins. I just mentioned it because neither you, Joyce or Tom brought up Aziz Ansari when you were discussing auteurs in the writing race.

But I’m not sure Barry would be an apple in the bag of oranges this year. First of all, there’s only one show that has two nominations and 6 total shows represented. This category is really all over the place.

The Good Place is a silly, existential high-concept comedy, Fleabag is a quirky modern love story, Barry is a dark and gritty hitman/showbiz dramedy, Veep is an absurd political satire, and Russian Doll is somehow a combination of these: existential, quirky, dark and absurd (and has two nominations). So if I were to pick an apple out of these oranges, I guess I would go with The Good Place because it is the lightest, but even that is a stretch, because this categories contains such different and unique shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like a lot of Barry fans consider Goldberg the standout, I don’t share the sentiment but I wouldn’t dismiss her so easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t watched but why would a vote split benefit either Gilpin or Goldberg before 6x nominee Anna Chlumsky? Forgive me if I’m asking prematurely, I’ll watch these later.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.