Home Forums Television Super Early 2021 Golden Globes Predictions

Super Early 2021 Golden Globes Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 468 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
hopelesstar
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Bit bold of people to assume the Limited Series Supporting Actress Emmy winner will get snubbed at the Globes when they haven’t snubbed the winner of that category since 2014 apart from once when they snubbed Regina King (who has never won a Television Globe) for one of the seasons of American Crime she won for.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

but I don’t even think it’s safe for Series nomination.

I disagree.

We’ve seen in the past how the Globes have gone left-field and given sweeps/near sweeps to shows that were nominated at the Emmys but barely made noise there (The Night Manager for example). With Watchmen out of the way I see the Emmys only gravitating to one of Mrs. America, The Undoing (unless it’s a flop) and Unorthodox for the win (unless The Queen’s Gambit ends up being undeniable). With Mrs. America being the most acclaimed Limited Series of the year so far, starring a HFPA darling, being potentially incredibly politically relevant and being literal HFPA bait I think not only is it safe for that nomination but it may also win Actress and Series here.

I mean it’s not as if it’s the first time a Hollywood A lister has won one of the winter awards without winning the Emmy. After all after losing the Emmy Sam Rockwell won at SAG over THE Emmy winner that year. With Blanchett being partly accredited for helping to start up the film season again by helping with the organisation of the Covid reduced Venice this year and with Mrs. America ironically being more popular abroad than it is in the States (i.e. when episodes aired of the show on TV it was trending on UK Twitter) I’d say her and the show are the frontrunners here (but like I said this may and probably will change depending on the reception of The Undoing and The Queen’s Gambit).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

The last time someone whose show aired in the Q1-Q2, whom then won the Emmy in Limited Supporting Actress, didn’t get a corresponding Globe nomination was Julie Ormond for Temple Grandin.

Even Kathy Bates got a Globe nom for Freak Show just on the strength of her Emmy win for Coven.

History is definitely on Uzo’s side for a nomination.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

At one point, you also have to be able to look past the stats and evaluate the situation. If the HFPA is going to choose a supporting gal from Mrs. America, I am betting on Rose Byrne, who fits their mold much more.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

what the hell is that?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

am betting on Rose Byrne, who fits their mold much more.

And what mold is that?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

And what mold is that?

Rose is a much bigger name than Uzo, she’s basically a co-lead, she’s a scene-stealer and her character is a feminist icon. I guess thats the mold Luca is refering to. I’m actually predicting both to get in.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Bingo!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Rose is a much bigger name than Uzo, she’s basically a co-lead, she’s a scene-stealer and her character is a feminist icon. I guess thats the mold Luca is refering to. I’m actually predicting both to get in.

I guess this is true but Uzo is also arguably more respected in the industry than Rose in terms of awards recognition and also when was the last time someone who got snubbed for the Emmy in the Limited/Movie categories got in at the Globes?

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I think it’s very likely Mrs America just gets Series and Blanchett in. Supporting Actress looks pretty stacked. They will likely finally nominate Garner considering her 2 emmys, both Anderson and Corrin look like strong bets, a Ratched actress might get in if they like the show, Annie Murphy is also possible if they have watched SC this year… Mrs America actresses look like afterthoughts to me.

Also I would like to mention the possibility of Fiona Shaw getting in aswell. They seem to like Killing Eve, s3 was her best season, she is british… They could drop Killing Eve from series and still nominate her (look at Yvonne Strahovski getting in for THT s2 despite the show getting dropped).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The question here is who wins Supporting Actress. At the moment I am betting on Anderson or Corrin but they can easily split (and as someone who was saying people were overestimating Strong/Cox splitting and Comer/Oh splitting this year and in 2019 I don’t say this simply because two actors from the same show getting nominated automatically means vote split or something like that).

There will likely finally nominate Garner considering her 2 emmys, both Anderson and Corrin look like strong bets,

To be fair though this is the Globes’ first chance to nominate her considering how they couldn’t nominate her after her Emmy win last year.

Also I would like to mention the possibility of Fiona Shaw getting in aswell. They seem to like Killing Eve, s3 was her best season, she is british… They could drop Killing Eve from series and still nominate her (look at Yvonne Strahovski getting in for THT s2 despite the show getting dropped).

I can see Shaw getting in but not as the fifth nominee to Murphy, Corrin, Anderson and Garner. I doubt the HFPA are going to snub an actress from a Limited Series when since 2017 the only actresses winning this category here have been from Limited Series.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

It’s way too early to say who will win. We haven’t even seen The Crown’s fourth season yet; it’s possible that one really stands out. I don’t see them nominating Schitt’s Creek in all four acting categories, so my bet is that Annie misses here. And who would they choose from Ratched? I would love them to go with Cynthia Nixon, but I don’t see that happening either. Normally I’d say Sharon Stone, but she barely had anything to do! So, yeah, this category is a bit of a mess.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think Julia can absolutely take it if neither one of Anderson or Corrin blows everyone away (kind of like how they denied both Streep and HBC earlier this year). I, too, think Buckley needs to be looked out for. Probably, my predicted lineup looks as follows:

1. Gillian Anderson (The Crown)
    2. Julia Garner (Ozark)
    3. Jessie Buckley (Fargo)
    4. Rose Byrne (Mrs. America)
    5. Emma Corrin (The Crown)

That fifth slot could really go to anyone, but before seeing the season, I will assume Corrin is enough of a presence to get in.

Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

Rose is a much bigger name than Uzo, she’s basically a co-lead, she’s a scene-stealer and her character is a feminist icon. 

I agree with the second, but Uzo is a scene stealer, she is playing a feminist AND civil rights icon and please, in what world is Rose Byrne a bigger name than Uzo Aduba?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But they apparently love it (the show in general) so it could still make it in.

I don’t see this idea that the HFPA love Fargo that people have. They didn’t give it any wins when it delivered one of the most acclaimed seasons of television in recent times and awarded Lady Gaga over Kirsten Dunst.

That being said I’m betting on either Buckley or Rigg (Black Narcissus) to be the ones from Limited Series who can win this category if anyone from a Limited Series beats Anderson or Corrin.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 468 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Golden Globes Predictions’ is closed to new replies.