Home Forums Television This WAS the Prediction Thread for the 2022 Golden Globes: TV

This WAS the Prediction Thread for the 2022 Golden Globes: TV

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 265 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Tyler The Awe..
Heptapod
  • Profile picture
    Benjamonster86
    Topics:

How do you know? What makes you an expert on this? You are not them, you have not met them. Maybe they are all the most qualified people for the job. I agree that it would not hurt for them to hire a couple of minorities into their voting demographic. What if a black person they hired thought that the worst movie of that year deserved to nominated for the Golden Globes?

I hope (pray) this is not your intent but your argument sounds like it’s fine for an 87 member body to not have a black person be part of it because a black person might just screw it up.

In order for diverse voices to be heard, they need to be let in the door. Period. If that’s not happening, changes need to be made.

My blog: http://benjamonsterstv.blogspot.com/

My site: https://peaktvdatabase.weebly.com/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

I’ll leave this tweet from Mark Harris here, since you need everything explained to you:

“The Hollywood Foreign Press Association is a corrupt and self-dealing organization and it needs Black people in it” is not really a sustainable argument. I think people may actually be underestimating how much trouble the Globes are in.

This isn’t about a simple “difference of opinion” or just how the HFPA rolls. “I May Destroy You” was one of the most significant and critically acclaimed series of 2020. For the Globes to dismiss it outright was beyond the pale, and many correctly stated that its all-white membership snubbed it on racist grounds. It not “appealing” to them isn’t the end of the story, and the organization was rightfully called out on it.

Those are still just words, and people have lied before on the Internet.

To you “I May Destroy You” is a significant series. That is your opinion. It’s not the HFPA’s opinion. Art is subjective, film is subjective, TV series are subjective.

I am sorry for my past behaviour. I am sorry for being a turd. I would like to try and be better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

Setting aside that making this “mistake” at all is absolutely embarrassing, she then went on to make up excuses, claiming she wanted to ask about Regina King’s directing snub, which 1) is a load of bull and 2) would have been such a ridiculous question to ask Daniel anyway. Then, she complained about Daniel, saying he should have been more respectful than we was, which, again, is a load of bull since he handled that situation better than he needed to. She’s no victim here. She fucked up, and should have just admitted to making that mistake. End of story. And no, they tell you exactly who is walking into press room, so she just messed up.

Okay that one person might be bad. But there are good and bad people in every group.

I am sorry for my past behaviour. I am sorry for being a turd. I would like to try and be better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Those are still just words, and people have lied before on the Internet.

To you “I May Destroy You” is a significant series. That is your opinion. It’s not the HFPA’s opinion. Art is subjective, film is subjective, TV series are subjective.

And your complete ignorance on the subject is just as telling.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

I hope (pray) this is not your intent but your argument sounds like it’s fine for an 87 member body to not have a black person be part of it because a black person might just screw it up.

In order for diverse voices to be heard, they need to be let in the door. Period. If that’s not happening, changes need to be made.

They might. I don’t know.

If they hire the right black people who are likeminded, then by all means they should hire them! I admit I could have worded it better. It’s all about hiring the right people, and it does not matter their skin colour. I apologize.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

And your complete ignorance on the subject is just as telling.

What’s so “ignorant” about saying art is subjective? It’s true.

Not everyone is going to like everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Benjamonster86
    Topics:

They might. I don’t know. If they hire the right black people who are likeminded, then by all means they should hire them! I admit I could have worded it better. It’s all about hiring the right people, and it does not matter their skin colour. I apologize.

I feel like I’m arguing with something living in the year 1981. “Likeminded” is EXACTLY the problem. I am not advocating for them to pull some black person off the street and ask them what TV shows or movies they like. But there are plenty of qualified people they could bring in who aren’t white and bringing in just 2 or 3 is not making any sort of wholesale change.

Representation matters. Diverse voices matter. If you claim to be evaluating art on merit and you are coming at it from one viewpoint (or one likeminded perspective as you may put it), then you don’t have the authority to be taken seriously as a body of members.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If they do end up bringing them back, I hope they actually get you know real foreign journalists to be a part of this group and not whomever some of these people were. It would be untruthful to say I have not appreciated some of their “surprises” in the past (like Rosamund Pike winning for I Care a Lot or her getting nominated for A Private War or how they were one of the few people to award Sally Hawkins for Happy Go Lucky). However one has to ask why a group like this has so much influence over who wins or gets nominated for awards if their members aren’t all even “members of the foreign press”. Regardless of what you think of them on a level of quality, the disregard for films or pieces of programming that feature poc and most specifically black leads that the industry as a whole is quite concerning. Especially those with “lesser known” leads. Can you imagine what would have happened to I May Destroy You awards wise or Yuh-jung Youn if SAG didn’t step in and award/nominate them? I swear if Bridgerton or Watchmen or Euphoria or When They See Us had white leads they would have dominated these awards. Small Axe is very deserving of recognition (and should be getting more of it) but I actually question if they even bothered to watch this show and didn’t just name check the most famous actor in it to a nomination and checked the show off due to being directed by an Oscar winner.

I have no issue with their surprise choices but it is quite frightening that a group skewed by racial bias, a desire to seek stars and whose judgement is tainted by studio bribes has been given so much industry influence. And this isn’t necessarily solely about their decisions awards wise. On a performer’s IMDB page or when they’re credited in a trailer for an upcoming project a Golden Globe nomination/win is given more value than an Emmy nomination/win! Critics Choice are problematic but no one gives them that significant amount of weight and are still able to respect their out of the box choices (I’m so glad underrated gems like The Plot Against America and Years and Years have some form of awards recognition!) It would be ludicrous for Michaela Coel’s Critics Choice nomination for I May Destroy You to be given more weight than her SAG nomination for the same show or her BAFTA win for Chewing Gum.

Anyway I’m not opposed to the Golden Globes returning as a televised award and for shows that may not get recognition elsewhere to be nominated but not only do they need serious reform (and of course not only for the reasons I’ve mentioned) but they also shouldn’t have more industry influence than actual industry and peer voted upon guilds and groups.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

I feel like I’m arguing with something living in the year 1981. “Likeminded” is EXACTLY the problem. I am not advocating for them to pull some black person off the street and ask them what TV shows or movies they like. But there are plenty of qualified people they could bring in who aren’t white and bringing in just 2 or 3 is not making any sort of wholesale change.

Representation matters. Diverse voices matter. If you claim to be evaluating art on merit and you are coming at it from one viewpoint (or one likeminded perspective as you may put it), then you don’t have the authority to be taken seriously as a body of members.

And I will never argue that diversity/representation does not matter.

How many would they have to bring in to make a change? Last year they awarded quite a few of non-white people for major awards including Chadwick Boseman and Andra Day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

And I will never argue that diversity/representation does not matter.

How many would they have to bring in to make a change? Last year they awarded quite a few of non-white people for major awards including Chadwick Boseman and Andra Day.

Awarding token POC winners this year does not absolve the HFPA of its long-seeded history of outright snubbing nonwhite talent and its all-white membership. Advocating against diversity in both the voting body and nominees is a terribly ignorant and racist viewpoint.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Benjamonster86
    Topics:

And I will never argue that diversity/representation does not matter. How many would they have to bring in to make a change? Last year they awarded quite a few of non-white people for major awards including Chadwick Boseman and Andra Day.

Awarding non-white people is not the same thing. I’m not going to put an exact number on it, that’s really not the point. If the body was diverse as a whole (and all real foreign journalists as wolfali said), the exact numbers wouldn’t matter.

Oh and by the way, making those changes only solves ONE problem for the HFPA. They also need to stop being so shady and corrupt, which has been known for a VERY long time.

That’s why it’s not worth it in my opinion. Let’s get a more reputable awards show that can have the same influence on the awards season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Let’s all stop responding to Tyler the Awesome Guy in this thread please they’re obviously not getting it and there’s nothing more to say.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Topics:

Let’s all stop responding to Tyler the Awesome Guy in this thread please they’re obviously not getting it and there’s nothing more to say.

No need to be woke, it’s “he”. And I am sorry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

That’s not surprising considering that user’s history.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Yikes this thread today

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 265 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.