Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
12 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Kaguya-hime
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That does seem like it could potentially lead to a Shalhoub win if he ends up in a field with 2 Barry nominees, 2 Ted Lasso nominees, 2 Atlanta nominees, and an SNL nominee. I also wouldn’t be surprised though if Ted Lasso just got a single supporting nomination in the category next year (we’re only predicting 3 because the year is empty), and if whoever it was won it.

If I’m honest, I don’t see 2 Atlanta nominees happening. I just think it will be Tyree Henry.

Do you think that Charlie Barnett will be in supporting again or will they upgrade him to lead (since he basically was a co-lead for the second half of the show after he was introduced).

I think he’ll probably stay in supporting and him and Annie Murphy will be the show’s big supporting pushes.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I think he’ll probably stay in supporting and him and Annie Murphy will be the show’s big supporting pushes.

I know you don’t have much faith in it. Don’t see why though. Stanfield is a rising star Oscar nominee after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know you don’t have much faith in it. Don’t see why though. Stanfield is a rising star Oscar nominee after all.

Just because you’re an Oscar nominee it doesn’t mean you get nominated for an Emmy lol.

Personally I just don’t see how Atlanta does so well when it couldn’t even win against Maisel when it was at a critical and visibility high. I still think it will get a bunch of nominations but it has to be undeniable imo for it to dominate in nominations or to be an upper tier win competitive contender. Especially when Barry, The Great and What We Do in the Shadows are all there as rising contenders, there are new shows like The Chair and even something like Maisel is there.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Betty S2 and Blindspotting are getting very good reviews, i know they are non factors but still.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Just because you’re an Oscar nominee it doesn’t mean you get nominated for an Emmy lol. Personally I just don’t see how Atlanta does so well when it couldn’t even win against Maisel when it was at a critical and visibility high. I still think it will get a bunch of nominations but it has to be undeniable imo for it to dominate in nominations or to be an upper tier win competitive contender. Especially when Barry, The Great and What We Do in the Shadows are all there as rising contenders, there are new shows like The Chair and even something like Maisel is there.

I think Barry and Atlanta are in pretty much exactly the same place. They’re well-respected and acclaimed shows that will drop their long-awaited third seasons, be hyped up as big contenders, be nominated across the board, and then ultimately lose almost every category to newer, more traditionally comedic contenders like Ted Lasso, The Great, What We Do in the Shadows, and maybe even some of the newer stuff like Schmigadoon! and The Chair (as well as maybe Russian Doll, I have no idea where they’ll go from Season 1 since the story seemed completely wrapped up). I think they have the passion for nominations, but I don’t think they have enough support to win big unless they make some changes from their second seasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

If Schmigadoon! is coming out in a month, why do we not have a teaser yet? Kevin Can F**k Himself got a trailer in February and Ted Lasso and Physical got trailers at the end of April.

Not sure, seeing as I watched the final cut of the complete season last week.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Barry and Atlanta are in pretty much exactly the same place.

Apart from the fact both are auteur shows I don’t see how they’re comparable awards wise even if they both do well or not.

I vastly prefer Atlanta to Barry (I do still very much like Barry don’t get me wrong!) and thought Donald Glover should have won for season 2 (I’m fine with Hader’s win though because he was also very deserving) but Atlanta lost comedy series, comedy actor, comedy s. actor and comedy directing in 2018 (each of which it was tipped to win) in spite of delivering one of the most critically acclaimed seasons of a comedy of all time (97 on Metacritic, nominated for 3 TCA awards. All whilst its “auteur” was essentially the king of pop culture (remember when “This is America” topped the Billboard charts). For me Atlanta‘s loss is like if Fleabag lost to Maisel or Barry or Schitt’s Creek lost to Maisel or Insecure last year. It feels like a sign of weakness rather than strength that the most acclaimed and buzzed about comedy of the year performed worse than not one but two shows in key above the line categories.

Barry on the other hand was facing Fleabag which was an unstoppable phenomenon that won TCA and like Atlanta the previous year and delivered one of the most acclaimed seasons of a comedy ever. Likewise Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the moment with a capital M. She was the executive producer and head writer on the first season of Killing Eve and Fleabag was already developing a lot of audience and critical buzz when its second season aired in the UK before it dropped on Amazon in the US in May of that year. Barry‘s loss to it is excusable considering it had very little chance in the first place at stopping Fleabag and any chance it did have evaporated completely the moment Bill Hader started actively campaigning for Phoebe Waller-Bridge during interviews lol. Likewise it had a bigger surge in nominations than Atlanta did (particularly with the actors branch) and Hader still won in spite of a competitive field.

I do still think both will do very well in nominations (especially in acting) but in light of this I feel like it’s evident that Barry is a far stronger show awards wise than Atlanta. It seems to have more audience backing than Atlanta does and it still performed quite well last time round at the Emmys in spite of not managing to overcome the titan that was Fleabag. I fear on the other hand that the fact Atlanta couldn’t overcome Maisel in series last time round or even overcome Barry in either actor or s. actor might suggest that it’s a show that is more respected than loved. A bit like Fargo.

I feel like someone like Zazie Beatz and Sarah Goldberg are in the same position in the sense that both deliver strong worthy supporting performances that don’t have enough passion to win over performances like Alex Borstein’s or Hannah Waddingham’s in spite of their shows arguably being stronger contenders. But other than that I don’t really see much crossover in the type of support both Atlanta and Barry have.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not sure, seeing as I watched the final cut of the complete season last week.

The show was included in Apple’s “coming soon” trailer back in February along with Physical and Lisey’s Story so I assume we’ll be getting a trailer for it very soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    emma
    Topics:

Without becoming a laughing stock, has anybody considered the Sex and the City reboot (or rather Cynthia Nixon’s performance in it because she is all it has going for it so far) for at least one nomination providing HBO submit it in comedy over limited series? Or do we think it’s something that will be completely overlooked?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As great as the original Sex and the City was I feel like it’s bound to be overlooked unless it’s somehow undeniable in quality. Reboots haven’t tended to land here (see Will and Grace in a much weaker field) as well as one would think they would considering the Emmy history of their original runs and I feel like the television landscape has shifted so much that there is simply no way they’ll have the same pop cultural influence or reach that they used to have back in the day.

With so many established shows (i.e. AtlantaBarryMaiselTed Lasso), shows that could be or are arguably on the rise awards wise (<i>The Great</i>, HacksWhat We Do in the Shadows) and newcomers (e.g. Schmigadoon‘, <i>The Chair</i>) in this race I just don’t see any room for it. Same applies to the Ally McBeal and Frasier reboots.

I do think though that the visibility could help Cynthia Nixon’s chances for The Gilded Age on the drama side.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When she comes for her Emmy. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

PEN15, What We Do in the Shadows, and Russian Doll duking it out to find out who the writing-backed nominee will be.

Fighting

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Unless it ends up being an undeniable frontrunner like Succession, I don’t see What We Do in the Shadows getting acting nominations so easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

When she comes for her Emmy.

If getting them only their 2nd major Bafta (after Kirby) isn’t motivation for Netflix to push Sex Education, then I don’t know what will.

Aimee Lou

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Kind of in love with my current prediction lineup for series. This would be SUCH a strong group.

Atlanta
    Barry
    The Flight Attendant
    The Great
    Insecure
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Russian Doll
    Ted Lasso

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.