Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 518 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Kaguya-hime
  • Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

Definitely not saying Insecure will pull a Fleabag or a Schitt’s Creek. More that Issa Rae I see as top 3 at least, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see her take home Lead Actress – but that’s the only potential win I’d predict for it.

That sounds like kinda dramatic Tom

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I don’t think there’s much of an argument for Applegate being that high. Dead to Me underperformed a ton in 2020, and I don’t think it’s anywhere near loved enough for a final season narrative to matter.

The actors REALLY do like Dead to Me, though. It’s essentially a two-woman show, and it got nominated in SAG ensemble. And even people/organizations that aren’t as big of fans of it (the Globes, Critics Choice) have still singled out Applegate. I’m not expecting it to get back into Series, but I don’t see Applegate being snubbed, even if she’s not win-competitive.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What else helps Applegate is that Dead to Me is going to have a lot more recency than some of these contenders. That combined with her final season narrative, strategic ballot placement alphabetically and the fact she seems to be someone who isn’t reliant on the strength of her show makes me think she’s in.

I feel like the strength of a show in series and its strength in acting is being conflated on these early threads too much. This isn’t the Oscars. Sure there are shows like Maisel that have lots of support from the actors branch which helps put them a peg higher of other contenders in series but shows like Killing Eve and Ozark are much stronger series contenders than Euphoria yet we saw what happened last year in Drama Actress. The Morning Show got almost double the amount of acting nominations that The Handmaid’s Tale received last year yet it still missed series. I agree with Heptapod that Dead to Me will probably miss series considering it wasn’t that strong a series contender to begin with (i.e. it missed writing and directing, isn’t a strong contender below the line, missed for James Marsden) but I see no reason for why Applegate should suddenly be out of the running.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I haven’t been following this thread closely but where is the Sandra Oh/The Chair confidence coming from? Is there tea we know about or are people just hopeful that it’ll be good?

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

I haven’t been following this thread closely but where is the Sandra Oh/The Chair confidence coming from? Is there tea we know about or are people just hopeful that it’ll be good?

I mean she’s pretty unambiguously the sole female lead unlike KE where she’s always got internal competition with Jodie. But do we not think The Chair will complete in limited?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Milo Maisel

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Milo Maisel

Didn’t even began yet but I’m rooting for those two

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Milo Maisel

Huns those two talented beautiful humans are coming.

When the dog coattails and gets a guest actor nomination too…

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Talking about Insecure, I can see it pull Writing and Actress with another Series nomination and Supporting Actress. I feel like Issa Rae can do what Matthew Rhys did with The Americans final season (yeah, that SAG snub is included). However, she needs more than just buzz because the lineup will be crowded as hell.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Betty S2 and Blindspotting are getting very good reviews, i know they are non factors but still.

Hate that for Betty, such an underrated gem.

Can’t comment on Blindspotting but apparently Jasmine Cephas Jones is excellent in it.

Profile picture
    Antony Mathews
    Topics:

she i’s a Hollywood star!

Emmy FYC: Basically no one because everyone who was my FYC was snubbed. Anyway, I May Destroy You for victory in each category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She’s about to become the Lisa Kudrow of the Schitt’s Creek cast and become a television queen of comedy lol.

Profile picture
    mooreda
    Topics:

Does Love, Victor have any chances? This second season was a very solid and well executed season!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Talking about Insecure, I can see it pull Writing and Actress with another Series nomination and Supporting Actress. I feel like Issa Rae can do what Matthew Rhys did with The Americans final season (yeah, that SAG snub is included). However, she needs more than just buzz because the lineup will be crowded as hell.

Never say never with writing but what helped The Americans was that it was already an established writers branch favourite. It had three prior Emmy nominations for writing and WGA nominations (including one wins) before its win. So a win/nomination in that category for Insecure would be a different situation.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Cmon Now

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories’ is closed to new replies.