Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 518 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Kaguya-hime
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

On that, is the Sex and The City reboot limited or comedy? (not that I predict it but someone might)

Comedy as its original characters are returning (the academy adjusted their roles two years ago which forced The Sinner and AHS : Apocalypse to compete in drama).

The same applies to Dexter which will be competing in drama.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I also can’t see …And Just Like That sticking with just the one season if it’s a success.

FYC: Cecily! MJ! Maya! Winslet!

Profile picture
    Matthew Porter
    Topics:

Does Love, Victor have any chances? This second season was a very solid and well executed season!

Leaning towards no, while it’s a nice show, it’s painfully average. Plus its release date isn’t doing it any favors.

Profile picture
    Matthew Porter
    Topics:

When do we think “The Great” S2 will come out? It had a bad release date last year but still managed to get in Writing and Directing. I think if the second season is good, it could build some momentum to get across the board noms.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When do we think “The Great” S2 will come out? It had a bad release date last year but still managed to get in Writing and Directing. I think if the second season is good, it could build some momentum to get across the board noms.

My guess is the Autumn.

I agree that it will probably do better next time round. The fact it was nominated at SAG (in spite of its own limitations in terms of traditional SAG appeal) over Emmy players from the previous season and did so well in nominations at WGA tells me that with a better release date and more hype (which it does have thanks to it having found its audience) that it could be a major contender next time round.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Matthew Porter
    Topics:

My guess is the Autumn. I agree that it will probably do better next time round. The fact it was nominated at SAG (in spite of its own limitations in terms of traditional SAG appeal) over Emmy players from the previous season and did so well in nominations at WGA tells me that with a better release date and more hype (which it does have thanks to it having found its audience) that it could be a major contender next time round.

I agree! I absolutely loved the first season. It reminded me of why I loved Veep so much, so I hope it gets more. Its solid nominations at the Globes, WGA, SAG, etc bode well for its future for sure.

Profile picture
    Rich Landry
    Topics:

I am curious why everyone has season two of the Flight Attendant so high on their lists. Correct me if I am wrong, season one was based on the book so the next season will be going off the source material. I am wondering if season two ends up like Big Little Lies especially with the amount of competition coming back next year.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I am curious why everyone has season two of the Flight Attendant so high on their lists. Correct me if I am wrong, season one was based on the book so the next season will be going off the source material. I am wondering if season two ends up like Big Little Lies especially with the amount of competition coming back next year.

During press junkets, Cuoco said that S2 was in development at the same time as S1. Whilst BLL was never intended for a second season until the success of S1, if anything, TFA2 should be more similar to THT2 (also went off-book after S1) than BLL2.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Big Little Lies had a BTS controversy that resulted in a backlash, switched categories, had a two year break off air and aired as soon as the eligibility window opened. The Flight Attendant is going to be airing close to the deadline so if it under-performs it probably would be a different situation to Big Little Lies.

I have it and Hacks high at the moment because we’ve seen recently that when a show is top 2/3 in a category, they tend to still get nominated in spite of having a more average season and there being lots of competition. The Flight Attendant arguably performed the third best at the guilds of all comedies last year (after Ted Lasso and Schitt’s Creek) so I don’t see it falling so low in the rankings unless it delivers a Westworld s3 esque season in reception.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Deuxmois’ rumoured release dates for Sex Education season 3 (October), Ozark season 4 (February) and Stranger Things season 4 (March) would suggest that their bigger productions are taking seven months to finish post-production, dubbing and pre-release marketing which is longer than most of them usually do.

So Dead to Me is probably going to premiere in March/April  (close to its usual slot) considering it’s set to finish shooting this August. Season 1 of Russian Doll started shooting in February 2018 and premiered in February the following year. It will be interesting to see if it will follow the same pattern and premiere in March next year or if the show will go to the summer due to Netflix having so many contenders already and the fact that Covid is adding two to three months on top of each of these productions  (I hope it makes eligibility because season 1 was my personal awards winner and it would be really nice to see Natasha Lyonne have her own PWB moment at the Emmys).

Bridgerton season 1 filmed from July 2019 to February 2020 and was released in December. Like Stranger Things it seems to be a show that Netflix schedules a premiere for based more on commercial gains than awards visibility so it will probably miss eligibility and premiere in the Summer. Especially if it follows the same shooting –> release schedule as Stranger Things, Ozark and Sex Education have.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The only nomination I can see for The Flight Attendant in the future is Kaley Cuoco.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

The only nomination I can see for The Flight Attendant in the future is Kaley Cuoco.

I doubt she’d make it if the show loses the rest of its above-the-line support. She’ll be in a really competitive category.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I think Dead to Me should be safe for Comedy Series. Yes, I understand that people think it unperformed the last time (it actually over-performed from one nomination to four), but it’s a show that is clearly being watched by the actors branch (three SAG nominations, hello) so it can make the cut.

I also think the show’s final season will not disappoint. It’d be a true crime if Applegate would once again lose for playing this fascinating character.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think Dead to Me should be safe for Comedy Series. Yes, I understand that people think it unperformed the last time (it actually over-performed from one nomination to four), but it’s a show that is clearly being watched by the actors branch (three SAG nominations, hello) so it can make the cut.

I think everybody means “underperformed” in what it was expected to do (Marsden, Writing, more crafts etc) versus what it actually got.

Which it’s Emmys performance is all the more strange because it had a pretty fantastic Winter Guild run immediately after (ADG, CAS, MPSE, MUAHS, SAGx3, WGA).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Dead to Me failed to make writing in spite of winning one of the episodic categories at WGA. It does have a lot of actors branch support but it is far from a lock in series when it’s competing in such a competitive field and pretty much every returning show has more across the board support.

Applegate on the other hand is very safe and could even win depending on how good the season is. But Christina watch out for Sandra!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories’ is closed to new replies.