Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 518 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Kaguya-hime
  • Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Please feel free to point out anything I should change

Comedy Series

1. Ted Lasso (runner-up)
    2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Barry
    4. Atlanta
    5. The Great (winner)
    6. Hacks
    7. What We Do in the Shadows
    8. Schmigadoon!

9. Russian Doll
    10. The Flight Attendant
    11. Only Murders in the Building
    12. Insecure

Comedy Writing

1. The Great (winner)
    2. Ted Lasso
    3. What We Do in the Shadows (runner-up)
    4. Hacks
    5. Barry
    6. Atlanta
    7. What We Do in the Shadows

8. Russian Doll
    9. PEN15
    10. Atlanta
    11. Only Murders in the Building

Comedy Directing

1. Ted Lasso
    2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Barry
    4. Atlanta
    5. The Great (runner-up)
    6. Schmigadoon! (winner)
    * Something multicam

7. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    8. Barry
    9. Ted Lasso
    10. Atlanta

Comedy Actress

1. Jean Smart, Hacks (runner-up)
    2. Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Elle Fanning, The Great (winner)
    4. Christina Applegate, Dead to Me
    5. Cecily Strong, Schmigadoon!
    6. Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll

7. Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
    8. Issa Rae, Insecure
    9. Natasia Demetriou, What We Do in the Shadows
    10. Selena Gomez, Only Murders in the Building

Comedy Actor

1. Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (winner)
    2. Bill Hader, Barry
    3. Donald Glover, Atlanta
    4. Nicholas Hoult, The Great (runner-up)
    5. Keegan-Michael Key, Schmigadoon!
    6. Steve Martin, Only Murders in the Building

7. Matt Berry, What We Do in the Shadows
    8. Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building
    9. Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
    10. Don Cheadle, Black Monday

Comedy Supporting Actress

1. Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso (winner)
    2. Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Sarah Goldberg, Barry
    4. Zazie Beetz, Atlanta
    5. Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
    6. Ego Nwodim, Saturday Night Live
    7. Kristin Chenoweth, Schmigadoon! (runner-up)
    8. Juno Temple, Ted Lasso

9. Annie Murphy, Russian Doll
    10. Chloe Fineman, Saturday Night Live
    11. Yvonne Orji, Insecure
    12. Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Comedy Supporting Actor

1. Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (winner)
    2. Henry Winkler, Barry
    3. Bowen Yang, Saturday Night Live
    4. Anthony Carrigan, Barry (runner-up)
    5. Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    6. Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    7. Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live
    8. Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso

9. Lakeith Stanfield, Atlanta
    10. Alan Cumming, Schmigadoon!
    11. Charlie Barnett, Russian Doll
    12. Nick Mohammed, Ted Lasso

I’m a bit concerned about how little I’m predicting Netflix, but Russian Doll feels like something that could be easily crowded out by buzzier new shows, Dead to Me underperformed a ton, and the main reason why people are predicting The Chair seems to be just hoping Sandra Oh gets an Emmy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m interested in your Schmigadoon‘ confidence. I’m excited for it but the show can easily come and go and get ignored as other new projects and established favourites return later in the season.

If you have The Great as your pick for series then I’d advise slotting in Phoebe Fox as well. When actors like a show they tend to go all out for it. This applies to any other show this season. If actors end up going all out for What We Do in the Shadows, I’ll consider it to be a contender for the win. Same with BarryThe ChairRussian DollHacks etc.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

There’s no such thing as “underpredicting” or “overpredicting” a show when we don’t know nothing about it — it if it’s gonna be an audience hit or critically acclaimed, per example. At this point we are all throwing our wild guesses and there’s no space for judgement.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

11. Charlie Barnett, Russian Doll

He was robbed for S1. Hoping he can be the Carrigan/Hinkle supporting player uptick for the show, if S2 is as good as S1.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I’m interested in your Schmigadoon‘ confidence. I’m excited for it but the show can easily come and go and get ignored as other new projects and established favourites return later in the season. If you have The Great as your pick for series then I’d advise slotting in Phoebe Fox as well. When actors like a show they tend to go all out for it. This applies to any other show this season. If actors end up going all out for What We Do in the Shadows, I’ll consider it to be a contender for the win. Same with Barry, The Chair, Russian Doll, Hacks etc.

Schmigadoon’s trailer looks great, it has an amazing cast (Strong in particular seems like someone the Emmys will want to nominate again next year), and Barry Sonnenfeld is a big name who won for his other series with Chenoweth. Ted Lasso being big will likely help raise other Apple TV contenders’ visibility, and Schmigadoon! seems unique enough to stand out.

I’ll consider Fox, but that is a really competitive field.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Schmigadoon’s trailer looks great, it has an amazing cast (Strong in particular seems like someone the Emmys will want to nominate again next year), and Barry Sonnenfeld is a big name who won for his other series with Chenoweth. Ted Lasso being big will likely help raise other Apple TV contenders’ visibility, and Schmigadoon! seems unique enough to stand out.

These are all strong points but I guess my own scepticism around the show is due to it being too short? It’s a 6 part series that finishes airing before the middle of August. I worry it might be forgotten.

I’m looking forward to it though! Strong deserves a strong (pun unintended) vehicle.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I believe Atlanta will only get Glover in. The hiatus probably has cooled down the interest for the show.

Comedy Series:
    1- Ted Lasso
    2- Barry
    3- Hacks
    4- What We do in the Shadows
    5- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    6- Insecure
    7- Russian Doll
    8- The Great

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
    1- Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso
    2- Bill Hader – Barry
    3- Anthony Anderson – Black-ish
    4- Nicholas Hoult – The Great
    5- Donald Glover – Atlanta
    6- Will Forte – MacGruber

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
    1- Jean Smart – Hacks
    2- Issa Rae – Insecure
    3- Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4- Elle Fanning – The Great
    5- Natasha Lyonne – Russian Doll
    6- Christina Applegate – Dead to Me

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
    1- Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2- Bowen Yang – Saturday Night Live
    3- Henry Winkler – Barry
    4- Anthony Carrigan – Barry
    5- Brendan Hunt – Ted Lasso
    6- Nick Mohammed – Ted Lasso
    7- Brett Goldstein – Ted Lasso
    8- Milo Ventimiglia – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
    1- Hannah Waddingham – Ted Lasso
    2- Sarah Goldberg – Barry
    3- Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4- Annie Murphy – Russian Doll
    5- Juno Temple – Ted Lasso
    6- Hannah Einbinder – Hacks
    7- Yvonne Oriji – Insecure
    8- Meg Stalter – Hacks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think it will get into series and actor but yeah I’m also sceptical about Atlanta. It essentially performed like The Handmaid’s Tale s2 on the comedy side that year in spite of having one of the most acclaimed seasons of a comedy ever. Losing the series award to Maisel/GoT is understandable but losing key awards to Barry/The Crown and The Americans is not.

I think it will perform better than the third season of <i>The Handmaid’s Tale</i> (it’s arguably more respected and unless it takes a big dive in quality, will be more acclaimed) but with so many established favourites returning, shows that seem like they’re on the rise like The Great and What We Do in the Shadows as well as the few new shows we have… I’m unsure how easy it will be for its supporting players to get in. I feel like it also doesn’t have the advantage of being as distinctive as it was due to being auteur driven with InsecureBarry and Russian Doll likely in contention (this is also why I think something like Shadows or The Great could end up emerging as a frontrunner).

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I believe Atlanta will only get Glover in. The hiatus probably has cooled down the interest for the show. Comedy Series: 1- Ted Lasso 2- Barry 3- Hacks 4- What We do in the Shadows 5- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 6- Insecure 7- Russian Doll 8- The Great Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: 1- Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso 2- Bill Hader – Barry 3- Anthony Anderson – Black-ish 4- Nicholas Hoult – The Great 5- Donald Glover – Atlanta 6- Will Forte – MacGruber Lead Actress in a Comedy Series 1- Jean Smart – Hacks 2- Issa Rae – Insecure 3- Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 4- Elle Fanning – The Great 5- Natasha Lyonne – Russian Doll 6- Christina Applegate – Dead to Me Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series 1- Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 2- Bowen Yang – Saturday Night Live 3- Henry Winkler – Barry 4- Anthony Carrigan – Barry 5- Brendan Hunt – Ted Lasso 6- Nick Mohammed – Ted Lasso 7- Brett Goldstein – Ted Lasso 8- Milo Ventimiglia – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: 1- Hannah Waddingham – Ted Lasso 2- Sarah Goldberg – Barry 3- Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel 4- Annie Murphy – Russian Doll 5- Juno Temple – Ted Lasso 6- Hannah Einbinder – Hacks 7- Yvonne Oriji – Insecure 8- Meg Stalter – Hacks

No matter how weak Atlanta is, it won’t be so weak that Donald Glover ends up behind Anthony Anderson. That’s a massive overreaction.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Still unsure of whether Barry, House of the Dragon, and the Lakers project will make it in time.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Ted Lasso

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s just the way we’re only one month into eligibility for this season and there are already three win worthy performances in Comedy Actress.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Urgh, Feel Good should be having a Fleabag moment, it’s that good.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Come on writers branch!

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Feel Good >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Master of Snooze Season 3

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder if one of The Chair, Only Murders in the Building or Schmigadoon’ will be another Breeders (show with built in pedigree, produced by Emmy winners/nominees that just ends up going nowhere). Of course there are your Maisels and Ted Lassos that just become so big in audience visibility that they breakthrough in their first seasons and win but unless you’re a Netflix/HBO show or are kept firmly in the critical conversation (like Atlanta) it seems to have become more and more difficult as time has gone by to get into series. Comedy series nominees tend to have a lot of audience goodwill for them (hence why right now I am predicting an entire line-up of shows that are in their second seasons or older) which isn’t as much of a case in drama.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Comedy Categories’ is closed to new replies.