Home Forums Television Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Drama Categories

Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Drama Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
katiebstate
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I hate to say this because they were my personal winner and runner up in actress last year but unless one of their shows win drama series, I struggle to see any narrative for Aniston or Linney to win. I guess you could argue one of them could be undeniable for the win but that was arguably Linney’s case last year and we saw what happened. They both feel like they’ll have better chances for their final seasons. Assuming neither The Morning Show or Ozark wins series then I think we could end up with a race between Baranski and Oh. The former very much feels like she could be this year’s Gillian Anderson (well respected veteran in a high profile who is arguably overdue a second Emmy) whilst the latter’s overdue narrative will only be strengthened by this being her show’s final season and by potentially having further buzz from The Chair. It helps both that their shows will also have more recency buzz than at least Aniston’s.

Baranski will probably take it imo. I don’t think Oh is that strong. She already lost despite her narrative. I’m not even sure she’d get nominated if a second new show breaks into the category, since I’m pretty sure that Zendaya, Linney, Aniston, and Baranski (if her show is good) would be ahead of her, and Comer probably has more passionate support at this point.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’d argue the idea that Comer is definitely ahead is baseless. That definitely was the case for season 2 but now that Comer has already won there seems to be much less of a drive to award her. Sure she got in at BAFTA again but her performance is very friendly under BAFTA’s voting system. We just saw Samira Wiley get in over Ann Dowd and Yvonne Strahovski so Oh could very easily be ahead of Comer.

I think both are fairly safe for nominations though (unless Killing Eve season 4 ends up getting panned or something like Westworld). Outside of maybe Witherspoon who else even is there to bump them out? Whilst I won’t predict such a thing because Euphoria seems to have grown in popularity, I don’t think it’s impossible for Oh and Comer to end up being ahead of Zendaya. Zendaya could be another Rami Malek in that she’s a top contender once she gets nominated but the nomination is very much the hurdle.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Rooting for Baranski, Oh and the “underdog” Pike as of right now.
    We’ll see how this looks a year from now.

Also Katja Herbers for Evil, one episode and she already knocked out of the park

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

How I’m ranking the contenders as of right now.

DRAMA SERIES:
    Succession
    Ozark
    Better Call Saul
    The Gilded Age
    The Morning Show
    The Lord of the Rings
    Killing Eve
    Stranger Things

Bridgerton
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    This Is Us
    Euphoria
    Severance

DRAMA ACTOR:
    Jeremy Strong in Succession
    Brian Cox in Succession
    Jason Bateman in Ozark
    Sterling K. Brown in This Is Us
    Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul
    Adam Scott in Severance

Jeff Bridges in The Old Man
    Milo Ventimiglia in This Is Us
    Jonathan Bailey in Bridgerton
    Oscar Isaac in Moon Knight

DRAMA ACTRESS:
    Zendaya in Euphoria
    Laura Linney in Ozark
    Jennifer Aniston in The Morning Show
    Jodie Comer in Killing Eve
    Sandra Oh in Killing Eve
    Christine Baranski in The Gilded Age

Patricia Arquette in Severance
    Rosamund Pike in The Wheel of Time
    Elisabeth Moss in The Handmaid’s Tale
    Uma Thurman in Suspicion

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    Billy Crudup in The Morning Show
    Matthew Macfadyen in Succession
    Kieran Culkin in Succession
    Giancarlo Esposito in Better Call Saul
    Joseph Mawle in The Lord of the Rings
    Nicholas Braun in Succession
    Jonathan Banks in Better Call Saul
    Morgan Spector in The Gilded Age

Steve Carell in The Morning Show
    David Harbour in Stranger Things
    Mark Duplass in The Morning Show
    Bradley Whitford in The Handmaid’s Tale
    Justin Hartley in This Is Us

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    Julia Garner in Ozark
    Sarah Snook in Succession
    Julianna Margulies in The Morning Show
    Carrie Coon in The Gilded Age
    Cynthia Nixon in The Gilded Age
    Morfydd Clark in The Lord of the Rings
    Hunter Schafer in Euphoria
    Fiona Shaw in Killing Eve

Samira Wiley in The Handmaid’s Tale
    Nicola Coughlan in Bridgerton
    J. Smith-Cameron in Succession
    Rhea Seehorn in Better Call Saul
    Millie Bobby Brown in Stranger Things

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

I’d argue the idea that Comer is definitely ahead is baseless. That definitely was the case for season 2 but now that Comer has already won there seems to be much less of a drive to award her. Sure she got in at BAFTA again but her performance is very friendly under BAFTA’s voting system. We just saw Samira Wiley get in over Ann Dowd and Yvonne Strahovski so Oh could very easily be ahead of Comer.

If there is something baseless is this notion that people are done with Comer and now are going to vote for Oh. Jodie keeps getting in everywhere (Emmy, Bafta, GG), while Sandra is an afterthought, only managing to get in at the Emmys this days, probably due to the unlimited ballot. There is no way she is getting more votes than Comer, let alone overcome a vote split on a stacked field.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Jodie keeps getting in everywhere (Emmy, Bafta, GG),

BAFTA TV uses a different voting system to the Emmys (and have a disproportionate bias against performers who aren’t British) and the Golden Globes are useless in trying to decipher who is ahead in lead categories at the Emmys (i.e. they nominated Reese Witherspoon over Zendaya, awarded Brian Cox whilst snubbing Jeremy Strong, awarded Richard Madden over Billy Porter).

Had Comer gotten in at the Critics Choice or SAG this season then I’d agree with you that she’s easily ahead of Oh but she didn’t. With Oh likely having the stronger narrative next time round and being “the under awarded one” of this duo I don’t think it’s implausible for her to be ahead.

let alone overcome a vote split on a stacked field.

Just because a show has two performances competing in one category it doesn’t mean they are 100% going to vote-split. Regardless of whether Oh wins or not, I feel like we’ve been through this on these threads for the past few years where people have assumed that two buzzy performances will split on the virtue of them being nominated in the same field yet that hasn’t stopped the likes of Aduba, Comer, Strong, Jones or Abdul-Mateen from winning.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If The Boys finally breaks through this year à la What We Do in the Shadows last year in comedy, how well do you guys think it will perform next season (I believe this upcoming season is its last no?)

Profile picture
    bantigauti
    Topics:

I think ‘This is us’  might not be eligible for 2022 Emmy’s.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

It will be its returning in January

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

If The Boys finally breaks through this year à la What We Do in the Shadows last year in comedy, how well do you guys think it will perform next season (I believe this upcoming season is its last no?)

I don’t think so. All I’ve heard is they “have an ending in sight”. I wanna say Kripke said on a podcast maybe 5-6 seasons but I could be wrong. And they’re adding to their cast not knuckling down to an ending.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

If The Boys finally breaks through this year à la What We Do in the Shadows last year in comedy, how well do you guys think it will perform next season (I believe this upcoming season is its last no?)

I don’t think it will be ready on time for this season, maybe for the 2023 Emmys.

Eric Kripke has said he has plans for 5 seasons.

But to answer your question, I believe Starr could break in like Thomas Middleditch for Silicon Valley, but I see no hope for the rest of the cast, considering Aya Cash won’t be returning.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I think we have to be hesitant with shows that break through this year. Drama, especially, is just so, so weak. When things go back to normal next year, I feel like some of the shows we’re considering this year won’t even be in the conversation lol.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

I think we have to be hesitant with shows that break through this year. Drama, especially, is just so, so weak. When things go back to normal next year, I feel like some of the shows we’re considering this year won’t even be in the conversation lol.

I agree. There are so many big shows.

Among other things, I do not comprehend how people think voters are going to go from giving Game of Thrones nine above the line nominations in a season that was not well received and almost none of the cast campaigned to zero in House of The Dragon unless you think they have that level of deep undying love for the individual actors.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The Boys received a WGA nomination in Drama Series, though. It has support across the board. The same for Bridgerton in DGA and SAG Ensemble.

If you ask me, Pose is the show to benefit from a weak field this season, since it didn’t make last season.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

Can someone help with creating list of shows outside of current contenders that are new and going to be eligible for 2022 please? I feel like there’s probably about a dozen?

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2022 Predictions: Emmy Drama Categories’ is closed to new replies.