Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 498 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
ginnala
Stegeo
Luca Giliberti
  • Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Why must women always be compared to each other in a way men never are? Both Dern and Streep were outstanding. In particular though I’d like to address the notion that the latter was one note. Simply watching the scene of her in court in the finale is enough to disprove that.

I mean, when you’re talking about awards and who you personally feel is deserving of being nominated and winning, comparisons obviously come into play.

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

Why must women always be compared to each other in a way men never are?

If a show has multiple contenders then comparisons are bound to happen, irrespective of gender. Brown and Ventimiglia, Dinklage and Waldau or Schnapp and Harbour…..this is nothing new. Dern and Streep are the current frontrunners from the shows that have aired so..

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Neither of Dern or Streep are winning anyway.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I’m being sort of hypocritical given that I just compared Dern and Streep but it is true that they’re compared much more often than male contenders from the same series. In fact, the disparity last year between the discussions of Comer/Oh, the GOT ladies, and Colman/Clifford always coming up and male contenders of the same series barely getting a peep is concerning. Even if I prefer Dern, I don’t think that Streep is one note and she was outstanding with what she was given. It is of note though that regardless of our own opinions, plenty of voters will inherently compare Dern to Streep and prefer Dern, which will effect both of their chances.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean, when you’re talking about awards and who you personally feel is deserving of being nominated and winning, comparisons obviously come into play.

No problem with comparisons. Just think it is unnecessarily petty to make out like one performance has to be bad in order to highlight how good another is. Both are allowed to be good. E.g. I’ve never considered Sandra Oh Emmy-worthy but I don’t need to slate her performance just to justify Comer.

If a show has multiple contenders then comparisons are bound to happen, irrespective of gender. Brown and Ventimiglia, Dinklage and Waldau or Schnapp and Harbour…..this is nothing new. Dern and Streep are the current frontrunners from the shows that have aired so..

I don’t see anyone around here passionately condemning the performances of anyone in male pairings and certainly not in those examples given. I mean c’mon Dinklage and Waldau?! I wouldn’t even know who this forum preferred out of those two let alone seen people tear either of them down.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Everyone’s out here overreacting about Streep vs Dern meanwhile I’m remembering the performance Shailene gave in episode 2, specifically the moment in Ziggys bedroom where she tells him the truth about his father. Quite honestly that was the most memorable moment of the season for me and probably the best acted. It sucks that Woodley is overlooked not only because she didn’t get enough screen time but also because her character is more internalized, to me she gives the most human performance of the entire cast

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Neither of Dern or Streep are winning anyway.

All depends on the end of year awards. If Streep wins the Globe and Critics Choice then gets nominated at SAG she’ll mark herself as the preference over Dern so could definitely overcome votesplitting at the Emmys. That said, as long as both are getting nominated I’m betting on HBC all the way.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

They could’ve easily given her the Guest Actress win but they decided to reward someone who’s already won multiple Emmys she’s not happening over stronger competition next year even if she has better material. Oh had a whole narrative going for her being overdue and becoming the first Asian actress to win in that category and she didn’t even have enough support to block her costar from winning who wasn’t even nominated last year.

But her SNL appearance wasn’t win-worthy either. You’re discounting how important the actual performances are. I haven’t even seen Killing Eve season 2 but Comer was so obviously better than Oh in season 1 and everyone says the gap between them widened even more in the second season. All I’m saying is that the statement ‘Oh isn’t liked enough’ is wrong. She is liked enough to win, but only for deserving material. What she doesn’t have is the industry respect that people like Jones/Martindale etc have who will attract votes regardless of performance, but that’s besides the point. And narratives clearly don’t matter that much considering Rashad couldn’t even beat Jones.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

But her SNL appearance wasn’t win-worthy either. You’re discounting how important the actual performances are.

Cherry Jones wanted to remind you despite progress in other categories performance doesn’t seem to the matter for guests.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Everyone’s out here overreacting about Streep vs Dern meanwhile I’m remembering the performance Shailene gave in episode 2, specifically the moment in Ziggys bedroom where she tells him the truth about his father. Quite honestly that was the most memorable moment of the season for me and probably the best acted. It sucks that Woodley is overlooked not only because she didn’t get enough screen time but also because her character is more internalized, to me she gives the most human performance of the entire cast

Which really highlights how, as great as this show is, it let most of its characters besides Kidman and Dern fall to the wayside. Kravitz had so much potential that was wasted, and I feel the same way about Witherspoon, Streep, and Woodley. In a way, it is unfair to compare most of these performances because the writers obviously had bias in developing some over others and Streep would have been the MVP had she received the same amount of attention as Dern.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I’m being sort of hypocritical given that I just compared Dern and Streep but it is true that they’re compared much more often than male contenders from the same series. In fact, the disparity last year between the discussions of Comer/Oh, the GOT ladies, and Colman/Clifford always coming up and male contenders of the same series barely getting a peep is concerning. Even if I prefer Dern, I don’t think that Streep is one note and she was outstanding with what she was given. It is of note though that regardless of our own opinions, plenty of voters will inherently compare Dern to Streep and prefer Dern, which will effect both of their chances.

I think a lot of that has to do with people on these forums just preferring actresses to actors haha.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Cherry Jones wanted to remind you despite progress in other categories performance doesn’t seem to the matter for guests.

I mention Jones and Martindale a few lines below.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think we’re getting to a point where we aren’t distinguishing a “good performance” from “good material and/or ample screen time” anymore. Both Oh and Jones did NOT give bad performances – at least that’s what I think – but the material, character and/or screen time just doesn’t let them shine all that much. Jones was still great in her 7-8 minutes of “Holly.” The reason why I don’t think she deserved to win is her competition; Lange, Tyson and van Houten would have easily been ahead of her for me. And Rashad probably too.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

OhJulian
    Participant
    Topics:

So now that Veep and Fleabag are over and Barry is allegedly not coming back next year, does this mean a Maisel sweep is bound to happen?

I don’t see The Politician making a huge splash whatsoever.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Which really highlights how, as great as this show is, it let most of its characters besides Kidman and Dern fall to the wayside. Kravitz had so much potential that was wasted, and I feel the same way about Witherspoon, Streep, and Woodley. In a way, it is unfair to compare most of these performances because the writers obviously had bias in developing some over others and Streep would have been the MVP had she received the same amount of attention as Dern.

season 2’s writing let down just about every character besides Celeste and Mary-Louise. Even with the spotlight Renata got her arc did not feel complete.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.