Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 502 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
ginnala
Stegeo
Luca Giliberti
  • Christina Aguilera
    Participant
    Topics:
    Keymaster
    Topics:

#EmmysSoWhite https://www.vogue.com/article/emmys-so-white-emmy-awards-2019?verso=true

Look, I don’t like that I can count the number of nominees and winners of color with my hands, but Oscar/Emmys-So-White sometimes crosses a line. Would some of the nominees of color have been deserving of wins? Hell YES – Viola Davis (I mean, I am like her biggest fan), Michael K., Ava DuVernay just to name a few. But does that mean the winners were bad? NO. Jodie Comer didn’t win over Sandra because she’s white; she won because her performance was universally praised and she had flashier material in S2 (at least I f*cking hope so). No actor should or should not win based on the color of their skin, for Christ’s sake. Do I find WTSU’s under-performance suspicious? Maybe a bit. But that’s about it. The actual problem is and always will be opportunity: The reason why HTGAWM, for instance, was able to get three people of color nominated is that they’re playing characters that are black, but also aren’t black (if you know what I am getting at). Stop type-casting people of color!!

Performances will always be overlooked, white or non-white (even if the majority is unfortunately non-white). I think it’s absolutely important to talk about this topic, but I feel like this headline is now being used to merely dismiss the winners; people aren’t properly contextualizing it anymore.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

But does that mean the winners were bad? NO. Jodie Comer didn’t win over Sandra because she’s white; she won because her performance was universally praised and she had flashier material in S2. No actor should or should not win based on the color of their skin, for Christ’s sake. Do I find WTSU’s under-performance suspicious? Maybe a bit. But that’s about it. The actual problem is and always will be opportunity

This!

Also, this article is ridiculous and does not make any favor to people of color… Why voters choose European drama disaster and not American drama disaster? Does someone cares about quality and personal taste? Or only in which continent the disaster happened? And I was one of the few people that loved WTSU more than Chernobyl, however the latter is also incredible, this is offensive.

Black-ish over Maisel? Come on!

And Sandra Oh already won three major awards (GG, SAG and CC for Killing Eve) undeservedly, she beat very superior actresses (at least in this roles) like Elisabeth Moss (in the 3 ceremonies), Jodie Comer (for the CC), Keri Russell (for the Globe and for CC) and Caitriona Balfe (at the Globes).

So we can petty Sandra Oh for not having an Emmy (she did not deserve it for this role) because she is Asian, but no one writes articles about having the biggest TV icon of the last 10 years – Elisabeth Moss- without a SAG award, the superb Caitriona Balfe for having only Globes nominations and being completely ignored by the industry or for the ICONIC and LEGENDARY performance of Keri Russell that past to history with a single TCA win. They are white, so who cares. This is hypocrisy, double standards and hurts the actors of colors.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the best scenes of the year. Elektra1 Elektra2

YES MA’AM!! The definition of iconic.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Chfrik
    Participant
    Topics:

This! Also, this article is ridiculous and does not make any favor to people of color… Why voters choose European drama disaster and not American drama disaster? Does someone cares about quality and personal taste? Or only in which continent the disaster happened? And I was one of the few people that loved WTSU more than Chernobyl, however the latter is also incredible, this is offensive. Black-ish over Maisel? Come on! And Sandra Oh already won three major awards (GG, SAG and CC for Killing Eve) undeservedly, she beat very superior actresses (at least in this roles) like Elisabeth Moss (in the 3 ceremonies), Jodie Comer (for the CC), Keri Russell (for the Globe and for CC) and Caitriona Balfe (at the Globes). So we can petty Sandra Oh for not having an Emmy (she did not deserve it for this role) because she is Asian, but no one writes articles about having the biggest TV icon of the last 10 years – Elisabeth Moss- without a SAG award, the superb Caitriona Balfe for having only Globes nominations and being completely ignored by the industry or for the ICONIC and LEGENDARY performance of Keri Russell that past to history with a single TCA win. They are white, so who cares. This is hypocrisy, double standards and hurts the actors of colors.

Jesus

This post is very problematic

I feel sorry for you if don’t see the racism in industry…

It’s sad that you think that

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

For how progressive this forum likes to think it is, there are a lot of mildly racist, misogynistic and bigoted people here and the funny thing is they don’t even seem to be aware of it.

I was frustrated to see the vitriol with which Sandra Oh was treated, simply because they didn’t think she should win, even after she had received acclaim and accolades for Killing Eve. It’s not surprising. Everytime someone from a minority starts winning awards and people don’t agree with that,  they chalk it up to rACe because that is the only way these people can rationalize different opinions right? I’m annoyed at people (like the dumb was above) for acting like Oh is a mediocre actress with a mediocre performance when there’s plenty of evidence to prove the contrary. And let’s be honest, if Oh was white then she would already be an Emmy winner most likely.

Curiously I checked this year’s Oscar threads to see if they had the same reaction to another overdue narrative taking off. And as always, Goldderby didn’t fail to disappoint. I don’t think it’s necessary to point the difference in the treatment of Close and Oh. Everyone’s aware of it. One was stood on a pedestal and the other was torn down. One was met with pity on her loss, the other with cheers.

The sad thing is most people don’t even acknowledge the achievement that a 48 year old Asian woman in a lead role being still relevant is. Witherspoon and Kidman were praised to the heavens for such stuff. Why not the same for Oh? When Oh was snubbed at TCA this year, comments were made about how her performance was inferior this year so that’s why she wasn’t nominated. The same thing happened to Brosnahan but I didn’t see anyone make such assumption then.

Contrary to what some people will gather from this, my point is why does Oh have to work harder than her white co-workers to get the same level of respect, acknowledgement and treatment?

It’s nothing new though. I remember watching a video in which someone (not gonna name that person) from Goldderby made an offhand comment about how most Academy members hadn’t even watched Moonlight or 12 Years a Slave. Just like this, most insensitive comments/attitudes are not blatantly obvious.

The thing is most people preaching about racism here have a very myopic view about it. This isn’t a light issue. It’s more complex and deep-rooted than y’all realise. Remember that before you casually give some uninformed opinion on the internet about something again.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m annoyed at people (like the dumb was above) for acting like Oh is a mediocre actress with a mediocre performance when there’s plenty of evidence to prove the contrary.

Mediocre actress – no, mediocre performance – yes. Dumb for not liking her performance? Her own people tried to use the narrative with “the first Asian woman”, it is not my idea that she won those three awards mostly because of that. So, you are incapable to rationalize without insulting me personally? But then you are giving me lesson on moral, the irony.. Many of you try to describe me as rude and insensitive, but I have NEVER insulted anyone.

And let’s be honest, if Oh was white then she would already be an Emmy winner most likely.

Yes, just like Steve Carell, Michael J. Fox and Hugh Laurie.

I don’t think it’s necessary to point the difference in the treatment of Close and Oh. Everyone’s aware of it. One was stood on a pedestal and the other was torn down. One was met with pity on her loss, the other with cheers.

One has an incredible career full of iconic performances, the other have ONE good role before Killing Eve. And the joy was not towards her lost, but towards Comer’s win.

When Oh was snubbed at TCA this year, comments were made about how her performance was inferior this year so that’s why she wasn’t nominated. The same thing happened to Brosnahan but I didn’t see anyone make such assumption then.

Because it is truth in Oh’s case, I haven’t watched Maisel, but the consensus is that Brosnahan was even better in season 2.

Contrary to what some people will gather from this, my point is why does Oh have to work harder than her white co-workers to get the same level of respect, acknowledgement and treatment?

Not harder, EQUALLY good, which she didn’t do.

The thing is most people preaching about racism here have a very myopic view about it. This isn’t a light issue. It’s more complex and deep-rooted than y’all realise. Remember that before you casually give some uninformed opinion on the internet about something again.

This goes for you, it is a projection of you. It is not about race, it is about THE PERFORMANCE.

Elisabeth Moss, Caitriona Balfe, Jodie Comer and Keri Russell gave superior performances and saying that does not make me racist, it makes me objective (at least giving the fact that I am expressing my opinion).

I am the biggest fan of Yvonne Strahovksi here, but last year I praised Thandie Newton win more than anyone here, or at least as much as her biggest fans, I was one of the few that said that Newton did not won as a makeup reward for season 1, but purely on merit for season 2. Why you don’t quote me on that? Or about the fact that I was the only one that defended Regina King last year’s win, the only one that said that is not purely based on race. You do not quote me on that either. Because is easier to push FAKE narratives, so you can make people scare and guilty because they have dared to express their opinion on someone Asian, Black or Latin not deserving some award. Again, this doesn’t help anyone. And unlike you and the majority of people here, I am here with my real profile, picture and name, look my pictures and see the color of my skin, I am not even white…

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If voters chose Comer instead of Oh because the the latter is of Asian descent and the former isn’t, then undoubtedly shame on them. But if they truly thought Comer did better work in S2, then how can you fault them for that? That’s the only point I really don’t get. I don’t think anyone is calling Oh a bad actress (I would have to laugh if they did), but her material in S2 just didn’t allow to her to do as much as Comer did. Even I found myself slightly rooting for Oh before the ceremony because I realized how great it would be if she finally got recognized by the academy that long owes her that statuette.

As for WTSU, I will admit that I was pissed with a capital P that it underperformed as much as it did; it deserved so much better. The worst part about this entire season was the treatment it received in our forums: everyone labeling it as political propaganda just because it’s about the racial injustice in the US? How disgusting. People put a lot of hard work into this project; it’s a TV show like any other.

And straight away I considered it a result of racist behavior from the TV academy – that WTSU was practically shut out while Chernobyl nearly swept, which in hindsight may or may not be fair. We’ll never truly know. I also won’t lie that after the ceremony ended, I realized that three of whitest shows won the top series prizes…

My point earlier was that this Emmys-So-White/Oscars-So-White headline is starting to lose its meaning because it’s so loosely used. The problem that it actually tackles goes far deeper than what people give it credit far: The Hollywood execs are the ones that need pave the path for people of color to demonstrate their talent; it’s certainly there, but unlike white people they haven’t all been given the proper ground to showcase it. THAT’s the problem. In the end, my fear is that if we start calling every single decision racist, then we’re unconditionally lending credence to the belief that color should win over talent.

Chfrik
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that after all this conversation you still didn’t admit that the racism exists is very alarming

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The fact that after all this conversation you still didn’t admit that the racism exists is very alarming

It 100% exists, and it’s disgusting. But let’s not go ahead and pretend like every winner won because of their race. That’s not only ridiculous but also just very rude, because that means that at the same time you’re saying that Jerome and Porter won “just to make a statement,” which is such utter bull. They won because they’re freakin’ talented and gave searing performances (which doesn’t simultaneously cancel the notion that the TV academy is racist though). I remember when people deemed Viola’s win merely a statement, and that still bugs me until today, because she’s a freakin’ powerhouse. How classy to consider a winner a political statement when he or she isn’t white…

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s not only ridiculous but also just very rude, because that means that at the same time you’re saying that Jerome and Porter won “just to make a statement,” which is such utter bull.

I agree, but shouldn’t the same extend to Oh as well? Why is her sweep so intricately linked with her being Asian? I do think there were worthier people nominated. I’ve mentioned how Moss should have a SAG by now. But my personal opinion on Oh’s win doesn’t give me the right to demean it with such baseless and yes, racist statements.

I guess that’s the point of Couverture’s post? Jerome and Porter were thought as deserving but Oh wasn’t so her win was labelled as being PC. And Ivo, everyone calling it that way is no justification for you to do the same.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I agree, but shouldn’t the same extend to Oh as well? Why is her sweep so intricately linked with her being Asian? I do think there were worthier people nominated. I’ve mentioned how Moss should have a SAG by now. But my personal opinion on Oh’s win doesn’t give me the right to demean it with such baseless and yes, racist statements. I guess that’s the point of Couverture’s post? Jerome and Porter were thought as deserving but Oh wasn’t so her win was labelled as being PC. And Ivo, everyone calling it that way is no justification for you to do the same.

Oh’s wins being touted as a PC statement is, as you say, absolutely ridiculous. I do firmly believe that the Globe sealed all those other awards for her though, which is so completely normal – it repeatedly happens (Patricia Arquette says hi). I think Oh won because she had tremendous momentum and is just generally well respected. Plus, all those wins were for S1 (and her material was great in that one). And let’s be a bit real here: this show wouldn’t as big a hit as it is without her, at least in the States.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Curiously I checked this year’s Oscar threads to see if they had the same reaction to another overdue narrative taking off. And as always, Goldderby didn’t fail to disappoint. I don’t think it’s necessary to point the difference in the treatment of Close and Oh. Everyone’s aware of it. One was stood on a pedestal and the other was torn down. One was met with pity on her loss, the other with cheers.

Overdue narratives are bullshit. Whether you are black, white, Asian, Indian, Native American. It doesn’t matter, you should only win based on your performance and not a bullshit narrative. Both Oh and Close won awards they didn’t deserve based on this narrative but in the end the awards that mattered went to people who deserved it based on their performances. I’m sorry there are people treating both these losses differently but both are occasions for celebrations because they are a sign that performances still do matter.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

And straight away I considered it a result of racist behavior from the TV academy – that WTSU was practically shut out while Chernobyl nearly swept, which in hindsight may or may not be fair. We’ll never truly know.

BULLSHIT.

Chernobyl won because it was easily the superior series. It was a global and cultural phenomenon. And saying it is a result of racist behavior on TV Academy’s part is laughable at best. You just need to see the reaction towards Chernobyl’s win to understand there was no racial prejudice against WTSU, people barely clapped for Chernobyl’s series win. It shows that it won based on merit and thanks to below the line voters.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

BULLSHIT. Chernobyl won because it was easily the superior series. It was a global and cultural phenomenon. And saying it is a result of racist behavior on TV Academy’s part is laughable at best. You just need to see the reaction towards Chernobyl’s win to understand there was no racial prejudice against WTSU, people barely clapped for Chernobyl’s series win. It shows that it won based on merit and thanks to below the line voters.

Lol. Did you even bother to read the entire paragraph you quoted? I said that that was my immediate reaction, which in hindsight really wasn’t that fair.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.