Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 502 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
ginnala
Stegeo
Luca Giliberti
  • Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Overdue narratives are bullshit. Whether you are black, white, Asian, Indian, Native American. It doesn’t matter, you should only win based on your performance and not a bullshit narrative. Both Oh and Close won awards they didn’t deserve based on this narrative but in the end the awards that mattered went to people who deserved it based on their performances. I’m sorry there are people treating both these losses differently but both are occasions for celebrations because they are a sign that performances still do matter.

Exactly my point, thank you!!!

I agree, but shouldn’t the same extend to Oh as well? Why is her sweep so intricately linked with her being Asian? I do think there were worthier people nominated. I’ve mentioned how Moss should have a SAG by now. But my personal opinion on Oh’s win doesn’t give me the right to demean it with such baseless and yes, racist statements.

I guess that’s the point of Couverture’s post? Jerome and Porter were thought as deserving but Oh wasn’t so her win was labelled as being PC. And Ivo, everyone calling it that way is no justification for you to do the same.

Because, unlike Porter and Jerome, she was never universally praised for neither season, especially for the second one, in season 1 she had great reviews, but no one saw her performance as one on the level of Porter or Jerome, or Moss or Foy, and she was ALWAYS seen as lesser than Comer for both seasons.

My statement is not racist, much less baseless. I never said that she won those three awards only because she is Asian, NEVER, she had the narrative and momentum, the long time in the industry, but sadly, her narrative was based on her race, this came from her publicists and from the press. And yes, Mukund, maybe I do not have to pointed out like everybody else, but to be label as racist after my constant defend of When They See Us during the last 4 months, my battles with the fans of Jarred Harris who were attacking Jerome and many more example that I could have given is also not justifiable.

Sandra Oh did not win those three award, because she is Asian, she won them because her publicists sold her overdue factor using her being Asian and the horrible misrepresentation (which I NEVER denied and which Luca explained perfectly) of Asians, this was her narrative, the press bought it as well. And Sandra Oh is too great actress to be advertised like this, all of us agree on that. I LOVE her on Grey’s, I find her mediocre in Killing Eve.

But me saying she won the three awards undeservedly is not a racist statement, you, Makund, have said the exact same thing after every win of hers, everyone who watches TV, knows that there were, to quote you: “worthier nominees” in her categories.

And Keri Russell deserves to be praised, because what she did is out of this world excellent acting.

Instead of calling me “racist” and “dumb” ignoring all my previous comments, this user could have explained to me how can I express better myself since English is my THIRD language. Insulting me, trying to label me incorrectly and trying to censor me is not the right way.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t necessarily agree with him/her on every point Ivo and I know you don’t judge based on such things. He/she should have obviously been a bit more polite. But we shouldn’t be so narrow-minded to not consider that there are people who liked her performance more than we did and voted for her. There’s no quantifiable way to say that Oh’s performance was not as well received as say Porter because she did receive some serious praise from what I remember. And there was no overdue narrative at the Globes or SAG where she had won before so that point is moot.

The thing is our opinion on her being deserving or not don’t matter. We don’t get to question the merit of her wins because we didn’t approve. Everyone has a narrative but that shouldn’t be the lone thing to define them or their awards success.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh won Globe because she hosted the ceremony. The other 2 “sheep” just name-checked her because of that win.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Globes matter much when it comes to SAG on the TV side.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Globes matter much when it comes to SAG on the TV side.

They are utter sheep nowadays. Ofc they do. But in Oh’s case: Linney & Garner vote-splitted, Wright was just the sheep-voted repeat nominee, and they seem to not care for Moss (I guess not all of SAG members can afford Hulu) since she had lost to Foy previously, so that left Oh being the fresh, buzzy (return to TV in series regular role) but also respected one.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Limited Series will be extremely stacked. There will probably be additions to this list.

Mrs. America – FX
    Devs – FX
    The Good Lord Bird – SHOWTIME
    The Loudest Voice – SHOWTIME
    The Undoing – HBO
    Years and Years – HBO
    Mrs. Fletcher – HBO
    Catherine the Great – HBO
    *I Know This Much Is True – HBO
    Unbelievable – NETFLIX
    Dracula – NETFLIX
    Black Mirror – NETFLIX
    Hollywood – NETFLIX
    Luther – BBC AMERICA
    Truth Be Told – APPLE TV+
    Little Fires Everywhere – HULU

These are just the ones that stand a
    chance.
    *Might air in late 2020.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I had no idea that they were adapting I Know This Much Is True! That’s one hell of a story, based on the amount of material he’ll have I might have to pencil in Mark Ruffalo as a strong frontrunner for Lead Actor.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Limited Series will be extremely stacked. There will probably be additions to this list. Mrs. America – FX Devs – FX The Good Lord Bird – SHOWTIME The Loudest Voice – SHOWTIME The Undoing – HBO Years and Years – HBO Mrs. Fletcher – HBO Catherine the Great – HBO *I Know This Much Is True – HBO Unbelievable – NETFLIX Dracula – NETFLIX Black Mirror – NETFLIX Hollywood – NETFLIX Luther – BBC AMERICA Truth Be Told – APPLE TV+ Little Fires Everywhere – HULU These are just the ones that stand a chance. *Might air in late 2020.

Some more possibilities:

HBO – The Plot Against America

HBO – Perry Mason

BBC – The North Water

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I really wonder how Black Mirror will fare in Limited Series, they’ve been winning TV Movie for what, three years now? It will be really interesting to see if it can hold that popularity in a tougher category.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

One has an incredible career full of iconic performances, the other have ONE good role before Killing Eve. And the joy was not towards her lost, but towards Comer’s win.

And one of the biggest reasons for this is that their isn’t any / very few roles of substance for actresses in their 40s nevermind non-white performers.

Jennifer Hudson won a Oscar and her first role afterwards was as Carrie Bradshaw’s
    maid. The best part Octavia Spencer had for years after her Oscar win was a recurring role on a CBS sitcom (Mom) and a mother role in the smallest of indies (Fruitvale Station).

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

And one of the biggest reasons for this is that their isn’t any / very few roles of substance for actresses in their 40s nevermind non-white performers. Jennifer Hudson won a Oscar and her first role afterwards was as Carrie Bradshaw’s maid. The best part Octavia Spencer had for years after her Oscar win was a recurring role on a CBS sitcom (Mom) and a mother role in the smallest of indies (Fruitvale Station).

I think this is in line with the argument I agree with that awards shows (mostly) are not the problem, but the lack of opportunity is. When actors of color are given the part, award shows will recognize them, i.e. Jharrel Jerome, Sterling K Brown x2, Billy Porter, Regina King, Thandie Newton etc. The issue is with the lack of parts and opportunities offered to these actors. The year of the #OscarsSoWhite scandal the only snubbed contender of color (according to the GD odds) was Idris Elba. Granted, this was a large snub, but it should also be noted Elba was in a Netflix movie before Netflix was Netflix at the Oscars. Otherwise, the only top-10 contender of color in the odds was Will Smith for Concussion, for which he only hit the Globes.

Point is, I think blaming award shows for having mostly white winners is missing the larger point. To get awards, actors need opportunity. Nonetheless, at the Oscars we need another Black actress winner fucking yesterday.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t necessarily agree with him/her on every point Ivo and I know you don’t judge based on such things. He/she should have obviously been a bit more polite. But we shouldn’t be so narrow-minded to not consider that there are people who liked her performance more than we did and voted for her. There’s no quantifiable way to say that Oh’s performance was not as well received as say Porter because she did receive some serious praise from what I remember. And there was no overdue narrative at the Globes or SAG where she had won before so that point is moot.

The thing is our opinion on her being deserving or not don’t matter. We don’t get to question the merit of her wins because we didn’t approve. Everyone has a narrative but that shouldn’t be the lone thing to define them or their awards success.

Thank you for acknowledge that I am not what I was accused of. I understand your point and you are right, our own opinion should not make us blind, but again, I see a lot of double standards here, because Jason Bateman and Kit Harington were cruelly mocked on a daily basis here during the entire Emmy season, but no one defended them, because they were not part of any minority group. We must be more objective and kind, but also free to express our opinion in a respectful way and I did just that, I consider Oh a good actress, but her role/performance in Killing Eve is very mediocre and this is a very popular opinion, thanks to that I predicted what none of you could – Jodie Comer managing to avoid vote split and to win over the supposed favorite, because the PERFORMANCE matter and should always matter.

They are utter sheep nowadays. Ofc they do. But in Oh’s case: Linney & Garner vote-splitted, Wright was just the sheep-voted repeat nominee, and they seem to not care for Moss (I guess not all of SAG members can afford Hulu) since she had lost to Foy previously, so that left Oh being the fresh, buzzy (return to TV in series regular role) but also respected one.

I have always defended SAG voters, but it is obvious that they followed the Globes in some ways last year, I don’t even want to start discussing CC and the pathetic copy/paste that they did… I agree with you, but yes, the only ways in which this works is if many voters cannot afford Hulu or if many of them have bias towards Moss.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

And one of the biggest reasons for this is that their isn’t any / very few roles of substance for actresses in their 40s nevermind non-white performers.

Jennifer Hudson won a Oscar and her first role afterwards was as Carrie Bradshaw’s
    maid. The best part Octavia Spencer had for years after her Oscar win was a recurring role on a CBS sitcom (Mom) and a mother role in the smallest of indies (Fruitvale Station).

Agree with everything and I never said otherwise. Tyler’s post below your is excellent and explains my point very well. However, this sad truth does not mean that actors of color should be rewarded because of the lack of opportunities. It is not good for nobody. It is much better for actors of color when they won deservingly, the excitement towards Jerome and Porter wins, towards Newton and King wins are what people of color need! The Emmy wins of Regina King for American Crime made her the stellar performer she is now, she is going to be the main lead for HBO’s most ambitious project. This is what a worthy win can do for your career.

We must be able to be objective and thankfully awards voters agree with me, this is why Comer won. And when we have a performance like the one Keri Russell gave and when this performance won just 1 TCA award, we must be able to praise her and to treat this snub as unfair, Russell being a white and more privileged performer does take any credit of her incredible work. Same goes with Moss and her consent SAG loses, they must reward her ASAP.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh’s performance is not mediocre and no that’s not a popular opinion. The popular opinion is that Jodie is better, but most people like Sandra aswell. And those who say she is a mediocre must be really biased because she has had great scenes in the show, including the second season.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh’s performance is not mediocre and no that’s not a popular opinion. The popular opinion is that Jodie is better, but most people like Sandra aswell. And those who say she is a mediocre must be really biased because she has had great scenes in the show, including the second season.

Mediocre means average, not bad. She was average in the second season, when you are average you have great and bad scenes, she felt out of place in her own show, she managed to stand out only in the first and in the last episode, the other 6 episodes were The Show of Jodie Comer, this makes her average. Most of those issues are coming from the screenplay, not from Oh. I love Oh in Greys, even recently I stated that I would love to see her back, in the beginning I started Killing Eve for her, so no, I am not biased at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.