Home Forums Television Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 496 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
ginnala
Luca Giliberti
sofan
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Limited Series will be extremely stacked. There will probably be additions to this list. Mrs. America – FX Devs – FX The Good Lord Bird – SHOWTIME The Loudest Voice – SHOWTIME The Undoing – HBO Years and Years – HBO Mrs. Fletcher – HBO Catherine the Great – HBO *I Know This Much Is True – HBO Unbelievable – NETFLIX Dracula – NETFLIX Black Mirror – NETFLIX Hollywood – NETFLIX Luther – BBC AMERICA Truth Be Told – APPLE TV+ Little Fires Everywhere – HULU These are just the ones that stand a chance. *Might air in late 2020.

Some more possibilities:

HBO – The Plot Against America

HBO – Perry Mason

BBC – The North Water

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

I really wonder how Black Mirror will fare in Limited Series, they’ve been winning TV Movie for what, three years now? It will be really interesting to see if it can hold that popularity in a tougher category.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

One has an incredible career full of iconic performances, the other have ONE good role before Killing Eve. And the joy was not towards her lost, but towards Comer’s win.

And one of the biggest reasons for this is that their isn’t any / very few roles of substance for actresses in their 40s nevermind non-white performers.

Jennifer Hudson won a Oscar and her first role afterwards was as Carrie Bradshaw’s
    maid. The best part Octavia Spencer had for years after her Oscar win was a recurring role on a CBS sitcom (Mom) and a mother role in the smallest of indies (Fruitvale Station).

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

And one of the biggest reasons for this is that their isn’t any / very few roles of substance for actresses in their 40s nevermind non-white performers. Jennifer Hudson won a Oscar and her first role afterwards was as Carrie Bradshaw’s maid. The best part Octavia Spencer had for years after her Oscar win was a recurring role on a CBS sitcom (Mom) and a mother role in the smallest of indies (Fruitvale Station).

I think this is in line with the argument I agree with that awards shows (mostly) are not the problem, but the lack of opportunity is. When actors of color are given the part, award shows will recognize them, i.e. Jharrel Jerome, Sterling K Brown x2, Billy Porter, Regina King, Thandie Newton etc. The issue is with the lack of parts and opportunities offered to these actors. The year of the #OscarsSoWhite scandal the only snubbed contender of color (according to the GD odds) was Idris Elba. Granted, this was a large snub, but it should also be noted Elba was in a Netflix movie before Netflix was Netflix at the Oscars. Otherwise, the only top-10 contender of color in the odds was Will Smith for Concussion, for which he only hit the Globes.

Point is, I think blaming award shows for having mostly white winners is missing the larger point. To get awards, actors need opportunity. Nonetheless, at the Oscars we need another Black actress winner fucking yesterday.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I don’t necessarily agree with him/her on every point Ivo and I know you don’t judge based on such things. He/she should have obviously been a bit more polite. But we shouldn’t be so narrow-minded to not consider that there are people who liked her performance more than we did and voted for her. There’s no quantifiable way to say that Oh’s performance was not as well received as say Porter because she did receive some serious praise from what I remember. And there was no overdue narrative at the Globes or SAG where she had won before so that point is moot.

The thing is our opinion on her being deserving or not don’t matter. We don’t get to question the merit of her wins because we didn’t approve. Everyone has a narrative but that shouldn’t be the lone thing to define them or their awards success.

Thank you for acknowledge that I am not what I was accused of. I understand your point and you are right, our own opinion should not make us blind, but again, I see a lot of double standards here, because Jason Bateman and Kit Harington were cruelly mocked on a daily basis here during the entire Emmy season, but no one defended them, because they were not part of any minority group. We must be more objective and kind, but also free to express our opinion in a respectful way and I did just that, I consider Oh a good actress, but her role/performance in Killing Eve is very mediocre and this is a very popular opinion, thanks to that I predicted what none of you could – Jodie Comer managing to avoid vote split and to win over the supposed favorite, because the PERFORMANCE matter and should always matter.

They are utter sheep nowadays. Ofc they do. But in Oh’s case: Linney & Garner vote-splitted, Wright was just the sheep-voted repeat nominee, and they seem to not care for Moss (I guess not all of SAG members can afford Hulu) since she had lost to Foy previously, so that left Oh being the fresh, buzzy (return to TV in series regular role) but also respected one.

I have always defended SAG voters, but it is obvious that they followed the Globes in some ways last year, I don’t even want to start discussing CC and the pathetic copy/paste that they did… I agree with you, but yes, the only ways in which this works is if many voters cannot afford Hulu or if many of them have bias towards Moss.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

And one of the biggest reasons for this is that their isn’t any / very few roles of substance for actresses in their 40s nevermind non-white performers.

Jennifer Hudson won a Oscar and her first role afterwards was as Carrie Bradshaw’s
    maid. The best part Octavia Spencer had for years after her Oscar win was a recurring role on a CBS sitcom (Mom) and a mother role in the smallest of indies (Fruitvale Station).

Agree with everything and I never said otherwise. Tyler’s post below your is excellent and explains my point very well. However, this sad truth does not mean that actors of color should be rewarded because of the lack of opportunities. It is not good for nobody. It is much better for actors of color when they won deservingly, the excitement towards Jerome and Porter wins, towards Newton and King wins are what people of color need! The Emmy wins of Regina King for American Crime made her the stellar performer she is now, she is going to be the main lead for HBO’s most ambitious project. This is what a worthy win can do for your career.

We must be able to be objective and thankfully awards voters agree with me, this is why Comer won. And when we have a performance like the one Keri Russell gave and when this performance won just 1 TCA award, we must be able to praise her and to treat this snub as unfair, Russell being a white and more privileged performer does take any credit of her incredible work. Same goes with Moss and her consent SAG loses, they must reward her ASAP.

Profile picture
    ginnala
    Topics:

Oh’s performance is not mediocre and no that’s not a popular opinion. The popular opinion is that Jodie is better, but most people like Sandra aswell. And those who say she is a mediocre must be really biased because she has had great scenes in the show, including the second season.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Oh’s performance is not mediocre and no that’s not a popular opinion. The popular opinion is that Jodie is better, but most people like Sandra aswell. And those who say she is a mediocre must be really biased because she has had great scenes in the show, including the second season.

Mediocre means average, not bad. She was average in the second season, when you are average you have great and bad scenes, she felt out of place in her own show, she managed to stand out only in the first and in the last episode, the other 6 episodes were The Show of Jodie Comer, this makes her average. Most of those issues are coming from the screenplay, not from Oh. I love Oh in Greys, even recently I stated that I would love to see her back, in the beginning I started Killing Eve for her, so no, I am not biased at all.

Profile picture
    No
    Topics:

The clip they’ll be playing right before Octavia snatches her Emmy for Truth Be Told.

Banned for making a fake movie poster

These are messy but here are my October Comedy Predictions

COMEDY SERIES

1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (Amazon)
    2. The Good Place (NBC)
    3. Run (HBO)
    4. Schitt’s Creek (Pop)
    5. Dead to Me (Netflix)
    6. Russian Doll (Netflix)
    7. The Politician (Netflix)
    8. Will and Grace (NBC)

COMEDY ACTRESS

1. Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2. Kristen Bell – The Good Place
    3. Catherine O’Hara – Schitt’s Creek
    4. Gwyneth Paltrow – The Politician
    5. Christina Applegate – Dead to Me
    6. Linda Cardellini – Dead to Me

Next in Line : Debra Messing, Kirsten Dunst, Helen Hunt

COMEDY ACTOR

1. Ted Danson – The Good Place
    2. Ben Platt – The Politician
    3. Domnhall Gleeson – Run
    4. Eugene Levy – Schitts Creek
    5. Michael Douglas – The Kominsky Method
    6. Anthony Anderson – Black-ish

Next in Line : Paul Rudd, Paul Reiser

COMEDY S.ACTRESS

1. Kate McKinnon – Saturday Night Live
    2. Jessica Lange – The Politician
    3. Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4. Phoebe Waller-Bridge – Run
    5. Marin Hinkle – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    6. Jameela Jamil – The Good Place
    7. Megan Mullaly – Will and Grace
    8. Cecily Strong – Saturday Night Live

Next in Line : Zoey Deutch, Lucy Boynton

SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2. Alan Arkin – The Kominsky Method
    3. Alec Baldwin – Saturday Night Live
    4. William Jackson Harper – The Good Place
    5. Sean Hayes – Will and Grace
    6. Luke Kirby – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    7. Kenan Thompson – Saturday Night Live
    8. Dan Levy – Schitts Creek

COMEDY WRITING

1. The Good Place
    2. <i>The Marvelous Mrs Maisel</i>
    3. Run
    4. Russian Doll
    5. Russian Doll
    6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    7. Dead to Me

COMEDY DIRECTING

1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2. The Good Place
    3. Russian Doll
    4. Dead to Me
    5. Will and Grace
    6. The Politician

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Luke Kirby in Supporting?

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

It’s not 100% certain that Run, Russian Doll and Dead To Me will be released before May 31, and also why nobody considers On Becoming a God in Central Florida for Emmys?. Critics liked it more than The Politician and it has a big name attached to it.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

It’s not 100% certain that Run, Russian Doll and Dead To Me will be released before May 31, and also why nobody considers On Becoming a God in Central Florida for Emmys?. Critics liked it more than The Politician and it has a big name attached to it.

Is someone watching it though? It has only 1200 votes on IMDB…

Luke Kirby in Supporting?

He was not eligible for Guest and was eligible for Supporting in the first season and he seems to have a bigger role this season according to the Maisel trailer. I think Maisel will grow in number of nominations following it’s wins this year which solidified it in the position of second place Comedy Series and also the fact that Barry may not be eligible as well as Atlanta, Fleabag and Veep definitely being ineligible. Had Fleabag not been nominated, Best Comedy Series and Actress would have gone to Maisel.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Super Early Emmys 2020 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.